Historical Fictionistas discussion

The Night Circus
This topic is about The Night Circus
Group Read Discussions > November/December 2011: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new) - rated it 1 star

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3683 comments Mod
Discuss the book here. Remember to mark all spoilers!

message 2: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 252 comments Cool! So glad this one was picked. I think I'll get the ebook version and borrow my boyfriend's Nook for it.

message 3: by Darkpool (new) - added it

Darkpool | 16 comments Library waiting list is so long I'd be unlikely to get it until at least January, so I'm passing.

Rose Ann I just finished this a few weeks ago!! Erin Morgenstern is an amazing storyteller!!

Stacey (slkenn79) | 82 comments I finished this one at the end of October - I absolutely loved it!

Diane S ☔ Read this about a month ago and I loved it also. Can;t seem to recall what was historical about it though.

message 7: by Becky, Moddess (new) - rated it 1 star

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3683 comments Mod
Isn't it Victorian? I think I heard that somewhere... but I'll admit I have just about zero interest in reading this book, so I didn't really investigate it much. =\

*bad mod*

Silver The book is set in the 19th century, I cannot locate my copy and I do not recall the specific dates off the top of my head so I am not certain if it is Victorian or Pre-Victorian.

Shomeret | 248 comments I'm number four on the library waitlist, so it's possible that I'll get it while this group is still discussing it. I've got my fingers crossed.

Stacey (slkenn79) | 82 comments It takes place roughly between 1880-1905.

message 11: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex | 48 comments I've read this recently and LOVED it, however I do agree that the historical setting isn't really a factor in the story like it is with most HF. I think it's just a story that wouldn't work in modern day times so it's set in Victorian times as a plot device.

Morgenstern's writing is absolutely captivating though.

message 12: by J.A. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.A. Beard (jabeard) I was going to check it out from the library, but there are 248 people with a hold on it already. Geeze. People really want to read this book, so I just ended up ordering it. :)

Jeanna I'm so disappointed! I ordered "Selene of Alexandria" to read for the author's choice and never got it. Now I'm 120 on the list to get this one from the library. It seems like I'm destined to be behind with this group! Maybe the others ahead of me will read fast!

Kristine (kristinekae) | 262 comments I just finished it and I was torn at first. Letting it all settle and I find that I really liked it.

Nicole | 2 comments Kristine wrote: "I just finished it and I was torn at first. Letting it all settle and I find that I really liked it."

I was torn, as well. If it hadn't become available at the library, I wouldn't have made the effort to get the book. I am very skeptical of a book with so much publicity and didn't think it could possibly live up to the hype. I know I am more critical, the more I hear about a book. Because of this, it took me a little longer to lose myself in this. In the end, I very much enjoyed it!

Kristine (kristinekae) | 262 comments You read my mind Nicole....

Kathy Fantastic read; wonderful imagery; interesting characters. I found the book to be very philosophical. There were so many different layers to the story just like the circus tents; you could go in whatever direction you desired.

message 18: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana ****Reads Alot**** I absolutely loved this book and just finished it last week. It was such a great story telling read that it basically had me hooked from the 2nd chapter.

message 19: by Felina (last edited Nov 24, 2011 04:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Felina | 500 comments I'm not terribly far along in this one...maybe just 10% but barring any crazy turns I think I'm going to enjoy it. I really enjoy the writing style and, so far, the characterization has been really well done.

Luckily, I'd never heard of the book until HF picked it so I have no hype issues. :)

message 20: by Tina (new)

Tina Boscha (tinaboscha) | 15 comments I haven't started this yet, but I must admit I am both intrigued and yet have this feeling (based out of insecurity) that the book really can't match up to the hype. Yet all I've heard is that it really does match up to the hype!

Oh, ego. I think I just need to go download it already and join in the discussion!

Linda | 0 comments This author's imagination is incredible! A fascinating read from cover to cover.

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (rockstarninja) | 138 comments This has nothing to do with the book, but every time I see the title of this thread I think it says S. Morgenstern and I think to myself 'that's not even a real guy, how is he writing more books? Maybe it's a sequel to the Princess Bride.' But then I read it again and realize that's not what it says and get a little disappointed.

message 23: by Daisy (last edited Nov 28, 2011 12:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Daisy (essexcurl) I finished this book a few weeks ago. It's such a beautiful story that cleverly draws you in to the magical, mystical world of the characters. I got so caught up in the rhythm and I love that you can enjoy the story in bite-size chapters. Well worth a read.

message 24: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Melissa wrote: "This has nothing to do with the book, but every time I see the title of this thread I think it says S. Morgenstern and I think to myself 'that's not even a real guy, how is he writing more books? M..."

What a great book and movie. Wish they would do a really good sequel.

Felina | 500 comments I'm in total book love with this one. I'm a little over half way.

message 26: by Bill (last edited Nov 29, 2011 07:58AM) (new)

Bill (kernos) | 39 comments Just want to add a link to the book for us on slow dialup: The Night Circus. I wish all such discussions would start with a like to the book in question.

message 27: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Kernos wrote: "Just want to add a link to the book for us on slow dialup: The Night Circus. I wish all such discussions would start with a like to the book in question."

