A Wrinkle in Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1) A Wrinkle in Time discussion

It was a dark and stormy night....

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin Anderson I found this book in my school library when I was in 6th grade. It was the most amazing book for a 12 year old. I’m so glad it’s still around AND it has sequels!

Being a "tween" I felt I was just starting to come alive (or awake) and it was a confusing and difficult time. I think this was why I could relate to the characters in this story. They were also seeking to overcome problems that are at times overwhelming, terrifying, and seemingly far beyond their capabilities. Their "magical" assistants offer encouragement and help them to use their resources to the utmost to accomplish a very worthwhile goal.
As I re-read the story, it dawns on me that the children's magical assistants are the embodiment of a great teacher that a child would cherish: helpful, encouraging, building the child up by letting the child grow through effort, mistakes, and finding their own way in the world, offering guidance but ultimately letting the child grow through lessons and experience. The challenges Meg and her family and friends overcome in many ways are symbolic of the challenges all children go through at those ages as they seek to find their way in the world. A truly great story has many possible interpretations, because life itself is complex and often confusing. I think Madelein L'Engle does a masterful job of looking at life through the eyes of a child. I’m looking forward to rereading this book as an adult. I can’t remember everything about book but I promise not to read ahead!

Valerie I read this first in 8th grade as an assigned book. It was the first time I ever picked up an assigned book and didn't put it down. I stayed up to 3am reading it and didn't notice the time pass. I reread the book in my late 20's and loved it just as much and did see the symbolism I didn't back then. I also bought the movie but I thought it lacked and didn't really get what I had pictured.

Joanne Moyer I first read this book as a child and have read it many times since - and I am far from being a child anymore :) No matter my age I still enjoy it every time -- It's actually part of a series, which I didn't realize until I was older --The Time Trilogy: A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door and A Swiftly Tilting Planet

Emmy For me, it was 5th grade, and our teacher decided to read to us. I thought it was kinda fun, but kinda dumb (since it got us out of classtime but I thought we were too old to be read to--this is back when I thought audiobooks were only for children). She had read a few books to us before, but they were just okay.

A Wrinkle in Time blew me away. It was SOOO good! My class was always considered "the bad class," but we were on our best behavior for those few weeks so we would be rewarded with more of the book. Each chapter left us begging for more. I'm going to have to reread it again...

Elia Just yesterday I had a boy and his dad come in to the library where I worked and ask for this book for school. When I showed it to him, the boy told me it looked boring. Then I told him a little bit about the book, and his whole demeanor changed (he especially liked the part about the huge disembodied brain) and he decided it "sounded really cool!" The best part was, his dad heard the whole thing and said he wanted to read it when the son was finished =D

Summer I really didn't like this book -- do you guys think that it's one of those that you enjoy more when you have that nostalgia from childhood attached to it? I didn't read it as a child and I really didn't like it much, even though I felt like I should.

Dhfan4life Yep, I read this one in seventh or eigth grade as well for a book report/presentation thing we had to do for English class. Fell in love with it then and a few others by the author as well. And have to say by far it was about one of the only sci-fi fantasy books I had ever read that I still cherish to this day. Any other sci-fi doesn't draw me like Ms. Engle's books.

J.M. Ney-Grimm My fourth grade teacher read A Wrinkle in Time aloud to my class, and I loved it. It was my first exposure to science fiction, and I suspect that nostalgia does indeed play a part in my continuing fondness for the book. That and the memory of the wonder it evoked in me. (Question: Is the wonder I feel during a re-read due to the story or due to my memory of wonder?) As an adult, I've read and enjoyed more of Ms. Engle's books, but none have produced quite the reverence I have for Wrinkle.

message 10: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I read it as an adult and I loved it.!

message 11: by Zoe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoe Brooks “You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.” Madeleine Engel is a quote that inspires me as a writer.

I too read and adored this book as a child, I found it in a charity shop last year and reread and it's as good as I remember.

message 12: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Love that quote. Thanks for sharing.

message 13: by Sara (last edited Jul 26, 2012 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara There is something wonderful about reading these children's novels. They often have a strong sense of good verses evil, and with a much more interesting plot line than the usual adult versions of murder mystery and romance. I find there are layers of meanings that the kids miss, too. Like the way the three ladies stand for good, but appear to be "witches." And viewing Earth through a crystal ball. How would we see the Earth if we could look at it through spiritual eyes, undaunted by the complexities of the age we live in?

Michele Brenton Sara wrote: "I read it as an adult and I loved it.!"

You and me both Sara. I also loved the film of the book. I'm looking forward to working my way through all the writings of this author as soon as I have the time.

Mackenzie I was in a gifted reading program from 2nd-6th grade, and our teacher decided to have us read this in 5th grade. At the time, I hated it. I still hate it. (Maybe I was too anxious to start our next book, The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper).
Should I pick it up again and try to re-read it? I remember it being quite interesting, but lacking a certain factor to toggle me to get into it (at the time).

message 16: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Mackenzie wrote: "I was in a gifted reading program from 2nd-6th grade, and our teacher decided to have us read this in 5th grade. At the time, I hated it. I still hate it. (Maybe I was too anxious to start our next..."

Sure. Try rereading it. You can always abandon. Everyone likes different things. I suspect that you may have not liked it when you were younger because it wasn't your choice. Gifted kids seem to have a stronger sense of being able to choose for themselves. It's a good thing. I'm sure that you will see new layers of meaning that weren't apparent when you were younger.