The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Dipping my toe in the water

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kyne | 3 comments Hello!

I've joined this group because I'm interested in reading some crime, but am new to the genre. Over the past year or so, I've been watching more and more of it on TV. I think it's about time I started reading it too.

I'm an author of romantic comedy, so this is a bit of a departure for me.

Elizabeth

message 2: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Nov 16, 2011 12:20PM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Hi Elizabeth, welcome. And don't be afraid: no sharks in the water here and nobody bites... even if there are a few (!) dead bodies around.

message 3: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome Elizabeth. You could ease into mysteries by starting with cozies such as the Hamish McBeth series by M C Beaton or if you like something a little more serious and historical the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear or just head for the deep end and try something by Ian Rankin or Val McDermid.

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Hello!

I've joined this group because I'm interested in reading some crime, but am new to the genre. Over the past year or so, I've been watching more and more of it on TV. I think it's about ti..."

For something a little on the lighter side to start with you might want to try the series by Margaret Maron (SC woman judge). If you like horses and horseracing try some of the Dick Francis books, some of the ones in the middle of his writing career are probably the best ... The Danger, Proof, Reflex, Straight ... all good. For something a bit older and definitely with a touch of humor, try the first 5 books in the Miss Seeton series by Heron Carvic.