readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Looking for something like Jhumpa Lahiri or Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet or

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanie (last edited Nov 16, 2011 10:55AM) (new)

Joanie | 5 comments My friend and I were trying to think of other books like The Namesake or Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. She really likes books about the immigrant experience, particularly that of Asian immigrants. Suggestions?

message 2: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
i actually think lahiri's first book, the one of stories: does a fantastic job with that: Interpreter of Maladies. each story kind of touches on acclimatization in different ways. also - because i was just reading over all the threads for the paper, i am reminded of American Born Chinese, which is a perfect graphic-novel depiction of the pull between cultural heritage and wanting to appear "american." but to stop poaching my own threads, let me think of an original suggestion. well, there is A Step from Heaven which is for younger readers, but i have never seen the experience captured more sweetly or sadly. if the initial voice turns you off, know that the character grows up, and as she does, the narrator's voice changes. it is beautiful.

message 3: by Christy (new)

Christy (christymtidwell) | 149 comments I really enjoyed Gish Jen's Typical American, which is about a Chinese family who comes to the U.S. (There's a sequel, too, I think, but I haven't read it.) Also, I'm not sure if this is quite what she wants, but Maxine Hong Kingston's The Woman Warrior is amazing. Some parts are more about the immigrant experience itself than others.

message 4: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments I haven't read the books you are talking about but
Paper Son: One Man's Story
is one of my favorite books ever, it's about a chinese man who came over to america while basically no immigration was allowed through fake documents. It's a memoir

message 5: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments I Hotel

I forgot, this is like a more postmodern attempt it's a bunch of novellas about asian immigrant experiences in california

message 6: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 5 comments Writing them all down-thanks all!

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (rizeandshine) Shanghai Girls, by Lisa See, is a great book and includes a very historic look at the immigrant experience in California. If you're interested in non-fiction at all, On Gold Mountain, is a wonderful account of Lisa See's Chinese-American family and their life in early Chinatown.

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 110 comments You've probably already thought about this since it's pretty well known, but how about The Joy Luck Club? There are also others by the author, Amy Tan, that would fit what you're looking for.

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 110 comments Just saw this book on goodreads and thought it might be perfect for you. The Jade Peony