What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. girl in Europe, walled garden, fire, farmers market

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 12 comments I've been looking for this book for a long time. Read it sometime in the 70s.

It's about a young girl who moves. Ends up on property in maybe England. Finds a walled garden on the property in a very bad state. She visits a farmers market where someone gives her gardening advice. So she burns the dead brambles and such within the walls.

Unfortunately the fire climbs the dead vines over the walls and out into the fields. She somehow gets the fire out. Grows a succesful garden. And sells her crops at the farmers market...

Anyone?

I loved this book!!!!

message 2: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 12 comments Gads! No one's read this book? Please help!

message 3: by Jenifer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Jenifer (jeniferholly) | 23 comments Except for the fire, it sounded like The Secret Garden... but I guess that's just what comes to mind when someone mentions a walled garden in England. Sorry I can't be of any help.

message 4: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 12 comments Yeah, I know. I always want to say first, this is NOT the Secret Garden...sigh!

message 5: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 12 comments Bump up. Hoping someone can help me!

message 6: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Alexandra | 40 comments How about Mandy by Julie Andrews Edwards? I read it too long ago to remember if there's a fire, or farmer's market, but it sounds like it may be it. Here's the description from Amazon:

"For an orphan child whose life is filled with comfortable, predictable sameness, with no particular hardships, life is, well, all right. Really, what does Mandy have to worry about? So it comes as a surprise even to Mandy when a small restlessness begins to grow in her. This lonely ache sets her to wandering farther afield, and leads her to a startling and wonderful discovery over the orphanage wall--a very old, very small, seemingly abandoned cottage. Embarking on a clandestine domestic fantasy involving gardening tools and soap flakes, Mandy finds herself being less than honest about where and how she's spending her days. Holding her secret closer and closer to her heart, this imaginative dreamer inadvertently endangers her reputation--and her life."

message 7: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 71 comments I thought of Mandy too, but there's definitely no fire in that book, and she doesn't sell any crops at a farmer's market either. The walled garden in bad shape part fits, but none of the rest of it.

message 8: by Jo (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Jo | 2 comments I read a lot of this kind of story to, but nothing comes to mind that fits. I wonder if it might be worth it to put you discription up in childrens books. Maybe a few differnt readers might see it.My fingers are crossed for you. I want to know WHEN you find out what it is!:) Jo

message 9: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 12 comments Thanks Janis, Laura, and Jo.

I kinda like the sound of Mandy, but I don't think that's it...I don't recall her being an orphan. Hmm, but I think I'll check it out just to make sure.

Jo, is there a specific children's book group you'd recommend?

message 10: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 12 comments Closer check on Mandy shows it can't be my book, just by date. The one I read is at 'least' thirty years old.

message 11: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Alexandra | 40 comments Mandy was around in the 70's - I read it around that time. The publishing date on Amazon must be a reprint date - the cover is certainly different than the copy I had. Just checked the copyright page option, and the copyright date is 1971.

But it still sounds like it may not be the right book. If I think of something else I'll let you know.

message 12: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 12 comments Janis, I just went to Amazon to read all the reviews of Mandy and now I really wonder...could it be? I'll let you know once I find and read a copy.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 26717 comments Mod
Foxthyme, did Mandy turn out to be your book? If so we can move this from Possibly Solved to Solved.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 26717 comments Mod
No response from Foxthyme in 2+ years. Moving to Abandoned.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mandy (other topics)