A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

other lomg series?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (ben21) Besides wheel of time and sword of truth, do any of you know of any long series?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Sookie Stackhouse series but that isn't fantasy.
The Hannah Swensen series starting with Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder.

message 3: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Well there's The Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher.

message 4: by TaraG (new)

TaraG (tegriffic) | 1 comments The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) by Terry Pratchett - I believe there are 19 or so books in Discworld

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #1-3) by Stephen R. Donaldson - there are 6 total. I haven't read them in years and remember them as being good but depressing. I liked his space opera trilogy better The Gap into Conflict The Real Story (Gap, #1) by Stephen R. Donaldson

message 5: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Or you could always reread ASIOAF,maybe use your newfound knowledge to pick up clues!

message 6: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Woolfie wrote: "Or you could always reread ASIOAF,maybe use your newfound knowledge to pick up clues!"

Hi, Woolfie-

I will be re-reading ASOIAF before starting A Dance With Dragons.

message 7: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) Woolfie wrote: "Or you could always reread ASIOAF,maybe use your newfound knowledge to pick up clues!"

I'm doing that now. It's proved to be driving me quite insane w/ speculation. lolllllllllllllll.

message 8: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Dustin, that's probably the best idea, seeing as there's so much detail which may or may not be relevant:p

Maggie, ah well that's the downside I'm afraid, you are more aware, but that awareness comes with an anxiety of inference:p

message 9: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Dustin, that's probably the best idea, seeing as there's so much detail which may or may not be relevant:p

Yeah, there is so many things the reader tends to forget over time...especially if it's been a few years since you've read them, which is true in my case.
I'm really looking forward to the re-read, actually!

message 10: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (ben21) Thanks. Bought book of fallen series.

*Mutters bout people talking about rereading books*

Shouldn't have to just to remember.

message 11: by Jax (new)

Jax (anti-cato) There are around 37ish books in the Discworld series! Sorry, had to point it out..only kinda obsessed!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Actually there are 39. The new one came out this month.

message 13: by Jax (new)

Jax (anti-cato) that's why I said 'ish'. also cuz I wasn't including the Trucker's series. or Strata. and others

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I am just going by what Goodreads has listed

message 15: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments @Benjamin; memory's overrated, plus you can't say it's not nice to revisit a book you like right?:)

message 16: by Jax (new)

Jax (anti-cato) oh heheh. I own all his books. he's my absolute favourite

message 17: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Benjamin wrote: "Thanks. Bought book of fallen series.

*Mutters bout people talking about rereading books*

Shouldn't have to just to remember."

I like to go back and re-read them.:)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I reread the first one.

message 19: by Dustin (new)

Dustin That's awesome, Jayme!

message 20: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel There is a long series or rather same world series with Robin hobb. She starts with farseer series. David Farland's the runelord series is I believe on its eighth book. If you want YA the redwall series is about 20 books.

message 21: by Tim (new)

Tim (timoerl) | 5 comments Raymond E. Feist has written a lot of series consisting of 3 or 4 books, that are all set in the same universe.

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 33 comments R.A. Salvatore Drizzt series is pretty long, which is well over 20 books, but each book is short compared to other epic fantasies.

Also there is Terry Brooks still writing his Shannara series.

message 23: by Weenie (new)

Weenie The late Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series is pretty long - sci-fi although some readers see the books (in particular the early ones) as fantasy.

message 24: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel If you would like a more medieval look at Arthur and Merlin. Look at Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles. Another long series is Michelle West's Sun Sword Series. [2 prequel books (Sacred Hunt) and another 3-4 book using one of the characters from the Sun Sword Series (House War)]

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Weenie wrote: "The late Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series is pretty long - sci-fi although some readers see the books (in particular the early ones) as fantasy."

I was so heartbroken to hear she died.

message 26: by Maria (new)

Maria I recommend all books by Tad Williams! Especially his Otherland series and the Osten Ard series.

message 27: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Weenie wrote: "The late Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series is pretty long - sci-fi although some readers see the books (in particular the early ones) as fantasy."

I was so heartbroken to..."

Me, too, Jayme...

message 28: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 5 comments Sword of Truth Series and the Wheel of Time series both long and ver very good!

message 29: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I'm not crazy about The Wheel of Time, but Terry Goodkind is a great writer, IMO..

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 33 comments Dustin wrote: "I'm not crazy about The Wheel of Time, but Terry Goodkind is a great writer, IMO.."

You are probably one of the small group of people that still like Goodkind.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I have Terry Gopodkind Books and I loved the tv series Legend of the Seeker. I was sooo disappointed when they cancelled it.

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 33 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I have Terry Gopodkind Books and I loved the tv series Legend of the Seeker. I was sooo disappointed when they cancelled it."

