Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Vacation and Getaway Destinations.

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark (slvrshmrk) | 19 comments My favorite getaway has got to by Lake Placid, NY. I go there with my family the weekend after Thanksgiving every year. It's one of the most beutiful town I've ever seen. If you're ever in the area I suggest taking a day to look around. Don't forget to check out the Olympic Center!

As for vacations, I'm going with Topsail Island, NC. Again, this is a family trip. We rent a huge house for a week and all stay there together. This place is nice because it's not as fast paced and crazy as a lot of summer destinations. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about having a good time but sometimes you need a week to relax without thousands of people buzzing around you.

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell My dad owns a house in Palm Springs. I go there every once in a while when it gets cold in San Diego (around 65 degrees.)

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I love the Badlands in South Dakota, but they're about twelve hours away so I only get there every few years. I'll probably go this spring. I'm tempted to go over Christmas depending on the weather, too, but the driving on 90 in the winter can be treacherous.

My best vacations are in my own house when my wife and kids are visiting her mom. I'm serious.

I also love getting down to Chicago, my hometown, every few months. I'm going in mid-November for a concert but I'm thinking of going Saturday as well because my family is busy and I'll have time. Tempting, I tell you, tempting.

Those extended family trips, if I'm hearing you right, Mark, wear me the fuck out. That's not a vacation to me!

Dave, you want to swing by Wisconsin about February, we'll talk about cold, sir...

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I don't have a regular vacationing spot. I tend to explore new places each time I vacation. I need to get a passport... stat. I'd like to start exploring other countries.

message 5: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Yes! I love exploring new places, even mundane ones, little out of the way towns...

RA, the Badlands are amazing, but I love the Black Hills even more. If I believed in something supernatural, I'd believe (like the Lakota) that it was centered in the Black Hills.

Servius  Heiner  | 40 comments I did a tour of the Rhien a year or two ago. It was pretty neat. A drinkers paradise actually. Float all day, stop at a pub for meals and drinks. It was pretty cool. See Germany from a lazy boat, stop off at the towns do your think,I think it was the best time I could ever have in Europe.

message 7: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments KD, that looks incredible!

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila That last picture, especially!

message 9: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) That last picture looks like it should have Yoda bashing R2D2 with his cane in it.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh. That was a totally nerdy comment, Dan. And I agree completely:)

message 11: by Sheila (last edited Oct 31, 2008 12:23PM) (new)

Sheila Funny coincidence. The movie was just on TV this weekend. I watched Princess Leia get knocked off her ... flying thingy.

Weird. Maybe that's why this enviroment looks so familiar to me.

Deja view. :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments

I like to go here, Hanauma Bay, on Oahu. I try to go every two or three years.

Speaking of Princess Leia, that is who I am dressed as, right this minute. The wig is giving me a headache.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'm currently here, under the Palace Theatre sign:

message 14: by Lori (last edited Oct 31, 2008 03:59PM) (new)

Lori Heh, the 2nd to last of KD's is Lake Quinalt Lodge. Damn, have to go back there.

Every summer we spend a week on Orcas Island in a cabin right on the beach. I do nothing but eat and read, and watch the boats and water.

For the past 5 years, every Christmas Richard and Jake go away, usually back east or somewhere to meet up with his family. THis year they are spending a week in NYC. Tempting, but not really. I've been counting the days before my time alone for a month now. I love it.

Sarah, I can't believe how sterilized and Disny Times Square has become. I kind of miss alittle of the seedy side.

Mark, Lake Placid is gorgeous.

message 15: by Mark (new)

Mark (slvrshmrk) | 19 comments Yes, it certainly is Lori. Where exactly is "back east"? Anywhere in NY?

message 16: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) I like KD's idea of a getaway. We like to go to a different National Park or Monument each summer. My favorite so far is Glacier National Park in Montana. It's absolutely breathtaking and so much less crowded than Sequoia NP. We haven't done Yellowstone yet, we're a bit worried about the summer crowds.

We didn't go anywhere this summer because of my daughter's wedding.

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori Mark, I'm from NYC - born and bred in Brooklyn, lived for years in Manhattan. So I've spent lots of time all over upstate NY, and I still think it's the most beautiful area. Wouldn't mind settling there one day again.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeah, I'm actually not much of a fan of Times Square. Too many tourists (we consider ourselves visitors, not tourists, because we've been here enough times to not act like idiots). I hate when the tourists stop in the MIDDLE of the busy sidewalk to gawk/look at a map/take pictures. I hate all the cheesy souvenir shops. I hate the jacked up prices of EVERYTHING in and near Times Square. But I love Broadway. We only stay here because it's central to all the theatres and we are seeing 8 shows. I prefer the West Side. We spent the day today on the upper West Side and it was so nice. If I won the lottery, that's where I'd move.

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori Sarah that's where I lived for a number of years. W 83 btwn CPW and Columbus. LOVE the UWS - so close to Central Park, and even better Riverside Park. When I started living there it still had the old character, especially Amsterdam Ave with lots of bodegas. I watched the gentrification climb up street by street. I moved to live with Richard in Soho before that. Soho was still very much the artists' quarters. Watched that get very gentrified too!

8 shows! Which ones?

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) A Tale of Two Cities, Mary Poppins, The 39 Steps, Road Show, Equus, Billy Elliott, Gypsy, and La Traviata.

message 21: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 5 comments My favourite holiday destination is a place called Gumbet in Turkey and it is beautiful - though it will probably end up like most places in Europe, tacky and touristy.

I used to love going to Cornwall which is in the South-West of England, I haven't been in years because it is now cheaper and quicker to fly to Turkey.

message 22: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Wait, it's cheaper to fly to another country than travel within your own? Why is that?

message 23: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I was wondering about that, too.

message 24: by Wren (new)

Wren Top 5 been too and would go back in a heartbeat(but I'm easy...I'll go anywhere once)
Negril, Jamaica (Best rum EVER)
Napa, California (Hello Pinot Noir)
Key West, Florida
New York City, New York
Chicago, Illinois

Wish List
Italy - ANYWHERE
Greece (Santorini in particular)
Ireland (Dream would be to rent a car and just dive around the entire island)
Tour London via one of the gastro-pub tours! Nothing like sleeping in your local pub!

message 25: by Mark (new)

Mark (slvrshmrk) | 19 comments Are you referring to Appleton Rum, Wren?

message 26: by Wren (new)

Wren Yes. Appelton is yummy (but I'll drink any kind of rum. I'm not a picky girl Mark)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.