SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Sherrilyn Kenyon
This topic is about Sherrilyn Kenyon
Series and Authors We ❤ > Dark-Hunter & Were-Hunter / Sherrilyn Kenyon

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (last edited Jun 15, 2012 07:16AM) (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Dark-Hunter is Sherrilyn Kenyon's world of gods and hunters, with lots of romance and intrigues. There are spin-offs (Were-Hunters and Dream-Hunters)that closely relate to the main storyline as well.

The #1 New York Times bestselling series.

The Dark-Hunter Credo:

We are Darkness. We are Shadow.

We are the Rulers of the Night.

We, alone, stand between mankind and those who would see mankind destroyed. We are the Guardians.

The Soulless Keepers.

Our souls were cast out so that we would not forewarn the Daimons we pursue. By the time they see us coming, it’s too late.

The Daimons and Apollites know us. They fear us. We are death to all those who prey upon the humans.

Neither Human, nor Apollite, we exist beyond the realm of the Living, beyond the realm of the Dead.

We are the Dark-Hunters.

And we are eternal.

Yeah, yeah. Enough of the doom and gloom because, baby, that ain’t us. You want to know what a Dark-Hunter is? We are what the intro says. We’re Mad, Bad and Immortal. We’re ancient warriors with attitudes who fight rough, and play hard.

We are the scary things that go bump in the night. And we love every minute of it. So when you think you’re being watched. You just might be. The question is…is it something evil or is it one of us?

==========================================

In the world of the Dark-Hunters nothing is ever as it seems. Life and death both take on a whole new meaning as this immortal cadre of warriors fight to protect mankind from those creatures and demons who would prey on us. It’s dark. It’s deadly and it’s a whole lot of fun and laughter.

List of books in reading order:
Were-Hunter, Hellchasers, Dream-Hunters and Dark-Hunters are all part of the same
series and if you’re a stickler for reading in order, this is the correct order for all of the
books:

(This is taken from the printable reading list & includes novellas/short stories)...and there is more to come!
* Short Stories Marked with "❉" are available in Dark Bites (expected publication November 2012)

Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter, #0) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Dragonswan (Dark-Hunter, #0.2; Were-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Midnight Pleasures (Includes Dark-Hunter, #2.1; Wild Wulfs of London, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (A)✣ A Dark-Hunter Christmas (Dark-Hunter, #3.1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon ❉❀ Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter, #3) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Kiss of the Night (Dark-Hunter, #4) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Night Play (Dark-Hunter, #5; Were-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Seize the Night (Dark-Hunter, #6) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Sins of the Night (Dark-Hunter, #7) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Second Chances (Dark-Hunter, #7.1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon ❉❀ Unleash the Night (Dark-Hunter, #8; Were-Hunter, #3) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark Side of the Moon (Dark-Hunter, #9; Were-Hunter, #4) by Sherrilyn Kenyon ❀❂ My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding  by P.N. Elrod (B)❀ Love at First Bite (Includes Dark-Hunter, #9.2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (C)❀ The Dream-Hunter (Dark-Hunter, #10; Dream-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Fear the Darkness (Dark-Hunter, #11) by Sherrilyn Kenyon ❉❀ Devil May Cry (Dark-Hunter, #12) by Sherrilyn Kenyon The Dark-Hunter Companion (Includes Dark-Hunter, #7.1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Upon the Midnight Clear (Dark-Hunter, #13; Dream-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Dream Chaser (Dark-Hunter, #14; Dream-Hunter, #3) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Acheron (Dark-Hunter, #15) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Blood Lite (Includes Dark Hunter, Related books, #9; The Dresden Files, #10.1, Women of the Otherworld, #8.1) by Kevin J. Anderson (D)❤ Dead After Dark (Includes Dark-Hunter, #16.1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (E)❂ One Silent Night (Dark-Hunter, #16) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Dream Warrior (Dark-Hunter, #17; Dream-Hunter, #4) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Bad Moon Rising (Dark-Hunter, #18) (Were-Hunter, #5) by Sherrilyn Kenyon No Mercy (Dark-Hunter, #19; Were-Hunter, #6) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Retribution (Dark-Hunter, #20) by Sherrilyn Kenyon The Guardian (Dark-Hunter, #21; Dream-Hunter, #5) by Sherrilyn Kenyon ❀❂ Time Untime (Dark-Hunter, #22) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
(A. Phantom Lover❉)✣
(B. A Hard Day's Night Searcher❉)❀
(C. Until Death We Do Part❉)❀
(D. Where Angels Fear to Tread)❤
(E. Shadow of the Moon❉)❂

available in Dark Bites
Dark-Hunter
Were-Hunter
Dream-Hunter
Hellchaser

message 2: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments The Guardian (Dark-Hunter, #21; Dream-Hunter, #5) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

