Struggling Writers discussion

What You Wish For: A Book for Darfur
This topic is about What You Wish For
*Archives * > Contest for aspiring writers: win a manuscript critique from a literary agent or renowned author

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Wish Foundation (bookwish) | 8 comments Are you an aspiring writer? Would you like to win a manuscript critique from a literary agent or renowned author? Enter Book Wish Foundation's essay contest at bookwish.org/contest. Manuscript critiques are being offered as prizes by three literary agents and three authors involved in our new young adult book, What You Wish For: A Book for Darfur:

Laura Langlie, literary agent for Meg Cabot

Nancy Gallt, literary agent for Jeanne DuPrau

Brenda Bowen, literary agent and editor of Karen Hesse's Newbery Medal winner Out of the Dust

Ann M. Martin, winner of the Newbery Honor for A Corner of the Universe

Francisco X. Stork, winner of the Amelia Elizabeth Walden Award for The Last Summer Of The Death Warriors

Cynthia Voigt, winner of the Newbery Medal for Dicey's Song and the Newbery Honor for A Solitary Blue

Visit bookwish.org/contest for full details about the essay contest. Essays are due Feb. 1, 2012. If you win, you will have six months to submit your manuscript, so it's okay if you don't have one ready for review right now. This is a rare opportunity to get feedback from some of the biggest names in young adult and middle grade literature.

Good luck to all entrants!

Book Wish Foundation

Book Wish Foundation (bookwish) | 8 comments Laurwhisker (Flame) wrote: "This looks so awesome! Except I've never really written an essay before, since I'm homeschooled and all."

No problem. In fact, perfect. If you're going to write your first essay, you might as well have a chance to win something by doing it. If you scroll down to the "About Darfur" section at bookwish.org/contest, you'll see some tips to help you.

Book Wish Foundation (bookwish) | 8 comments Jessica wrote: "This sounds like a great contest. Hopefully our members will like it and participate! (:"

Thanks, Jessica! It's a pretty unusual opportunity. The literary agents and authors are doing this because they support our cause.

If any members have questions, they should feel free to ask here or via bookwish.org/contact.

Book Wish Foundation (bookwish) | 8 comments Ton!onT wrote: "I definitely will :)"

Great! Good luck!

Book Wish Foundation (bookwish) | 8 comments Reminder: The deadline for entering this contest is a few days away, Feb. 1. Good luck!

message 6: by Rishika (new)

Rishika | 233 comments I am In for this contest, please tell me what to write?

message 7: by Book Wish Foundation (last edited Jan 28, 2012 09:00PM) (new) - added it

Book Wish Foundation (bookwish) | 8 comments Rishika wrote: "I am In for this contest, please tell me what to write?"

Instructions for entering the contest are at http://bookwish.org/contest

message 8: by Rishika (new)

Rishika | 233 comments Ok i will write about the step sister by cynthia voigt. When will the contest begin?

Book Wish Foundation (bookwish) | 8 comments Rishika wrote: "Ok i will write about the step sister by cynthia voigt. When will the contest begin?"

Essays are due February 1, just a few days from now. The six winners will be announced around March 1.

message 10: by Rishika (new)

Rishika | 233 comments it is ok if i submit it later by mid feb?

Book Wish Foundation (bookwish) | 8 comments Rishika wrote: "it is ok if i submit it later by mid feb?"

The deadline is strict. If you want to enter, you must submit no later than Feb. 1.

message 12: by Dr. George H. (new)

Dr. George H. Elder (georgeelder) | 3 comments 500 words about Darfuri refugees in eastern Chad? Good cause, but the subject needs and deserves far more than 500 words. Hell, they give us more words for our postings here.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Dr. George H. wrote: "500 words about Darfuri refugees in eastern Chad? Good cause, but the subject needs and deserves far more than 500 words. Hell, they give us more words for our postings here."

I think this has expired, it's great pity it was only for YA authors though.