J.D. Robb discussion

Archives > Robb vs Roberts

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Doug (new)

Doug (dougsreading) | 5 comments Hi! So, like many of you I am a big Eve Dallas fan. I know that Nora Roberts and JD Robb are the same person, but the books are oh so different.

Has anyone else run into a constant stream of Nora recommendations because they have rated JD Robb high... This is not just here, but people of say "Oh you like JD Robb, you must love Nora Roberts"...

To which I reply ... Ummm No.

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12888 comments Mod
I think the writing is very different. It was after I'd completed this series that I decided to try books under Nora Roberts. I happen to like quite a few of her series but the writing style is markedly different. I don't automatically recommend Nora books to fans of the In Death series, nor do I have people making that recommendation to me. It's hard for me to imagine Eve Dallas fans making this assertion.

message 3: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca At least with the few Nora Roberts books I've sampled, I don't find the two styles at all similar.

message 4: by Sara ♥ (last edited Nov 15, 2011 10:11PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments I completely agree! They don't read the same AT ALL! I've only read Nora Roberts' Circle Trilogy (when I was in full-on vampire obsession). I really enjoyed the romances and the story, but the characters talk in the STRANGEST, most unnatural way (like their speech is all scripted), and the style of writing... short, choppy sentences and odd descriptions... It just didn't seem "real" enough for me to immerse myself in it, you know?

Whereas, I can TOTALLY picture myself hanging out with Mavis and programming food in an AutoChef, etc.! Even though they have different slang in the future, it seems real, and I "get" it.

message 5: by Diana (new)

Diana | 28 comments OK I agree with everyone with one exception. The Bride Quartet. The books are written by Nora Roberts but I would definitely recommend them to JD Robb fans. They're funny and light=hearted with some twists and turns that make you go HMMMMMM, then laugh.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Now that's the one series I didn't like.

message 7: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Hahaha... Love it! You just never know! Sounds like MY cup of tea though!

message 8: by Dee (last edited Nov 17, 2011 12:03AM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments Like most of you, I like pretty much all of the in death series but only some of the NR books. I wonder how she can completely change her writing style so drastically. When I read other authors that use psuedonyms for example Jane Ann Krentz/Jane Castle/Amanda Quick (they are one in the same) I see similar writing styles and often times similar topics.

With the exceptions of a few off hand comments like when Eve woke up Louise and Louise said "Go far far far away" (also seen in Chesapeake Blue-I love that series) I would not know it was the same author. I cannot imagine how she does it.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments Jonetta wrote: "I think the writing is very different. It was after I'd completed this series that I decided to try books under Nora Roberts. I happen to like quite a few of her series but the writing style is ma..."

yes and it's SO annoying! goodreads (and other people too) naturally assume i like romance novels now, and continuously try to recommend random Roberts novels with ladies on the front cover wearing huge frolicky gowns, or nothing but sheets wrapped around them, or something. And i look at them and i'm like "No no no no no!!"

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

These books are categorized as mystery so it doesn't make sense to equate them to the romance genre.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments exactly!!!

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1681 comments I would have to pick robb

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 20 comments Well I hate to be the odd man out...but I was a Nora Roberts fan FIRST. Her books are more tame I'd say where as JD Robb she writes more gritty. I think it all depends on your individual taste in books. I like the romance-happily-ever-after with a bit of a mystery thrown in there. The In Death series sometimes gets a bit too "real-life" for me in the killing, the language, the sensitive subject matter, etc... She's a GREAT writer--I like everything she's written. She's got great ideas for her books and I love the characters she comes up with. I have noticed reading a few of her previous books, where the character of Eve Dallas came from (see the Donovan series). I always look forward to every new book/series she has out regardless of what name she puts on the book. She's great. My favorite author next to Kathleen Woodiwiss.

message 14: by Jonetta (new)

Are you saying the Eve Dallas character came from the Donovan Legacy series?

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1681 comments I didn't know that

message 16: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments I don't think she means the actual character...

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1681 comments Oh ok and thanks for telling me

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments I think she means like, maybe, Dallas? Like the place? Idk it kinda sounds like she's talking about Eve coming from another series, so I see what you're saying but I don't think that's what she meant.

message 19: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Yeah, I dunno. I'll skype her and tell her to respond... haha!

message 20: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 20 comments I think the character of Mel Sutherland from the Donovan Legacy (Entranced) reminds me ALOT of the Eve Dallas character and wouldn't be surprised if Nora Roberts took this character and expanded it. That's just my take but yes, Mel is a tough (on the outside)private investigator and she ends up working with Sebastian Donovan --and now that I think of it-- actually he reminds me of Roarke--in this book he has psychic powers and works with the police to help find missing children. It's a great series about the Donovan's that all have some powers but I like this one the best. Check it out! Nora is an awesome writer. It's a touching book...missing baby, they work undercover as a couple to catch this ring of baby nappers!

message 21: by Jonetta (new)

I've read the first book in the series, Captivated, but haven't gotten to the rest yet. Thanks for the push.

message 22: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments I added it to my TBR.

message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1681 comments What does TBR mean?

message 24: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 20 comments books she plans to read

message 25: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments My To-Be-Read list.

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1681 comments Oh alright and thanks for telling me