Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Aces Abroad (Wild Cards, #4)
This topic is about Aces Abroad
Book Issues > Covers mismatched

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andy | 136 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77...

Aces Abroad (Wild Cards, #4) by George R.R. Martin The small and medium size covers are like this, but the large one is... not. ;-)

The link to Amazon shows two different covers, but neither of them is the current gold one. MINE is the one with the giant spider, but I don't want to arbitrarily say that it must be right. What IS the correct process here?

The description also has some weird html formatting that should probably be removed?

If I knew the "approved" way to fix it, I could do it myself, so please don't just say "Fixed!" Show me how to fish. ;-)

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41687 comments Mod
Ok, cover first. Most likely a variant of this bug. Checked the edit log for that edition alone; it shows no image having been uploaded by a user. The large size cover is Amazon's current cover, so deleting the image is fairly safe (could always get it from Amazon if it just poofed). Otherwise I'd save a backup copy of the image before deleting.

(Oh, do you know that from the edit page clicking on the image link gets you to a page where you can see all three sizes of an image as we currently have them?)

For the description, I just switched it to the default (has more info anyway). Editing out any HTML that's not displaying properly works too.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Oh! And since the gold cover appears to not be attached to any other editions, I suggest making an alternate-cover edition for it.

Andy | 136 comments :-)

Actually, rivka, I DID know that! That's how I knew the covers were different. Since 1,2,3 and 5 seem to be using a more popular format than what I have, I hesitated to just change it. I don't remember if mine were the "original" covers or not. Two and Three don't even have the covers I do. I was going to eventually get my scanner hooked up and do some alternate cover editions.... someday.

But I'm a little confused. I saw that you fixed (or changed) the description, but the images still look the same. Is that a caching issue, or is it one of those, "The remaining changes are left as an exercise for the student?"

I can't help you with the gold cover, since the only images I've seen are the small ones on our site.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Andy wrote: "is it one of those, "The remaining changes are left as an exercise for the student?""

Yup. ;)

Andy wrote: "I can't help you with the gold cover, since the only images I've seen are the small ones on our site."

I would save the mid-size one (the largest we have) and use that when creating the alt-cover edition.

message 6: by Andy (last edited Nov 15, 2011 06:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 136 comments (sigh)
Wildcards Wiki: Aces Abroad

So which one should I use? 1st edition or 2nd?

I'm kinda leaning to the 1st, even though it's not the one I have. :-(

Andy | 136 comments I've been reading about alternate covers, but so far, it seems like we're talking about creating a brand new record from scratch. Is there a way to copy an existing record and just edit it to have a blank ISBN and the desired cover?

(yeah, I'm always looking for an easy way out.) :-|

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Andy wrote: "So which one should I use? 1st edition or 2nd?"

Is either the gold one? I didn't think so, but I have none of that series.

Andy wrote: "Is there a way to copy an existing record and just edit it to have a blank ISBN and the desired cover?"

No. The "add new edition" link on the editions page will pre-populate the author and title; for everything else I suggest copy-and-paste.

Andy | 136 comments For the original Aces Abroad, there are either the 1st edition, or the 2nd edition. I kinda feel that the earliest edition should be the "main" record, and the 2nd edition should be an alternative cover.

According to the wiki, the gold cover is Aces Abroad Science Fiction Book Club HC but I have no idea whether the ISBN is the same or not. I was going to make that another alternative cover.

I searched at worldcat, and LOC to see if they had a listing for it, but as far as I can tell, there aren't any covers there. No joy at Science Fiction Book Club, either. Is there someplace else I should look?

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Andy wrote: "For the original Aces Abroad, there are either the 1st edition, or the 2nd edition."

I disagree with this. Because of how our Amazon imports work, the cover should match the current Amazon listing most of the time (please note I am NOT suggesting that existing editions be edited to this, just recommending this be used when creating new alt-cover editions). Otherwise, odds are too high we'll end up with two editions with that cover.

As far as ISBN matching the right cover, I have no other sites to suggest.

message 11: by Andy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 136 comments rivka, thanks for you patience. Last question for the day, I promise.

If the image is a saved one, rather than one tied to an Amazon record, is it still liable to be replaced during an import?

I put in a request at the Wildcard Wiki to use their cover images. (that IS recommended... or possibly required, right?)

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Andy wrote: "If the image is a saved one, rather than one tied to an Amazon record, is it still liable to be replaced during an import?"

I think yes, but less so.

Cover images are generally considered to be fair game for review sites because of Fair Use.

message 13: by Andy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 136 comments In a case like this, do we thank Amazon and replace it with an uploaded cover? I don't know for sure if the customer image is correct, but I'm pretty sure that THIS one is wrong. :-(
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32...

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Seems reasonable.

message 15: by Andy (last edited Nov 23, 2011 04:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 136 comments rivka wrote in message 3, "Oh! And since the gold cover appears to not be attached to any other editions, I suggest making an alternate-cover edition for it."

I created my first Alternate Cover Edition sometime last week, but I really don't know anything about the book. From the Wild Cards Wiki, I found this image and the text, "Aces Abroad Science Fiction Book Club HC." Aren't book club editions usually hard cover? that would explain the HC in the comment, too. Other than that, I didn't know what else to include here. Can you think of anything else I should add? I think it would be easier when it's a book I actually own. :-s

Wouldn't it be more correct to add all the authors as contributors, instead of in the description?

I'm really confused now. First is the link to the original book, then my ACE.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

Somehow, the links to Amazon go to different places, and GR found what I'm guessing is the correct book. How the heck did that happen? :-(((
(and why aren't the last two links, links?) (sigh)

Here's hoping you have a great Thanksgiving!

message 16: by Andy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 136 comments Fixed #13. We already had the Amazon customer image on a different edition. I copied it, saved it and then uploaded it. It's no longer using the incorrect Amazon cover of "The Lurking Fear."

message 17: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (mcgraced) | 84 comments This image does not seem to got with this book...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24...

message 18: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Got it

message 19: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments The cover shown with http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/93... is the cover for the 1967 edition, not the 1981 edition. (Hint 1: Cover price in 1981 of 50c? No, for this book, it was 1.95. Hint 2: As of 1971, Fawcett was no longer coloring the D red.) Amazon has the wrong cover as well, and it has propagated.

I'm not positive, but I believe this is the correct cover: http://pictures.abebooks.com/PAULRYAN... It is posted by 2 different booksellers on Abe Books for this edition.

What should be done in this instance?
If we fix it, will Amazon overwrite the corrected image?

message 20: by vicki_girl (last edited Nov 28, 2011 06:52AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments In this case I would go ahead and replace it. The cover given is obviously wrong, for the reasons you cite. I have found other 1981 printings for sale with the same cover art (example here).

However, I have saved a copy of the current image just in case it is needed later.

ETA: Once a cover image is uploaded by a librarian, it is usually okay. However, that doesn't stop someone from coming along later and deleting it, reverting it back to the current Amazon listing. I would save a copy of the 1981 image just in case. :)

message 21: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments vicki_girl wrote: "In this case I would go ahead and replace it. The cover given is obviously wrong, for the reasons you cite. I have found other 1981 printings for sale with the same cover art (example here).

How..."

Done. As you suggested, I did save a copy of the 1981 image just in case.