If you click on the book cover on the top of the thread it brings you to the same link you just posted.

message 28: by Anne (new)

Anne Ipsen | 121 comments I'm not sure why, but I was never notified that The Night Circus was the current book choice--what am I not doing? I am 456th on the library list of 184 copies, so I'll never make it by Dec.15. I hope to join the discussion on the next choice--if I find out what it is in time!

message 29: by Dani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani Minner | 3 comments I am about halfway through this book, and I love it! I love the detail in the descriptions...and I feel like they are very emotion provoking..at least for me.

message 30: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I finished this book a couple of days ago. I really enjoyed it.

message 31: by jb (new) - rated it 3 stars

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) A friend of mine is sending me this book. I am eternally grateful to her and am very excited to read it.

message 32: by Diane Whitney (last edited Nov 30, 2011 05:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane Whitney | -3 comments I read this book in October and loved it!

Spoilers Here~

At first, I found it annoying the way the story's time line jumped around, even though the story flowed very well. Towards the end when the contortionist (borrowed book from library don't have one handy to refer to for her name) was explaining how everything in the circus was controlled by the magicians except for time (she was one of several characters to say that they couldn't control of time, including Alexander and Hector), I got it...It's the authors world and she controls "everything" including TIME, that made me appreciate the time line and like the story even more. Just one of the many layers of this book, it's told best disregarding a traditional time line.

Which "teacher" did you (dis)like the most? In your opinion, who's "teaching style" was more effective?

Shomeret | 248 comments I have it from the library now, but there are two library books due sooner.

Diane S ☔ When I finished this book I so wished there was actually a circus like this. Had such a feeling of astonishment and delight, a feeling that I really did not want to leave.

message 35: by J.A. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.A. Beard (jabeard) I'm starting on the book this weekend. I wanted to read it over Thanksgiving but ended up not having pretty much anytime to read! :(

message 36: by Dani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani Minner | 3 comments I am only about halfway into the book, but I get what you are saying about the TIME. Interesting. I think that Hector is the better teacher, although I didn't like him at all as a character. He taught based off of survival skills. His student had to perform tricks to stay alive and well. And I think that creates a stronger person to have to perform magic for survival rather than strictly for lessons.

message 37: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (last edited Dec 02, 2011 01:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
I'm almost done, so I'll comment once I've finished.

I was looking at the author's website for this book and found out she has an Etsy store. Her store is on hiatus, but if you look under the sales tab on the side bar you can see what she has sold. I noticed that many of the images are ones described in The Night Circus. Here's a link if anyone interested: http://www.etsy.com/shop/phantomwise/...

Felina | 500 comments I think the better teacher question is interesting. I'd go with neither and both. Their methods were both kind of horrible. (view spoiler)

Rose Ann Jackie wrote: "I'm almost done, so I'll comment once I've finished.

I was looking at the author's website for this book and found out she has an Etsy store. Her store is on hiatus, but if you look under the s..."

Interesting! Thanks for the link!

Nancy Chen (nancymchen) The book was so beautifully written! But I had trouble following the time line since I was reading an ebook version. I'm hoping to reread it to catch details I missed the first time through. (:

Felina | 500 comments I had the same problem with the timeline. I didn't even pay attention to it until I noticed there was a difference in timeline. Then it was annoying switching back on the ebook.

Felina | 500 comments When this comes out on paperback I'm doing a reread.

message 43: by Kathy (last edited Dec 04, 2011 05:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathy I bought a copy of this book as a secret Santa gift for the book club I am in.

Felina | 500 comments Well your secret santa is very lucky.

message 45: by Shomeret (last edited Dec 10, 2011 12:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shomeret | 248 comments I started reading this yesterday on the bus, and I have to confess that I was considering abandoning it. I thought the style was beautiful, but it was too episodic. It wasn't just the time switching. The character viewpoint switching was so frequent that I couldn't get a good grasp of any of the characters. But I was also dealing with lack of sleep. I had done an all nighter for school and gone to work. I decided that it wasn't fair to judge the book based on my mentally compromised state. So I continued reading today after a good night's sleep and I'm now intrigued by several of the characters--especially Isobel because she reads Tarot. (view spoiler) I still think there is too much switching of viewpoints, but I think it's gotten better.

Diane S ☔ Finished this several months ago and was completely enchanted. Not only did I think it was something new and different but I so wanted to go to this circus. I think the closest we come to is Cirque de Soleil and I do find that circus enchanting but there is just something about this book that I found magical. Can;t wait for her next one, must be really hard to repeat after one has had such success with a first novel.

Shomeret | 248 comments I read the interview with Erin Morgenstern on GR in which she said that she preferred the Cirque de Soleil, so she may have had them in mind when she was writing her novel, Diane.

My favorite circus act is the trapeze, and I'm a bit disappointed that so far (up to page 228)that there are no trapeze artists in The Night Circus.

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Laura K (last edited Dec 13, 2011 12:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura K | -14 comments I am very enchanted by this novel, and though I am listening to the audiobook, I believe I will also read the physical book at some point in the future. I tend to agree with Shomeret about the viewpoint switching, sometimes very difficult to follow when listening to the audiobook.
A week or so ago, I read the reviews for this book on goodreads and came across Maggie Stiefvater's comprehensive review; this helped to provide clarity to my reading experience. I also imagine this circus like Cirque du Soleil, but more magical. I really love the magicalism in this story.

message 49: by Anne (new)

Anne Ipsen | 121 comments I have just started reading the book and am captured! It seems more of a fantasy than a historical novel, but there is nothing wrong with a little mystery.

message 50: by J.A. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.A. Beard (jabeard) Normally, I'm dubious of too many viewpoints, but I'm really enjoying how this book flows both in writing style and the magical elements.

This is the advantage of book clubs (virtual or otherwise). I don't think I would have picked up this book normally, and I'm glad I did.

« previous 1