Debates of all sorts discussion

Science. > Living Forever

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 399 comments Mod
Someone mentioned something about how scientists are currently working on a way to make people live forever. How will they do this? Will it have any consequences? Is it beneficial, for the most part? Etc. etc.

message 2: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
Okay I should probably post the show that put my mind on the living forever thing in the first place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzhxtm... part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTex2Q... part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4cxLw... part 3

Watch it, it's awesome!

message 3: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Really? I disagree. I don't want to be here for maybe 90 years... I need more time. Even if it's not forever an extra few hundred years would be nice

message 4: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Oh oh oh, I'm not talking about aging the whole time. But being basically 30 or so for your whole life (like Adam was in the video) But yes there is a problem presented with evil dictators.

message 5: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to, but I read an article about scientists discovering a gene in fruit fly intestines that can create, if transferred properly, a longer life span for humans. It's amazing. But, of course, its only a discovery.

message 6: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Cody wrote: "Really? I disagree. I don't want to be here for maybe 90 years... I need more time. Even if it's not forever an extra few hundred years would be nice"

Life is precious; when you streatch it out infinitely, it loses worth and meaning. Some beautiful things...you just can't have it all.

message 7: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments luhvBOOKS *~Colin Morgan/JD Forever~* wrote: "Cody wrote: "Really? I disagree. I don't want to be here for maybe 90 years... I need more time. Even if it's not forever an extra few hundred years would be nice"

Life is precious; when you str..."

This is a very good point. And imagine, the worst people would be living forever.

message 8: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
I'm not sure if I'd want to live forever, but it's definitely a fascinating idea....

Also, if anyone's interested, we were talking about something quite similar in my bio class a while ago and this came up: http://www.alcor.org/ They're a cryonics company, their website is...interesting.

message 9: by Anony-miss (new)

I think we all have to die eventually .. besides, I'd be mighty lonely when my a) family dies b) pets die c) friends die d) sweetheart dies.

message 10: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Even if everyone lives forever, I don't think I'd like it much.

message 11: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis ♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "I'm not sure if I'd want to live forever, but it's definitely a fascinating idea....

Also, if anyone's interested, we were talking about something quite similar in my bio class a while ago and thi..."

Come to think of it, a cryonics debate would be interesting...

As far as this goes - frankly, I don't think it'll ever become a scientific reality. There are so many factors that go into the body's aging process that it's just too complicated to stop. However, if people are doing research as if that's their goal, they might come up with some other good results. Telomere degeneration, for instance, stops a cell from dividing - a scientist who was looking into that problem with an eye towards immortality might also find a lot of other cool new things.

message 12: by Anony-miss (new)

True, true

message 13: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Or we could have ways to stop this. Maybe a council of immortals that are elected from all current immortals who have the power to well basically kill any immortal who is becoming to powerful.

message 14: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Cody wrote: "Or we could have ways to stop this. Maybe a council of immortals that are elected from all current immortals who have the power to well basically kill any immortal who is becoming to powerful."

Surely you have to realize those immortals would be the corrupt ones we were trying to stop?

message 15: by Cody, Ninja (new)

we could make several fail safes, maybe mortals could vote to end evil immortals. Their are many ways to stop political evils as long as it's though of before the fact.

message 16: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments There are, but the question is would they work? When's the last time a vote has been fair? Do you think they're paying attention to what the people want in elections?

Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

Okay, yeah, I think I've erased half of my credibility by inserting a line from the Matrix here. But still.

message 17: by Cody, Ninja (new)

I would say that those problems you state were caused by bad planning ahead. If you thought of every eventuality and made the rules of voting even more stringent to prevent corruption it could work.

message 18: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments I doubt it. As long as we still have the government ruling the people, nothing will change. If anything immortality will make it all worse -- the really evil ones will just live longer. There won't be any hope. There's no justice in the system we have now. Things would have to change dramatically before the immortality was introduced, so dramatically that it's improbable.

message 19: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Personally I just want no need more time... there is so much I want to do and so little time, I want to be their and help humanity progress. I want to be their to see the future of science and fight to keep people free of government oppression. Even if my life is only doubled, it's more time!

message 20: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments It's a nice thought, Cody, and I agree with you. But let's face it -- the bringing of immortality would bring nothing but bad in the world as we know it today.

message 21: by Cody, Ninja (new)

But it could bring good... We just need it regulated in a heavily stringent way... It could work, if people just tried. Damned human race, why are you so evil?

message 22: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Cody wrote: "But it could bring good... We just need it regulated in a heavily stringent way... It could work, if people just tried. Damned human race, why are you so evil?"

For the 10 people that try there is the 3 or 4 government officials that control half an army that try harder. Yes, humans are pretty awful when it comes to being, you know, not awful.

message 23: by Cody, Ninja (new)

>.< It irritates the hell out of me. Why can't we have nice things :(

message 24: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Anila wrote: "There are so many factors that go into the body's aging process that it's just too complicated to stop."

Do you want a cryonics debate? ^-^

And I suppose that's true...sort of. If we tackled them one at a time, I feel like we could overcome anything.

But by the way, aging is not the only cause of death. You're all ignoring that :P Everybody would eventually die, it would just take longer.

message 25: by Anony-miss (new)

Like when a vampire gets staked! lololol ..

