NaNoWriMo discussion

2011 NaNo Novels > Illusory Magic

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Maggie (last edited Nov 29, 2011 06:31PM) (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments
Title: Illusory Magic, a tentative title (though I've grown to like it).

Description:
Helena, our sixteen-year-old protagonist from northern Virginia, has just been told by her parents that she was adopted. All her life, she's trusted them, and then they kept a secret like that from her? For sixteen years? So what was she to do, except maybe run away, blow off some steam, then come back later?

Except she didn't get the chance to do the coming-back bit. Caught in some other, distant world, now she is being carried by bounty hunters to the self-named King Erik the Mighty, all for the crime of being an elf. Except she's not an elf, right? There must be some mistake.

Soon enough, though, after narrowly escaping being thrown into the castle dungeons, Helena must come to terms with a simple truth: She's not who she's thought she was all her life. She is an elf, and now must travel to the elven kingdom of Ilnieke to find her place in this new world. Along the way, she'll find adventure, death, and surprising details on her true identity.

Excerpt:
“Should’ve just given them away, elf,” Aida muttered, arms tense around Helena once more. Helena didn’t answer, staring out into the forest. She realized now that there was no going back. The pieces fit together—the flash of light in the woods the day before, the old-style clothing, even the way these people talked. The strange weather, way too cold for the beginning of fall, and even the lack of houses around for miles told Helena that somehow, she wasn’t in Virginia anymore. In fact, Helena suspected she wasn’t even in the same world.

As tears ran down her face, Helena steeled herself as the truth came to her. She was stuck here, maybe forever, and was headed off to her doom. Closing her eyes, Helena sent out one final wish that her parents would forgive her for running away. She hadn’t meant to stay away forever, but it seemed like there was no returning to the life of Helena, ordinary-girl-from-northern-Virginia. Now, she was Helena, mistaken-for-an-elf, riding-to-her-certain-doom. And that one realization pained her most of all.

Chapters:
In which the world turns upside-down and backwards
In which unexpected bonds are made
In which a home is found
In which Helena learns of her gift
In which an adventure commences
In which a tragedy occurs
In which a promise is made
In which much is explained, and much is discovered
In which old friends meet again
In which the Forever Lost is found
The Tale of Aerldijyinijya, Forever Lost

message 2: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments I've just finished the fourth chapter, and am working on the fifth.

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments Thanks, Lauren. Can't wait to read it once it's up!

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments ^_^

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments Chapter five (well, half of it) is up!

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments ^_^

message 7: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments Chapter six is up. Geez, didn't think I'd have time to write, but I guess I did!

message 8: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) | 140 comments Mod
I love it! :D

message 9: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments Thanks. ;)

message 11: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments THanks. I need to look at the rest of yours, too. :D

message 12: by Shayla (new)

Could ya'll read mine at all?

message 13: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments It's fine.

message 14: by Shayla (new)

Yeah, me neither Magtail. ^^'

message 15: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments It makes me feel popular when I have all these posts on my topick ;)

message 16: by Shayla (new)

Exactly, Magtail. You're very popular!!

message 17: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments So popular. :P

message 18: by Shayla (new)

:D

message 19: by Maggie (last edited Nov 27, 2011 12:36PM) (new)

message 20: by Shayla (new)

I just updated all of my chapters! Please read! I'll read yours soon, Maggie. I just need to finish writing :S

message 21: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments I need to, too. I've read the first chapter of both of y'all's, and they look GrEaT!

message 22: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments :O Bad girls.

message 23: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments Bye! *salute*

message 24: by Shayla (new)

I caught you, Laurwhisker! :O

message 25: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments :O

message 26: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments You did NOT just use all-caps on Shaystar, did you? *gasp*

message 27: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments So you've got a month to live. What are you going to do with that month?

message 28: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments Ah, smart. I need to catch up on GR, too. NaNo has been like a straightjacket on my roleplaying. A lovely, rigorous straightjacket.

message 29: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments I feel awful, since I used to roleplay all the time.

