General > Group Reads

Comments Showing 1-50 of 297 (297 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 279 comments Mod
Does anyone have any idea of what book we should start with for the group read

message 2: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 820 comments Mod
I'm thinking a classic noir... something by Chandler or Hammett.

If most members have already read most of their titles, how about -

The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson

Shoot the Piano Player by David Goodis

A Rage in Harlem by Chester Himes

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim I'll be down for anything. KL has been the one who has suggested them all to me so far.

message 4: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

I'm still stuggling to find Shoot the Piano Player as an ebook. But I like all those choices

message 5: by David (new)

David (tasbooklover) | 9 comments I haven't read any of those titles mentioned. I'm up for it :)

message 6: by Franky (new)

Franky | 394 comments It sounds like most have read more noir than me, but the ones I thought about:

L.A. Confidential
Double Indemnity
The Lady in the Lake
The Big Sleep

message 7: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

Franky wrote: "It sounds like most have read more noir than me, but the ones I thought about:

L.A. Confidential
Double Indemnity
The Lady in the Lake
[book:The Big Sleep..."

you should get plenty of chances to read some more here :)

message 8: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

I'm thinking maybe something easy to obtain for the very first book; a classic.

The Big Sleep or The Postman Always Rings Twice

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim I'll vote for The Postman Always Rings Twice

message 10: by David (new)

David (tasbooklover) | 9 comments I'll put in a vote for The Postman Always Rings Twice - only because I've already read The Big Sleep - although either way I'm not really fussed :)

message 11: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

I've read both and they are great, I just wanted to start with a classic and hopefully easy to get your hands on since December isn't too far away.

message 12: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 820 comments Mod
The Postman Always Rings Twice is fine with me. I read it 28 years ago (longer than some of you have been alive, I bet!), so I'm probably due for a reread.

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim Melki wrote: "I read it 28 years ago (longer than some of you have been alive, I bet!)"

They had books that long ago? :P

message 14: by David (new)

David (tasbooklover) | 9 comments Melki wrote: "The Postman Always Rings Twice is fine with me. I read it 28 years ago (longer than some of you have been alive, I bet!), so I'm probably due for a reread."

Wow Melki, it must be a good book for you to remember it from 28 years ago. I have already forgotten some of the books I have read this year!

message 15: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 820 comments Mod
Well, young Kim, they were more like papyrus scrolls back then, but they were a big improvement over the cave paintings that I learned to read from.
Why, I remember comin' back from the mammoth hunts...
uphill both ways...zzzzzz

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim Melki wrote: "uphill both ways"

In 10 feet of snow I bet

message 17: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

I guess it's settled, The Postman Always Rings Twice will be the first book

message 18: by David (new)

David (tasbooklover) | 9 comments Sounds great - I found myself a copy at the local library this evening :)

message 19: by Franky (new)

Franky | 394 comments Nice, I just saw the film of this. I'll go pick up a copy of this book.

message 20: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V | 22 comments Thank you Melki for the invite. I know this is not the correct place...however...I havent read any of the suggested books so am ready for 'Postman' if I can get hold of it.Good to meet you all again.

message 21: by David (new)

David (tasbooklover) | 9 comments Hi Sonali and welcome :)

message 22: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 820 comments Mod
Glad you're here, Sonali. Don't want the dames to get too outnumbered.

message 23: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V | 22 comments Melki wrote: "Glad you're here, Sonali. Don't want the dames to get too outnumbered."

:-)love your humorous exchanges with everyone.

message 24: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

Ideas for January? Since December is a Noir novel, I'm thinking a Hard-Boiled novel

message 25: by Lawyer (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) Hmmm, "Red Harvest," Dashiel Hammett. "I, the Jury," Mickey Spillane. "The Moving Target," Ross MacDonald (First Lew Archer). "The Godwulf Manuscript," Robert Parker (First Spenser). "Neon Rain," James Lee Burke (First Dave Robicheaux). "Sins of the Fathers," Lawrence Block (First Matthew Scudder?). Really, guys--I'm fine with anything.

message 26: by Ed (new)

Ed [Redacted] (ed__) | 15 comments My vote is for Neon Rain or Sins of the Fathers

message 27: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

I've only read Red Harvest, so I'll be happy with any of those

message 28: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

Just out of curiosity, is there people interested in reading modernisations of the Hard-Boiled and Noir genres. Like Neo-noir and Sci-Fi noir? I know these genres are more common in the movie industry but there are still some great books that fit in these genres. I've got some examples here;

Neo-noir
The Devil All the Time
Mr. Peanut
Beat the Reaper

Sci-Fi Noir
The Automatic Detective
Leviathan Wakes
The City & The City

Fantasy Noir
Storm Front
Already Dead

message 29: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 820 comments Mod
As long as you don't make them into a second monthly group read - I'm having trouble keeping up with all my group reads as it is - I'll be happy to read any of them. Beat the Reaper, Mr. Peanut, Storm Front, and The City & The City have been on my list for a while now.

message 30: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

No, only one book a month but we can do a modernization every few months

message 31: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 820 comments Mod
Sounds like a plan.

message 32: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 820 comments Mod
Or a plot...

message 33: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

It's the perfect crime

message 34: by Lawyer (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) Consider me a co-conspirator. I'm in.

message 35: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 820 comments Mod
We've had several, or maybe only a couple - I don't know I'm pretty tired right now, for The Hunter, so I thought I'd mention here where it's official.

message 36: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 820 comments Mod
No Orchids for Miss Blandish sounds good, and it's only $.99 for US Kindle users right now.

message 37: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

I really need to read some James Hadley Chase

message 38: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) I have not read Rage in Harlem or any Himes book yet. Shamefully enough.

