Debates of all sorts discussion

Arts & Entertainment > Downloading Music/Videos

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 399 comments Mod
Good or bad? Why?

message 2: by Cody, Ninja (last edited Nov 15, 2011 07:10PM) (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
I assume you mean pirated videos and illegal downloads HA HA HA!! I do this all the time, who cares?

The way I see it, it's like taking a candy bar but instead of the store being out one candy bar it just magically reappears, so you get the candy free and the ridiculously wealthy music industry isn't out any product just a little bit of insubstantial profit.

message 3: by Anony-miss (new)

True. You should totally look at a documentary called Ripped. It's on Hulu, if I'm correct, and they featured it once (that's how I found out about it). It's about video (but mostly music) piracy. As it turns out, some music industries - labels, like EMI for example) - are evil and don't care about the creative process.

I think you can download something as long as it is for personal use? Sometime the lines blur with that. I know I might download something if I'm unsure if I want to buy it or not. If I really like it, I like to buy the album. Or, better yet, forget the label and donate straightly to the artist (I know enough small bands where this is common). Indie artists might link a safe and nice download from their page along with a donation if you so choose to donate. Radiohead did that and they gained a lot of money .. but more people, surprisingly, downloaded the songs illegally than from the legal download way on their site. Bizarre and a little sad, no?

So, yeah, I still like to buy albums and such, especially physical CDs or vinyl. But sometimes I know that the label might screw over the band, so you really have to keep in mind not all the money is going to the artist ..

message 4: by Anony-miss (new)

Oh! Oh! Oh! College radio is awesome. A lot of artists like to leave their demos and promos in the studio. I like to take some home to my own CD/cassette player and listen to them and think about playing them or not. I also get some discounts from some record shops too ..

message 5: by Cody, Ninja (new)

The only reason most people think it's bad is because it's illegal. Anything that is illegal gets an automatic taboo and thus the sheep (people who don't think for themselves) think it's bad.

Oh and I've actually used illegal sound effects in plays in which we do get profit. No one has ever said a word, hell the directors basically told me to do it.

message 6: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
Yeah, I think it's fine too. Donating straight to the artist is a great idea.
Oh, and Tenebris, I think the reason people downloaded the songs illegally anyway is because that's just what they're in the habit of doing and it doesn't really make a difference to them - they get it for free anyway :P

message 7: by Anony-miss (new)

Yeah ..

I remember my interview for the radio show. "If you play music, don't say you got it illegally from x site" :-P

message 8: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Wait, they actually said that??? O.O

message 9: by Anony-miss (new)

haha, yeah xP

message 10: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

...Wow. That's kinda sad >.<

message 11: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis Cody wrote: "The only reason most people think it's bad is because it's illegal. Anything that is illegal gets an automatic taboo and thus the sheep (people who don't think for themselves) think it's bad.

O..."

Okay, but no. Downloading illegally is bad because you're depriving someone of profit on something they spent time and money producing. Yes, the music industry is a huge business; yes, if you download one song by a big-name artist illegally they're not going to miss your 99 cents. However, what if the artist whose music you're downloading is independent? What if they have no huge record label pushing their music and advertising and making sure their CDs are in every store? What if they're someone producing something beautiful, investing in it heart and soul? At that point, what you're doing is straight-up theft and, I'd say, morally wrong.

There's also the fact that the economy functions on demand. The best way to ensure that something you like continues to be produced is to pay for it, and while that sucks, it's true. The TV show Chuck was on the chopping block at the end of every single season, but its fans made a point of patronizing its advertising sponsors and saved it year after year. By supporting something monetarily, you encourage the companies that put it out to give you more of it or of similar content. If you download the things you like illegally, the companies don't see any benefit to producing them; eventually, they may stop doing so and then you'll be completely bereft.

With all that said, I download illegally as well. Sometimes, especially as a young person, you just don't have the funds to buy everything you want; some things aren't available in all countries and the only way to get them is online. However, I try to keep track of all those things and plan to pay for them when I have the money. It's just something I feel I owe to the artists.

message 12: by Anony-miss (new)

True. But when, like I've said, it is something I really want or something I'm really interested in or just plain an artist I want to support, I will buy their stuff. But it's best to find a way to actually donate straight to the artist, lest the record company leaches a ton of the money. Not all, but a lot of independent artists will have a donate link on their site. :-)

Yeah, I'm broke too .. wish I had a job x-P

message 13: by Cody, Ninja (new)

But you must realize the only reason that CD is 5-7$ or the song 99cents is due to piracy, before piracy was strong a CD was 20-30$ they had a huge monopoly and now that we do have the piracy it's been lessened making them reasonable.

message 14: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Really? Yay for competition o.o

message 15: by Kogiopsis (last edited Nov 19, 2011 10:58PM) (new)

Kogiopsis Cody wrote: "But you must realize the only reason that CD is 5-7$ or the song 99cents is due to piracy, before piracy was strong a CD was 20-30$ they had a huge monopoly and now that we do have the piracy it's ..."

