European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Group Reads > The Borgia Bride - Prologue -Chapter 9

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandy (last edited Nov 16, 2011 07:55AM) (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments My copy of The Borgia Bride is STILL on hold at the library. They only have ONE copy, and I'm next up...but apparently the person in front of me is a very slow reader.
SO - if anyone else has a copy and has an idea of how to divide up the discussion, please let me know! Otherwise, I will stop into a Barnes and Noble later on this week :)

In the meantime, those who are already reading the book can at least begin discussing the first section, Autumn, 1488 here. And we'll add to that later.

ETA: Please discuss The Borgia Bride, prologue through chapter 9, here.

message 2: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I bought it for the Kindle back when it was on sale, so I'll check it out when I get home! Ugh, I don't know when I'm going to read it (too many other things going on right now) - I'm going to try to squeeze it in for this group read though!

message 3: by Robin (last edited Nov 17, 2011 05:06AM) (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments Mandy wrote: "SO - if anyone else has a copy and has an idea of how to divide up the discussion, please let me know!"

This is what the Table of Contents looks like (gotta love Kindle for easy copy/paste), sorry it's so long, I'm not sure how to best split it up but since my Kindle gives me percentage points I can mark off some of them off so if you want to divide it into thirds or fourths, you know where they are. Hope it helps!

ETA: I've removed the TOC since it was so long and no longer needed, it was just taking up a lot of space.

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments Robin - thank you so much!
Without knowing exactly when/where the story might change, I think I'll just divide the discussions into thirds.
Prologue through Chapter 9 (beginning of Late Spring, 1496)
Chapter 10 through Chapter 26
and Chapter 27 through Afterword.

Sara - I searched the net yesterday, trying to find a table of contents for this book (which I couldn't, obviously.) but I did read several excerpts, including the prologue and a few pages of the first chapter. It looks really good! I'll be reading it, too, but will be starting a little late because of my library being so slow. I'd buy it, but I haven't loved Kalogridis in the past...thinking this one looks a better than the others I've tried, though.
Anyway, you and I will be a bit behind together :)

message 5: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I didn't really care for the last Kalogridis I read either (it was fine, I can see why people liked it, just wasn't for me), but Amazon had this one on sale for $2 or $3 a couple months ago, so I figured it was worth the gamble. :)

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments No problem, Mandy.

I read Devil's Queen first and thought it was good but not great - but Borgia Bride is much better, definitely worth the read. I don't know what her other books are like - I have no interest in the Vampire series and little interest in I, Mona Lisa. I have Scarlet Contessa on my to-read list but it's not highly rated.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Witzler (kewitzler) Just began The Borgia Bride. I have been reading A Game of Thrones and its sequels this year and was immediately struck by the character names - Sancha and Jofre. So similar to Sansa and Joffrey... Interesting the way the Italian nobility viewed their illegitimate offspring.