I was looking for the thread to post a link to a bonus scene to The Guardian, and couldn't find it! Eek! Opening thread, and will add some more details soon.

Regardless, I got a mail this morning leading to the scene from Heroes and Heartbreakers.

Heroes and Heartbreakers is proud to present this exclusive bonus scene, “Redemption” from New York Times bestselling author Sherrilyn Kenyon’s latest novel, The Guardian.

Enjoy!

message 3: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28263 comments This is a series I've been meaning to get back to you and haven't. Thanks for opening a thread for it, Sensei. :)

message 4: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments :D

Having a classroom flashback...now so used to "sensei" that I respond to that almost faster than my actual name (and "teacher" gets no response...huh...talking to me?!?) That cracked up some students today.

Annnyyyywayyy...this series has become rather mammoth, so it'll take a little time to get the details up. But...anyone have a favorite tale or character? The first, Fantasy Lover (which introduces the whole world, but is rather peripheral as it's not about a Dark-Hunter~and I have the cheesy cover one, LOL) remains a fave...love Grace!

message 5: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28263 comments LOL! Good to know. ;)

The first one was a hoot. I really enjoyed listening to it. I've heard it's different from the others in the series. I did notice there are several spinoffs or such: Dark Hunter, Were Hunter and Dream Hunter. Is her "Chronicles of Nick" part of it too, or is that off "The League" series?

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I started this series a few months ago and am working my way through. Reading Night Play (Dark-Hunter, #5; Were-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon now and really enjoying it.

message 7: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Nick's part of the the Dark-Hunter world. He is one of the characters we meet from the start. I have the first of that spin-off of his younger years, but haven't read it yet. (I have this weird aversion to reading YA, though I frequently end up liking~and sometimes liking a lot~the ones I read. It just takes forever for me to start them....)

Nick actually plays a rather large part in the later part of the series, and his "role" is still unfolding.

message 8: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Hope you keep enjoying it, Lauren!

message 9: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28263 comments I thought I'd remembered hearing young Nick was a character in one of her others, just couldn't remember which. Thanks, I've made a note to read the Dark-Hunter ones first. Although - do they have to be read in that order?

I can understand your YA uncertainties. I usually just go for it and find I enjoy most of them. Sometimes I have to space them out though, esp if they follow the same boy + girl + boy2 in school + powers theme.

message 10: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments LOL...that is so true (YA)

I don't think they have to be read in order, but it's better to read earlier ones first. Some of the characters that stick around evolve, and that can be confusing (mostly in the later books...). The series is basically PNR, though there is an overall story arch that has played a stronger role in later books.

Hmmm...I'll try and find some more on that later (order). If you go to Kenyon's website, there is an incredible character list...very useful when looking for names starting with certain letters for challenges!

message 11: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3552 comments I'm up to date thru #21 Retribution. Characters reappear on and off thru the series, so reading in order will probably help. The chunky #16Acheron story fills in many of the gaps & mystery and ties some of the history together. My favorites are the Kattalakis wolf shifter bros starting in Night Play (Dark-Hunter, #5; Were-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon , and the Peltier bear shifters. And Ash's sidekick Simi is a hoot trying to eat anyone that annoys her, with her hot sauce.

message 12: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28263 comments Kattalakis? What a name. :)

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Finished Night Play (Dark-Hunter, #5; Were-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon and really enjoyed it.
@Lis - I love Simi too. She is just the cutest.

@Steph - I guess it is supposed to be Greek?

message 14: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28263 comments Sounds Greek. :)

message 15: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Yep...this series is strongly connected with the Greek gods!

message 16: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28263 comments Cool, thanks :)

message 17: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Mammoth certainly applies!

