Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > My Kindle Is Dead; Call the Marines!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) Just kidding (about the marines). Not sure why it died (screen is black; no way to turn it on or off or even know whether it's on or off) completely. I think it ran out of juice, but, even charged up, nada. It's a K2 & about 2 years old, so I've been thinking about getting a new one anyway, so I'm not devastated (much). Any suggestions about whether I should get the cheap model with or without ads, the touch with or without ads, the one with the physical keyboard? I don't want the Fire because I use it exclusively as a reader. All suggestions will be most appreciated.

message 2: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 29 comments I've had it happen to me. Try this first

You will need to write this down, or try to memorize it, because if it happens to you I’m willing to bet you won’t remember unless you’ve reset your Kindle a few times!

If you would like to print this out, click here to read my post on the Free Kindle Books Plus a Few Other Tips blog to how to capture screen shots on your Kindle.

If this happens to you, you will need to reboot your Kindle. Here is how you do it:

1.Click the “Home” button to get back to your home screen.
2.Click the “Menu” button, and select “Settings.”
3.You will see several options, but “reboot” is not one of those options. Press the “Menu” button again.
4.You will have several options, but choose and click the “Restart” button.
Once you do that, it will take about 1-2 minutes to reboot. Make sure your wireless is on, and the Kindle will go look in the Amazon store to see what is pending to be downloaded and viola! You should be back in business. If you ever need to restart your Kindle, I hope this helps!

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) Thanks, Tricia, but I can't see anything on the screen. It is blacked out. When I slide the on/off switch, it kind of blinks a little, but then it goes black again. So I can't click on any options on the Menu because I can't actually see the Menu.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlb) | 50 comments Have you tried holding the power switch to the right for 15-20 seconds, and then waiting to see if it reboots?

If that doesn't work- call Amazon support and ask them. More often than not they seem to just send you a new one, even if it's an upgrade.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) Thanks, Aenea, I have tried that. I didn't think Amazon would send a new one since this one is no longer under the 1-year warranty. I'll contact them and see what they say. Thanks!

message 6: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) Call Amazon! When this happened to my K2 a few months ago they offered me a new K2 for $40 or a K3(3G) for $60, I went with the K3, a week later all of the new kindles were announced. I ended up getting the new K4, I'll be getting a fire for my birthday (tomorrow) and a touch for christmas. I use the K4 for nearly everything now (well at least anything where I have access to wifi). The only problem I have with the K4 is the lack of 3G since I use the sync function a lot in places with no wifi.

If you care about price amazon can probably tell you what kind of deal you can get on each model if you send back your dead K2. Either that or they actually fix your K2.

message 7: by Steph (new)

Steph (lovessf) Hi everyone. I was just wondering if any of you have ever done a 'Factory Default' on you're kindle? I just want to know if it's a good idea, or if people have a trouble with it?

message 8: by Jen (last edited Nov 20, 2011 10:24AM) (new)

Jen (jenlb) | 50 comments I did it once with no problems at all. Make sure that you have backups of anything that you're not sure you can replace, because once you do it, your kindle is a blank slate again :-)

message 9: by Karen M (new)

Karen M Steph wrote: "Hi everyone. I was just wondering if any of you have ever done a 'Factory Default' on you're kindle? I just want to know if it's a good idea, or if people have a trouble with it?

The user guide recommends you NOT use Factory Default unless a Kindle Tech tells you to. As Aenea said your Kindle would be back to the it was when you received it.

message 10: by Steph (new)

Steph (lovessf) @ Aenea. I have made sure I have every single book and document saved somewhere safe, ready to transfer back to my Kindle :)
@ Karen M. That's kind of what I am looking for, a blank slate. I had to reset my Kindle the other day due to a problem on the screen. It hasn't been the same since. I have always viewed my books by collection, and the most recently viewed/added collection was always at the top of the home page. Now no matter how I view them, my books are just all over the place. Fingers crossed this will work, I have tried everything else to get it back to how it was before.

message 11: by Karen M (new)

Karen M Steph wrote: "@ Aenea. I have made sure I have every single book and document saved somewhere safe, ready to transfer back to my Kindle :)
@ Karen M. That's kind of what I am looking for, a blank slate. I had t..."

I'm crossing mine too!

message 12: by Steph (new)

Steph (lovessf) Thank you Karen. I am double checking that I have all of my books ready on the laptop. I'm going to do it tonight :)

message 13: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) It's amazing how quickly we become dependent on things like this.

I broke mine and went without for 4 days (broke it on New Years Day) to get the replacement. It was still under warranty and they replaced it for free.

Today I left it at home. I can read at work. I feel naked with out my kindle.

message 14: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Do you have a computer at your desk? The Cloud Reader is perfect for that!

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) Hi, all ~ Thanks for your responses! I called Amazon and, as Shaina said they would, even though my K2 was out of warranty, they sent me a new (not refurbished) 3G Kindle Keyboard for $40 plus the cost of shipping, which I thought was a pretty good deal.

message 16: by Char (new)

Char  | 64 comments Nice, Mary! I would've been freaking out. I have a Kindle Keyboard and I do love it.