message 30: by Shayla (new)

Magdalena (Maggie) wrote: "You did NOT just use all-caps on Shaystar, did you? *gasp*"

I wish GR was like Facebook and had a 'like' button xD

message 31: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments That would be amazing!

message 32: by Shayla (new)

I know, right?!

message 33: by Shayla (new)

I REALLY wish there was a 'like' button now.

message 34: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments :O Wow, more popularization? :) My computer says that's actually a word...

message 35: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments I'M A WINNER!

message 36: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments :D Thanks for the support.

message 37: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments *more hugs*

message 38: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments *glomp*

message 39: by Shayla (new)

xD Ya'll crack me up.

message 40: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments Yeah, I quit my day job for this... :"D

message 41: by Shayla (new)

I think she might be kidding, Lauren.

message 42: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments My dad says that all the time after someone makes a bad joke. "Don't quit your day job."

message 43: by Shayla (new)

So it was a joke...right?

message 44: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments ^_^ Yeah, a joke. I don't have a day job, just school. Apparently the saying isn't as popular as I though it was.

message 45: by Maggie (last edited Dec 06, 2011 05:58PM) (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments I've got a big question for y'all. Now that I'm done NaNoWriMo, I've set to thinking that 50K isn't enough. Not for the story I'm planning. I don't have enough going on--not enough excitement! But how to get more and more without thinking of too many new ideas? How to get more and more without abandoning my other projects?

Then I set to thinking: what if I combined some? If any of you have glanced at my other big project, Firelyx, you've seen that it's about dragons, and a girl who literally falls into their world. Sort of like Helena does in Illusory Magic. That also got me thinking--could I combine the two? Could I incorporate both stories into one, with parallel storylines and alternating chapters? I've been stuck on what to do next with Firelyx and Kaya, and this may be the fix I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, however, I don't have enough conflict. I was thinking that they could both end up at the same place and start working together towards a common goal--but what goal? I have side-conflicts, but I need a superbig one, one that will encompass both stories. Any suggestions? It doesn't matter how generic, even if it's just something like "her best friend is dying" or something. I need just a spark, something to get my imagination fired off, and I thought this would be the place to go.

So, couldja help out a NaNoPal?

message 46: by Eve (new)

Eve (emusings) That sounds great! I agree with Laur, doing parts might be cool. You could start to combine key concepts within the stories until they meet and work towards the common goal. What are the main goals of Helena and Kaya? Do you think the two could be intertwined? Their worlds of course would have to mesh, but it would be interesting to see the two interacting. Maybe one has something the other one needs. Play with the idea of their coming together. Maybe they join forces through blackmail or necessity, or maybe the just take a liking to one another.
Hope this helps!
Keep writing and being brilliant,
Eve

message 47: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments Great ideas, guys! Yes, I had planned on paralleling the chapters, but doing it in parts could also work. Any ideas for a major conflict? I've already got a minor one--an arranged marriage for Helena. :D

message 48: by Eve (last edited Dec 07, 2011 01:34PM) (new)

Eve (emusings) I'd have to know more about the character's specifically...
Some general ideas could be:

Betrayal: What is your character’s greatest treasure? Someone your character trusts is going to sneak away with their pockets full of it.
This is only a minor conflict at face value. For it to become major, you have to raise the stakes, scope and intensity, thus the conflict as well.

•invent a character that is young and handsome and going after your protagonist's job.
this could be major, and maybe even happening between Helena and Kaya

For minor plot conflicts, there's a handy dandy plot helper that spits out conflicts of various proportions. If you're stuck you could play around with the examples from this site: http://futureisfiction.com/plotpoints...? You can write it and see how it goes, but know you can always throw that out if it doesn't turn out.

originals found by: deb gallardo & futureisfiction.com

message 49: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments It's so weird how close you've gotten, Lauren! I don't think she's going to run away, but her fiancée is pure evil, the one who oppressed elvenkind in the first place. :D

message 50: by Maggie (last edited Dec 10, 2011 04:26PM) (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 183 comments GAR LOVE IT

« previous 1