Authors Lounge discussion

Discussions > WARNING HERE BE TROLLS!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Bowers (bridgetbowers) | 212 comments That's such a terrible experience. I've heard a lot of groups here on Goodreads can be very unfriendly to authors. So far I seem to be lucky, the groups I've joined have been friendly and supportive. Although in some strictly reading groups I try to keep author talk to a minimum in order to not seem "spammy."

I hope you don't let one incident ruin what is overall a great site to learn tricks from other authors and meet new readers.

message 2: by Agent (new)

Agent S.D. | 151 comments Mod
Sorry to hear about that. :( Thanks for the warning.

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Brooks (kathleen-brooks) That's horrible! Are there any other groups out there that are bad? And on the other side of the coin, any groups that are really good? I love my historical romance group and one contemporary group is really good too. If any one is interested and I get the names.

message 4: by Dicey (new)

Dicey Grenor (diceygrenor) Shane wrote: "Hello, I thought it would be very beneficial to the group. To post a thread about groups that authors should stay away from.

I will begin with perhaps the strangest occurrence that has happened..."

I'm so sorry you had to deal with that, Shane!

message 5: by Dicey (new)

Dicey Grenor (diceygrenor) Virginia wrote: "I think it must be very cool to be named Dicey. Cute and yet giving that warning."

Exactly! LOL

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard Sutton (richardsutton) | 110 comments Well, give 'em a keyboard, an over-inflated opinion of themselves and a lot of time on their hands, and voila! We get a nation of book trolls!

I don't belong to a lot of groups, but this one is supportive and I'd also recommend Litopia for the writing side of things (if you're an Indie, keep a low profile about that, though) and Publetariat for the marketing Indie side of things. There are some that will drain you of time and provide nothing but a good, hard lesson. I count Authonomy among these.

I also have found, along with Ginmar, that the Amazon groups can be riddled with folks who just want to blither ad-infinitum. I tread pretty lightly in any of them, and have gotten accustomed to contacting a mod and asking before I post any info about any of my books.