TV We've Just Watched discussion

Cancelled/Series Ended > Downton Abbey

Comments Showing 1-50 of 518 (518 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Jackie (last edited Dec 22, 2011 08:28PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Getting excited for Season 2 on Jan 8th. Not too long now.

I really love this show. The people, the sets, everything about it. I've got a huge crush on Hugh Bonneville, LOL

I love Elizabeth McGovern's role as the American wife of Lord Grantham.

Mary's a bit of a bitch. I can't stand needy pathetic Edith. I love Sybil.

Love Matthew. Hate his mother, I can't remember her name here, she'll always be 'Harriet Jones, Prime Minister' from Doctor Who to me, lol

message 2: by Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (last edited Nov 16, 2011 09:14AM) (new)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 69 comments I've seen season 2. It turns things around. I didn't think season 2 was as good as the first. The timeline this season is set over WWI so over 4 years. It feels a little rushed at times. I'm still looking forward to season 3 though.

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments PS: DA will have a Christmas Special in the UK. I assume it'll be tagged onto the end of S2 in the US.

message 4: by Jackie (last edited Jan 29, 2012 06:57PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Amy, please put your comments in, just use the spoiler tags. I would like to discuss S2 with you.

For example: (view spoiler)

For everyone else on Season 2, don't read the Spoiler Tags up to comment 23 until you've finished the entire season.
Please feel free to start talking about the new season

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 69 comments (view spoiler)

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I totally agree. (view spoiler)

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments (view spoiler)

message 9: by Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (last edited Nov 16, 2011 02:59PM) (new)

message 10: by Jackie (last edited Nov 16, 2011 03:16PM) (new)

message 12: by Jackie (new)

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I couldn't agree more. Your entire comment is exactly how I feel. (view spoiler)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 69 comments LOL! Sweet, but dim. So true. (view spoiler)

message 16: by Jackie (last edited Nov 18, 2011 07:33PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments We're two peas in a pod!
(view spoiler)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 69 comments Good predictions. (view spoiler)

message 18: by Jackie (last edited Dec 16, 2011 09:55PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Watch a preview of Season 2 here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/c...

And Season One will re-air as follows:
December 18 & 25, 2011; January 1, 2012 at 9pm
Downton Abbey, Season One
Episodes 1 & 2 (Dec. 18th - 180 minutes);
Episodes 3-4 (90 minutes); TV-PG

I'm a little confused on the S1 dates above which were copied from the PBS Schedule. I plan on checking my local listings.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 69 comments The end of season 2 Christmas special was fantabulous!

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Jackie (last edited Dec 25, 2011 05:03PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I'll get to it later, the Doctor Who marathon and Xmas Special takes precedence.

message 21: by Jackie (last edited Dec 25, 2011 10:11PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments The Xmas Special was indeed the best episode of the season!

(view spoiler)

Titanic looks good. I'm not sure I want to see something so sad. Well, we've got til April to decide.
Dubbed as the 'television event of the year', 'Titanic' has been sold to 57 international countries worldwide and is set to broadcast around the world at the same time to coincide with the 100th Anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. April 12th to the 15th.
ITV in the UK, ABC in the US
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcxYZq...
Oh who am I kidding, I'll watch it, lol

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 69 comments Yes! Christmas Day Downton won the viewer battle with 11.53 million watching it!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/...

message 23: by Holli (new)

Holli Maggie Smith’s acid-tongued Countess will no doubt have something delightfully bitchy to say about this: Oscar winner Shirley MacLaine is joining the cast of Downton Abbey as the mother of Elizabeth McGovern’s American-born Lady Grantham.

According to The Daily Beast, MacLaine will appear during the international phenom’s third season, which begins production next month (just as Season 2 winds down on PBS.)

“My late grandfather directed Shirley MacLaine in Gambit in 1966,” said executive producer Gareth Neame in a statement, “so it is a delight for me that she will be joining us on Downton Abbey.”

message 25: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Has anyone seen the preview for the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel?
Maggie Smith (Violet) and Penelope Wilton (Isabelle) along with Judi Dench, Bill Nighy and Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire)
It looks spectacular! I can't wait to see it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDY89L...

message 26: by Holli (new)

Holli Question: I love Downton Abbey so much. Any scoop on this Sunday’s Season 2 finale? —Nicolas
Ausiello: There’s a pregnancy, a breakup, a proposal, a séance, a death and a poignant scene between Mary and her dad that will reinforce everything you love about this show.

message 27: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 143 comments According to the BBC, most of the cast has agreed to come back for seasons 3,4 and 5.

Hopefully they will all be wonderful.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments They have been renewed that far out? I didn't know that.

message 29: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments I've been hearing about DA for ages and have finally checked it out. Love it! Is season 1 really only 7 episodes?

message 30: by Jackie (last edited Apr 01, 2012 10:03AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Yes, the Brits have shorter seasons which is why they get to the point and have superior TV shows.
Season 2 has 8 eps and a Christmas special.

I'm thrilled it's been renewed...although it wasn't in doubt. It's a huge hit on both sides of The Pond.

message 31: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Good point Jackie, they do get to things quicker.

Today I watched S1 E3 where that guy dies while shagging (or whatever he was claiming to do to her) Mary. I about fell over laughing! I couldn't help it, she already pisses me off.

message 32: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments And that's just the beginning! Oh you've got a lot good times coming your way.
Mary was a bitch at first but she grew on me. I hate Edith. Downstairs hates are Thomas and that hag O'Brien.
I'm impressed with the set and costumes as well as the storylines.

message 33: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments I could see Thomas and O'Brien are trouble especially if they scheme together.
Y
And yes, the sets are amazing!! I was wondering about that. Are they filming on location? Make a majority of those sets? Either way there budget must far bigger then anything in The US.

message 34: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Most of 'upstairs' is filmed at Highclere, 'downstairs' had to be recreated in a studio.
http://www.highclerecastle.co.uk/down...

message 35: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Thanks, Jackie

message 36: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Watched S1 E6 - he writting on this show is so good. One might think it all stuffy-British drama but every episode there has been some little comment or action or reaction that has made me chuckle or laugh out load. This past episode, Cora and her MIL were discussing if Mary would accept Mathews proposal and MILs back up plan if she does not is to take her to Rome..."when in these situations one can always find a Italian that's not too picky.".

message 37: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Violet is hilarious, she's got a dry sense of humor, I'm not quite sure if she means to be funny or not. Doesn't stop me from laughing though.

message 38: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments And I agree to what you said prior about Mary growing on you. She has her moments.

message 39: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments I just finished Season 1. Looks like there will be some staff changes in Season 2. Netflix doesn't have Season 2 yet so I am going to have to find it somewhere else. Any suggestions?

message 40: by Jackie (last edited Apr 11, 2012 11:10AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments You might be able to view it online at PBS. Hulu doesn't have season 2. I'd go a google search for 'watch free online' and see if anything is available.

You have a DVR, see if it's On Demand.

message 41: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Thanks Jackie. We have Dish Network and their on-demand does not seem to be as good or as extensive as cables.

message 42: by Holli (new)

Holli I'm putting this in spoilers in case people don't want to know yet :)

(view spoiler)

message 44: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments What??? (view spoiler)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 69 comments Jackie wrote: "What??? [spoilers removed]"

Yes, especially since (view spoiler)

message 46: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Amy, I think (view spoiler)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 69 comments Jackie, I hope so, on both counts.

message 48: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Right! lol

message 49: by Holli (new)

Holli Update!

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments So none of it is true?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11