Citation needed, please. Most CDs aren't $5-7 right now, anyhow, unless you're buying them on clearance; they still run between about $13 and $20 on average. Song prices are actually going up, at least on things that I pay attention to - there's a lot more songs for sale on iTunes at $1.29 than there used to be.

Besides, it doesn't make sense that record companies would lower prices to compete with something that's free. It makes more sense that prices would increase to offset what they lose to piracy.

message 16: by Anony-miss (new)

Yeah. Most albums I see on Amazon are $9 - $16. But I've never seen $20 .. unless it was an imported CD or if it is some delux edition, I suppose. I've seen vinyl for $4.50 (it was a fairly common record, and it was only a single not a whole album, but still ..)

message 17: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Uh sorry I failed, I don't buy CDs often, but they still have dropped due to lowering sales due to people getting them for free.

Here's a really recent article that may not mention piracy but it does show that sales are dropping both digitally and in CD format, this probably has to do with piracy and the economy http://arstechnica.com/media/news/201...

Now, I'll be honest I can't find recent articles, many 2002-2003 ones but that isn't up to date info, But the Amazing Atheist (a guy who was their when CD prices were high) has a video that deals with this and the SOPA act that I posted in the SOPA topic.

message 18: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis That article does help support your point; thank you.

(And I watched that Amazing Atheist video; after browsing a few of his others, I'm inclined to take anything he says with a grain of salt.)

Even if prices are going down, that doesn't make piracy a good thing. It's not like you're saying that people are only pirating CDs until they get albums to a certain price - piracy will always be the cheaper option. Record companies can keep driving their prices down, but eventually they reach the point where it's not sustainable. And then what happens? They go bankrupt, and all that music you wanted to pirate is no longer available in any form because the singers and technical sound crew have lost their jobs.

My point is basically this: downloading is not the be-all and end-all of crimes, but it's still important to pay for things when you can.

message 19: by Cody, Ninja (new)

I'll agree to a point, but it has helped put down CD prices which I also think is a good think, it helped kill a monopoly.

message 20: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Yes, and it's not like music companies have no other way of getting revenue. Shows, T-shirts, posters...plus, bunches of people still buy CDs or iTunes songs. Well, probably not so much iTunes anymore, but CDs for sure....

message 21: by Anony-miss (new)

Not so much iTunes anymore? Are they less popular now?

(I don't really use iTunes ..)

message 22: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

They raised the price from .99 to $1.29, I assume that would lose a bunch of customers...'-_-

message 23: by Anony-miss (new)

Oh wow. Last time I check each thing was $.99 ..

message 24: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Yeah, that's how it used to be...actually, I think they even got into a lawsuit over how their gift cards still said .99 and it was false advertising or something.

message 25: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Ah, piracy. I'm quite torn on the subject. Obviously, as Anila has said, it takes profit away from artists––some of whom may be struggling, and that's unfair. And I think that whenever possible, you should pay for something you want. But there are times, especially when you're a student, when you can't afford to purchase all the things you want. And the Internet just makes it so easy to download things, so the temptation can be hard to resist. I don't think it's a good idea to be downloading huge masses of pirated material, but a couple things once in a while probably isn't going to make a tremendous difference.

message 26: by Anony-miss (new)

When I usually pay for something, it's direct like buying shirts and other merch from the band during a concert. Or I can find a way to directly donate or purchase something sans label (usually this can be found with smaller bands, but larger bands have been successful with a simple "donate" button on their site)

message 27: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "it takes profit away from artists"

Not really...the company gets most of it.

message 28: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Well yes ... most of it, but not all of it. At least some of it goes to the artist.

message 29: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Very little...I mean, have you noticed artists missing loads of money because of pirating?

message 30: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ No, and that's why I don't really have anything against pirating. You do understand that, right? XD I'm just saying, the downside is that it takes some profit away from those artists, however little it is––and if it's a band/artist that's not very well known, that can make more of a difference. But, that doesn't mean I think pirating is wrong. I think that in the end, it could even increase profit for an artist since it helps to spread awareness of that artist faster.

message 31: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Oh, OK. And no, I thought you meant that you did think pirating was wrong. Sorry!