Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Post-Book Depression

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nikki (aka Quinn) | 69 comments So I just finished all of Juliet Marillier's (aka my fav author)books and I seriously feel depressed. It is a happy sad feeling because I enjoyed them so much but also sad because there are no more to read yet. Can anyone else relate to this feeling when you finish a book or series?

message 2: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 34 comments I finished The Last Little Blue Envelope today and I need more! I am actually sad that it didn't go on, I want to know more about the characters. I just don't feel satisfied, however I loved it.

message 3: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Yes, absolutely! Harry Potter was a big one for me. Oh, and Moning's Fever series.

I'm terrified of reaching the end of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and I know it's coming soon.

Nikki, I haven't had a chance to read Daughter of the Forest yet, between group reads and challenges. Can we push back meeting for coffe a nother few weeks. Maybe around early december?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Oh, Nikki, I felt the same way when I finished Juliet's books. I've re-read some of them and bought the audio for The Dark Mirror (it is the best audio I have ever listened to - the reader is incredible) and the audio for Cybele's Secret. She is such an incredible story teller.

I felt the same way after finishing CL Wilson's Tairen Soul series - so I picked the first one up and read them all again. I can't wait for another book by both of them.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I feel that way after a lot of Aussie books like On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta and Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar . Most recently I felt like that after A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness - that book left me drained.

Nikki (aka Quinn) | 69 comments Wendy F wrote: "Yes, absolutely! Harry Potter was a big one for me. Oh, and Moning's Fever series.

I'm terrified of reaching the end of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and I know it's coming soon.

Nikk..."

Yeah for sure I can do it in early December... I am just excited to meet up! I felt like that after the Fever series too. You just grow to like the characters and feel apart of their world and then you have to come back to reality... At least I'm not the only one :)

Nikki (aka Quinn) | 69 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "Oh, Nikki, I felt the same way when I finished Juliet's books. I've re-read some of them and bought the audio for The Dark Mirror (it is the best audio I have ever listened to - the reader is incr..."

I love audio books so I will have to give those a listen! I think I am going to buy all of her books so I can lend them out and I barely ever buy a book.

message 8: by Diana (new)

Diana | 62 comments Yes! There are some books that just stay with me for so long because of it.

message 9: by Lily (new)

Lily (lily_crussell) | 9 comments Find an UBER long series so it will be longer before the next post book depression. That's why I've started the 'A Song of Fire and Ice' as it's ridiculously long so I should be ok for a while. x

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments I've had it happen fairly often but definitely with Juliet's books. I was so unable to move on when I finished CL Wilson's Tairen Soul books that I picked the first one up and re-read all five again - and enjoyed every minute of it. Total let-down when I finished the Outlander series - then I waited three years for the latest one. Now waiting again.

Nikki (aka Quinn) | 69 comments Terry- have you read any of Brandon Sanderson's stuff?? It is pure fantasy but it gives me the same feeling as reading Juliet

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Nikki, I just put Mistborn on my TBR list. Have you read The Tairen Soul series? It is absolutely my favorite fantasy read ever. It starts with Lord of the Fading Lands

message 13: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments This happens to me very often, generally after a really sad book where I connected with the character, or after a really good one, when I realise I will never read it for the first time again. Anyone else have that?

Nikki (aka Quinn) | 69 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "Nikki, I just put Mistborn on my TBR list. Have you read The Tairen Soul series? It is absolutely my favorite fantasy read ever. It starts with Lord of the Fading Lands"

I will have to read it :)

message 15: by Brittany Leigh (new)

Brittany Leigh (tark_leigh) I just read Cinder by Marissa Meyer and I'm totally wanting more.

message 16: by Julia (new)

Julia I've just finished Until I Die by Amy Plum. I guess I didn't expect to like it as much as I did so now I'm depressed because I want more. Oh, me...

message 17: by Ashley (last edited May 31, 2012 04:16PM) (new)

Ashley (ashleylaura87) | 9 comments This happens to me all the time too. The obvious time with Harry Potter, but more recently with The Book Thief by Markus Zusak . Also, much to my suprise The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer , I wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much. But the most epic for quite some time is the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning which starts with Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning .

message 18: by Laura Beth (new)

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) | 229 comments For you all who love Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - check out Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati. Not exactly the same, but I loved them just as much!

message 19: by Tara (box5angel) (new)

Tara (box5angel) (bizzeereading) | 10 comments Yes! I know that feeling well. I think that's probably why I read so many different series because when a favorite ends, I still have more left to read. But it still doesn't stop me from feeling that way.

message 20: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 578 comments Nikki (aka Quinn) wrote: "So I just finished all of Juliet Marillier's (aka my fav author)books and I seriously feel depressed. It is a happy sad feeling because I enjoyed them so much but also sad because there are no mor..."

Nikki, there's still one more book coming from the Sevenwaters series. There will be six total. But I totally feel you. I will be so sad after that final book :( But, Juliet has new stuff on the way, so I have something to look forward to as well.

message 21: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 578 comments Tarkaneea wrote: "I just read Cinder by Marissa Meyer and I'm totally wanting more."

I haven't read Cinder yet, but I really want to. I was just looking at the page for the next book in the series. I think it's called Scarlet. It's still in Cinder's world and I believe she is in the book, but it will center around a different character- Red Riding Hood.

Nikki (aka Quinn) | 69 comments Bethany wrote: "Nikki (aka Quinn) wrote: "So I just finished all of Juliet Marillier's (aka my fav author)books and I seriously feel depressed. It is a happy sad feeling because I enjoyed them so much but also sa..."

I know..I can't wait :)))