.. Anyway ..

I do think that cryonics is a whole other debate in itself.

message 26: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Yes, just like that xD

Alright, I shall make the topic!

message 27: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Nina wrote: "Personally, humanity can't be trusted. We've got an idea in our heads that we can control democracy and the way people are, but humanity is just too rough. It's like kids in a classroom. Humanity i..."

The government is the hopeless teacher? Hate to break it to you, but they're kind of the problem.

message 28: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Well you must remember immortality doesn't mean invincibility (sp?) a bullet to the brain is a pretty good cure for a corrupt ruler.

message 29: by Anony-miss (new)

This is indeed a tricky element. Who is to say "x" is in charge? What makes someone corrupt? And if they have all the power, surely they would have protection? Is it worth being immortal?

So many variables ..

And about corrupt people, there are several corrupt people in this world who have power they don't need .. *sigh* But then again, if a group of people dislike what one man/woman is doing in power, this group might dub them as corrupt. So what may be corrupt to one person may not be corrupt to the next.

message 30: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Very true, corrupt is relative, evil is relative, wrong is relative, good is relative, right is relative, etc.

message 31: by Cody, Ninja (new)

True, murder is considered wrong in modern day society. But at the same time many "modern" people condemn homosexuality and abortion as immoral. So yeah society is F-ed up.

message 32: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Murder is corrupt because it substantially hurts someone. (/Captain Obvious) I think something is corrupt if it really hurts someone emotionally/psychologically (never quite got the difference between the two), physically, or socially...or in some other big way that I can't think of off the top of my head '-_- But you get the idea.

message 33: by Cody, Ninja (new)

I was being sarcastic :P, sarcasm doesn't translate well over text, sorry :)

message 34: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Oh, I wasn't even replying to you >.< Sorry.

message 35: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Oh whoops lol, your reply made sense to what I said and usually unless denoted otherwise I take whatever is said by someone to be in reply to the one who posted above them unless it's just a statement that's obviously not an answer to someone or obviously pointed to someone else.

message 36: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Aleph wrote: "power hungry people DO hurt people, socially, emotionally, psychologically you name it. and it will be this kind who can a) find the money to have this sort of operation and b) are more than up fo..."

Yeah, if this becomes a thing it could definitely create chaos. :/

Cody wrote: "Oh whoops lol, your reply made sense to what I said and usually unless denoted otherwise I take whatever is said by someone to be in reply to the one who posted above them unless it's just a statem..."

Same...but in that comment I was adding on to what you said but not really replying to it...if that makes sense xD

message 37: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Oh yes I see lol.

message 38: by Anony-miss (new)

So now we're debating corrupt power, leaders paired WITH immortality? Whoa. xD

message 39: by Cody, Ninja (new)

He he, apparently that's the biggest problem these people have with immortality. I say a bullet to the corrupt immortal's brain is a good cure. ASSASSIN!

message 40: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Exactly, it's not like it'd actually make people legit immortal...just old. x]

message 41: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Cody wrote: "He he, apparently that's the biggest problem these people have with immortality. I say a bullet to the corrupt immortal's brain is a good cure. ASSASSIN!"

ASSASSIN YEAH.

Just had to express my approval of this.

message 42: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Tenebris In Lux wrote: "Someone mentioned something about how scientists are currently working on a way to make people live forever. How will they do this? Will it have any consequences? Is it beneficial, for the most ..."

Three words:

Worst idea ever.

Don't even get me started.

message 43: by Isaac (new)

Isaac It's just not a good idea. We're going to have to die someday. Humans can't change that. You would keep aging.

message 44: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Nina wrote: "http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/stor...
Just another scientific way of preserving humans. Its basically like organ cloning..."

That's awesome. I hope they succeed. It will help many people.

message 45: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis Aleph wrote: "A scientist's train of thouht after having just discovered how to organ clone:
Holy shit! I'm rich."

No, that would be the pharmaceutical company who may have been sponsoring their research, not the scientist. A scientist's reaction would really be more of "ooh, cool! What else can I do with this?"
Most people don't go into science for the money, and especially not into this sort of research.

message 46: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Emily [Just singin' in the rain] wrote: "It's just not a good idea. We're going to have to die someday. Humans can't change that. You would keep aging."

So how is it not a good idea?

Nina wrote: "Yep, I agree. But that doesn't stop those scientists, they just don't want to face the truth of it all."

How so?

message 47: by Isaac (new)

Isaac ♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "Emily [Just singin' in the rain] wrote: "It's just not a good idea. We're going to have to die someday. Humans can't change that. You would keep aging."

So how is it not a good idea?

Nina wro..."

It's not a good idea because of the aging.

Would you really want to live for an eternity with arthritis and Alzheimer's and all this other medical junk while the earth is dying from overpopulation and pollution?

I think I would rather die.

message 48: by Cody, Ninja (new)

I don't think you understand. Those things would be stopped. You wouldn't age. You would be young forever. Watch the videos I posted at the beginning of the topic.

message 49: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Oh....

I still think I would rather die, though. I don't want to be in this wold 100 years from now. It would be awful.

message 50: by Cody, Ninja (new)

How come? For all you know the world could improve. There is no one saying your loved ones couldn't receive immortality and science is only getting greater, with the advance of knowledge such as science the world will get better and more peaceful.

« previous 1