Many including me thought the series was terrible. I was happy to see the series, but when I saw the first two episodes, I felt they did it all wrong. They tried to sex the show up, and the guy playing Richard looked all wrong, too skinny to fit. He needed to build up his muscle mass in order to fit the role more.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments It is pretty much a given that they will sex up any tv series that comes from a book series. They want to attract viewership. I loved the actor for Zed though.

message 34: by Weenie (new)

Weenie Kevin wrote:"You are probably one of the small group of people that still like Goodkind."

Goodkind seems to attract a lot of criticism but each to their own. All my friends and family who have read his books have enjoyed them, though they didn't enjoy the tv series.

I haven't read the entire series and it's been a while so I'm going to have to start from the beginning again (like I did with WoT!)

message 35: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel I tried goodkind. I got through 2 books and a third and I stopped. It was so slow to me and the same old plot. I am probably a minority on his series.

message 36: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Kevin wrote: "Dustin wrote: "I'm not crazy about The Wheel of Time, but Terry Goodkind is a great writer, IMO.."

You are probably one of the small group of people that still like Goodkind."

Really, Kevin? Why do you say that?

message 37: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 33 comments Dustin wrote: "Kevin wrote: "Dustin wrote: "I'm not crazy about The Wheel of Time, but Terry Goodkind is a great writer, IMO.."

You are probably one of the small group of people that still like Goodkind."

Real..."

I know a lot of people who hates his books because a lot fo people hates it when one's personal beliefs are their books or when the main character does stupid things, then they can't stand the character anymore. I don't jugde authors by their beliefs or for a character's one or two mistake. I feel that is something small, I judge a person based on their overall action and personality.

message 38: by Dustin (new)

Dustin That's a good point, Kevin.

message 39: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 33 comments Dustin, a lot of people have the same judgement against Stephen R. Donaldosn with Thomas Convent because the character raped someone, and Orson Scott Card because a little over 20 years ago he came out again homosexuality.

message 40: by Randy (new)

Randy Mantiply | 27 comments OSC, regardless of his beliefs, put out one of the best sci-fi books ever (Ender's Game shows up on just every "best of" lists, and at times it's number one). It's a great book. As for the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, I just remember that it was a tedious read (maybe b/c I was too young at the time, but it seemed like there was an inordinate amount travel with little action in the series).

But in referring to somewhat controversial authors, Phillip Pullman is an outspoken atheist, but His Dark Materials (starting with the Golden Compass) is a truly wonderful fantasy series that I haven't seen in this thread. In additional to a fantastical world with cool daemons and scary concepts, the series has armored talking bears.

Armored. Talking. Bears.

message 41: by Maria (new)

Maria Oh yes, I just LOVED the His Dark Materials trilogy! I read it when I was still a child and reread it a few years ago as an adult. I highly recommend it!

message 42: by Weenie (new)

Weenie Maybe it's just me but to be honest, I'm more interested in what an author writes in their books than what their personal beliefs/hobbies/religion/sexual orientation, are.

When I joined GR, I started to follow the blogs of my favourite authors but I'm actually not interested in anything outside of their books and characters, I just want to know when their next book is out, or in the case of GRRM, the casting of characters in the HBO series!

message 43: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Maria wrote: "Oh yes, I just LOVED the His Dark Materials trilogy! I read it when I was still a child and reread it a few years ago as an adult. I highly recommend it!"

Thank you, Maria.

I've actually heard mixed reviews on Pullman's trilogy, so it's nice to hear something positive about it.

message 44: by Randy (new)

Randy Mantiply | 27 comments When it comes to YA fiction, I actually put His Dark Materials at the top, even above Harry Potter (deeper plot, more interesting concepts). Lots point to Eragon for YA fantasy, but I couldn't even get through the first book. Not fantasy, but the Hunger Games (which is being massively advertised right now) is really really good YA fiction.

message 45: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Well, a good YA long series Redwall Series by Brian Jacques

message 46: by Randy (new)

Randy Mantiply | 27 comments Haven't read him, but may he (and Anne McCaffrey) rest in peace.

message 47: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 33 comments Randy wrote: "Haven't read him, but may he (and Anne McCaffrey) rest in peace."

Thanks!

message 48: by Kevin (last edited Dec 20, 2011 06:15PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 33 comments Gabriel wrote: "Well, a good YA long series Redwall Series by Brian Jacques"

It is a good series, something on the light and fun side of fantasy, almost the exact opposite of what Song of Ice and Fire is.

message 49: by Madison (new)

Madison (madison2626) | 8 comments Codex Alera by Jim Butcher ;)

message 50: by Gianluca (new)

Gianluca (gianlucag) | 118 comments Among those I read, I would suggest The Black Company and The Dark Tower. I also have The Malazan Book of the Fallen and The Dresden Files on my To-read list, which are both really long series.
Codex Alera, also on my To-read list, and The Riyria Revelations, which I'm currently reading, are pretty long too, with six books each.

« previous 1