I can't help with the Nick bit...I have it waiting for me, and I'm "supposed" to read it before the end of the year~but there are still so many I want to get to NOW.

message 18: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments I looked it up on Sherrilyn Kenyon's website. I couldn't find and "exact" reading order list for fitting this into the DH reading order, but this is her answer about how it fits in:

How is the Chronicles of Nick related to the Dark-Hunter books?

The CON is a prequel to the DH novels, and it chronicles the life of Nick who is still Kyrian's Squire in the first book of the DH series (he's 24 in that novel). CON is a young adult or tween series and is written for ages 10 and up. The DH books have much more adult content in them. I'd planned to write the CON from the very beginning, but it wasn't until I was far enough along in the DH series that I could start them. They were also written for the adult fans who begged for a version of the DH books that their children could read with them. And I'd promised my sons who are in elementary and middle school that I would write a series they could read and give them a hero they could relate to. I wanted to write books that both boys and girls would enjoy, and not have it geared more to one gender than the other. The books are packed with humor and are a coming of age story. Each volume chronicles roughly one year of Nick's life, except for Infinity and Invincible which take place back to back. There should be 14 books total in the series, with an additional book at the end to tell about (view spoiler)

**Don't read the spoiler until ...eek! Can't remember the book...but when it happens, you'll know. Then come back and read the 4-word spoiler!

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Jessica wrote: "Oh well ill read it later since its a prequel...lol

i have gotten upto that part, was a little shocked, he is my fav character :)"

hmmm...I haven't gotten there either. I wonder what happens to make him feel that the choice is necessary.

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Jessica wrote: "when you read it you will completely understand.. I dont want to spoil it for you"

Okie, dokie. Looking forward to making the discovery.

message 21: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 354 comments Judithe wrote: "Yep...this series is strongly connected with the Greek gods!"

I didn't know that. I've been wanting to read something with Greek mythology. I've been thinking of starting this series doing a book a month.

message 22: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments If you can, start with Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter, #0) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (other covers, too, but this is the one I have). It's a nice lead in to the DH world. Have fun reading!

message 23: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23497 comments LOL I read the green one :D

message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 87 comments This is a great series. I have read everything (except a few of the novella's and the Guardian. I'm waiting for Retribution to be released because it comes before Guardian.
I will say this yes you can read this series out of order but it is a very intertwined world that can get confusing if you don't know all the players. I've been reading this series for years and I still get confused with it. The best example is with Vane story something happened to Vane and his brother Fang, well that was very early in the series and S.K. finally wrote Fang's story and went back and rewrote something that happpened in the original. It doesn't take away from either book but at times it can be a bit confusing.

message 25: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (zombiecazz) | 108 comments One of my all time favourite series. I've read them all twice.
I adore Acheron and Zarek. and have a soft spot for Nick and Kyrian. There are so many fantastic characters though.

message 26: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Aren't there! Ms. Kenyon's web page is great for keeping the many characters straight, and helping you easily see where to find your faves!

message 27: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Updated first post with books in reading order...finally!

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I love this series too. I think it is important to read in order to keep track of all the different characters and events. There is also a readers companion, which I would be lost without. I keep having to go back and check (view spoiler)

message 29: by Arkrazormama (new)

Arkrazormama | 42 comments I just started this series.. Well I'm on book 8 I was looking on SK website to get the exact order and noticed something about the DH becoming a TV show. When googling I couldn't find a TV show just fan based cast and such . I noticed all that took place about 5 years ago so maybe I missed it also noticed a motion picture reference . did anything become of all that?

message 30: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23497 comments I don't remember seeing anything about it Suzanne, but I frequently miss tv or movie stuff, esp as I'm not in the States.

Anyone else know anything?

message 31: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 801 comments It's been in ore-production for ages. There basically is no news on it :(

message 32: by Arkrazormama (new)

Arkrazormama | 42 comments Thanks for the info.... That's a shame, it would be awesome to have a dark hunter T.V series...even if it just centered around Ash, Kyrian, Nick , Amanda and Tabby, oh and Sanctuary folks . I guess it would be hard to bring everyone ....to bad they haven't moved forward by now.