Science Fiction Book Club discussion

MIND CREATES WORLDS!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Umbrasaitė (HanWuTi) | 2 comments Hey guys.

I'm a big fan of A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin and I'm wondering if you good fellas could recommend any Sci-Fi or Epic Fantasy novels that are rich in detail with people having their own culture, ideas, religions and basically anything creative. With hundreds of characters that aren't just good and evil. Also with good action.

I've heard of Dune but never read it. Do you recommend it for an ASoIC fan? Also, that same thing for The Saga of Seven Suns series by Kevin Anderson. Are those two goods and any more great series'?

message 2: by Gage (new)

Gage (gmarchini) The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, the first one is slightly youthful, but the rest get more adult. This series is very in depth, Paolini introduces many different cultures, in fact he provides all of the races with unique outlooks on religion, people say its a LOTR copy cat, but the only things that are similar are the elves and the dwarves but nothing of the story.

Another would be Terry Goodkind's The Sword of Truth Series, if the 12 or so 600-990 page novels is not rich enough in detail, then i don't know what is! Though I admit I have barely begun the series, I have only read the first 3, but so far so good!

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Hi. I think the The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever are a really fantastic example of complex world building. Lots of different cultures with their own histories and quite in-depth discussion of those histories, plenty of action, and a fantastic, complex anti-hero.

message 4: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Umbrasaitė (HanWuTi) | 2 comments Thank you very much. I will look into them.

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnawinter) | 6 comments I've read all the Song of Ice and Fire series so far and agree with Rebecca about both Thomas Covenant series. I would also recommend Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series.