Reader's Ink discussion

Housekeeping > Christmas Books

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments I thought I'd followed up on the Halloween post with a post asking about favorite Christmas books.

I enjoy classics like The Polar Express and A Christmas Carol, but I read one last year that surprised me at how much I enjoyed it: Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb. It's free of Mr. Lamb's normal penchant for angst - it's the exact sort of cheery, fun, and entertaining read I like this time of year.

That said, David Sedaris's Holidays on Ice is a pretty terrific combination of holiday cheer and black humor.

Anyone else have favorites?

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
Last year I read Dickens's A Christmas Carol, which I enjoyed. I've read a couple Anne Perry books, which are consistently crappy, so I'm taking a Perry hiatus for awhile.

I haven't read Holidays on Ice, but I LOVE Sedaris. Perhaps I'll see if the library has that one. :)

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments If nothing else, see if you can find the audio or video of Sedaris's Santaland Diaries. It's the story of Sedaris's time as an elf at Macy's. It's the funniest one of the book ... and while it's funny to read, his delivery puts it over the top.

You know, I discovered last year that Dickens has a whole collection of holiday-themed stories. The Pasadena Library has a collection dating from the 1960s of the majority of them. It's on my list ...

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie | 168 comments Santaland Diaries is amazing. I remember reading it on an airplane and laughing SO HARD. I definitely need to re-read it this Christmas season!

message 5: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Rivera | 145 comments I usually go for lighter romantic type reads...something about people falling in love over Christmas gets me. Maybe that's one of my all time favorite movies is Love Actually?!

Some of these sound good though, and I'll definitely be checking out Santaland Diaries this year!

message 6: by Carol (last edited Nov 18, 2011 11:09AM) (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
Last year I read "The Christmas Sweater" by Glenn Beck, then saw his live reading/performance at the theatre. I really enjoyed that. I'm more like Alisha and like calm peaceful reads during that time of year.

message 7: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Rivera | 145 comments For anyone who is interested- Santaland Diaries is very easy to find on YouTube, and
In my opinion completely worth it- although it almost made me late to work this morning- oops!

Reminds me of when my younger sister and I went to Santaland at Macy's in college and she got in trouble with the elf by asking incredulously, "there's more than one Santa?" fortunately no kids around to hear that- but the elf was a bit miffed!

message 8: by Diana S (last edited Dec 06, 2011 09:30PM) (new)

Diana S My all-time favorite Christmas Book is:
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I read it every year.

The last year I read 4 Christmas Books and some were really good.

The Christmas Basket by Debbie Macomber The Christmas Basket by Debbie Macomber
It was very funny! A kinda Romeo and Juliet story!

The Christmas List by Richard Paul Evans The Christmas List by Richard Paul Evans
A Tear-Jerker! The lead character reminded me of Scrooge!

'Tis The Season A novel by Lorna Landvik 'Tis The Season: A novel by Lorna Landvik
Written in epistolary-style (e-mails, letters, and a gossip column)

Christmas Letters (Blossom Street) by Debbie Macomber Christmas Letters by Debbie Macomber
A nice feel-good book! I liked that the lead character used her talents and wrote Christmas Letters for people to earned extra money.