Maybe we could add all these books mentioned and vote for group reads. Maybe have Neo-Noir month, Pulp Noir month, SF-Noir etc

message 39: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

I was thinking of just combining Neo-Noir and SF Noir into one and just rotate from month to month between Hard-boiled and Noir and Neo-Noir/SF-Noir

message 40: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 24 comments Knowledge Lost wrote: "I was thinking of just combining Neo-Noir and SF Noir into one and just rotate from month to month between Hard-boiled and Noir and Neo-Noir/SF-Noir"

I reckon that sounds like an excellent idea.

message 41: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 820 comments Mod
The Pez has reckoned.

message 42: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) Knowledge Lost wrote: "I was thinking of just combining Neo-Noir and SF Noir into one and just rotate from month to month between Hard-boiled and Noir and Neo-Noir/SF-Noir"

That sounds wonderful. Good choice combining Neo-Noir and SF Noir because other than Takeshi Kovacs books by Morgan how many SF noir is there ?

message 43: by Philippa (new)

Philippa | 7 comments I can't really recommend anything at all. I've read next to nothing in this genre.

My votes in the poll here are based mainly on ease of purchase and length. Because I just can't squeeze in anything time consuming with all my other group reads. :(

Also I had a look at how much money I've spent on books this year the other day. It's scary considering I usually only get stuff when it's on offer and avoid buying new releases until the price drops.

message 44: by Mohammed (last edited Dec 14, 2011 03:58AM) (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) Philippa wrote: "I can't really recommend anything at all. I've read next to nothing in this genre.

My votes in the poll here are based mainly on ease of purchase and length. Because I just can't squeeze in any..."

Then you are luckier than us who has to re-read books. You will get going when you find your fav PI, noir authors.

I understand what you mean with ease of purchase. Some group reads in other groups i cant join in because i cant find the books sometimes second hand or in library.

Buying authors you havent read when they are noir legends is one thing. Trying new fantasy authors with new full prize books is another.

message 45: by Haaze (new)

Haaze Knowledge Lost wrote: "I was thinking of just combining Neo-Noir and SF Noir into one and just rotate from month to month between Hard-boiled and Noir and Neo-Noir/SF-Noir"

Sounds like an excellent blend!

message 46: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 24 comments Mohammed wrote: "That sounds wonderful. Good choice combining Neo-Noir and SF Noir because other than Takeshi Kovacs books by Morgan how many SF noir is there ?."

There are a few; Jon Courteney Grimwood has a penchant for the noir-ish in his Arabesk trilogy and also 9Tail Fox, and I'm sure I can come up with more if i jog my brain.

I have reckoned. ;D

message 47: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) Alberto wrote: "Also it seems there's a new genre they call Psycho Noir, which is noir with supernatural elements. I was aware of the term when I recently read The Bastard Hand, by Heath Lowrance and someone said ..."

Sounds like those Bizzaro books.

message 48: by Melki, Femme Fatale (last edited Jan 06, 2012 01:34AM) (new)

Melki | 820 comments Mod
For our March group read, I was thinking "Cult Favorites" -- Jim Thompson, Richard Stark, James Hadley Chase, and Mickey Spillane, but I wasn't sure which book best exemplifies each author.
Any suggestions?
And are there any other authors and titles you'd like me to add to the poll?

message 49: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 820 comments Mod
And also, anyone who hasn't voted yet - February's poll is up until the 20th.

message 50: by Lawyer (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) Quirky Noir classics set in the Great Depression

They Shoot Horses, Don't They?by Horace McCoy, published in 1935. Brief summary: It is the great depression. Robert Syverten is down and out in Hollywood. He wants to be a film director. It's not happening. He partners with Gloria Beatty to go for a $1,000.00 prize in a dance marathon. The book opens with Robert being sentenced for Gloria's murder. The chapters of the book cut between Robert's sentencing and chaotic action on the marathon dance floor. It's great. Also a film by Sidney Pollack in 1969, starring Michael Sarrazin and Jane Fonda. Read the book, then see the movie.

Fools' Paradeby Davis Grubb. Andrew McClaglen's film in 1971. Starring Jimmy Stewart, Strother Martin, George Kennedy, Ann Blythe, and others. Never released on video. The rights are tied up in the estate of Ann Blythe. But this is a great read.

"Davis Grubb’s 1969 novel Fools’ Parade and the subsequent movie tell the story of three released convicts trying to make a new start with $25,452.36 from prison savings, if they could only cash the check. There are a host of murderous bad guys lined up to prevent them from doing that, in a yarn where the lines between good and evil are crystal clear. What follows is a heroic tall-tale chase on rail, on river, and by car down Grubb’s native Ohio Valley, complete with multiple dynamite explosions."

From the West Virginia Encyclopedia, http://www.wvencyclopedia.org/article...

Grubb also wrote the classic The Night of The Hunter , also a great alternative.

Finally, Thieves Like Us by Edward Anderson , published in 1937.
"Bowie teams up with fellow thieves Chicamaw and T-Dub to rob a bank - he needs the money to hire a lawyer to prove he's innocent of murder. On the run, Bowie finds momentary peace when he elopes with a young woman. But Chicamaw and T-Dub want to reel him back in for one more job."
http://books.google.com/books/about/T...

Later, a film by Robert Altman (1974). This is a Bonnie and Clyde type caper in Oklahoma and Texas. Raymond Chandler said it was a lost great crime novel of the 1930s. Good enough for me. Read the book, then see the movie.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6