The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > Mailed bookmark or coupon, which would you prefer?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 20 comments If you had a choice to receive a book mark in the mail or an email coupon for 50 cents toward the purchase of a particular book (one for which you tried and lost for a free copy), which would you rather have?

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) A bookmark because *gasp* I don't have any!

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 20 comments Go to any bookstore or library and you can find bookmarks from authors in almost any genre. Almost all publishers provide them for their authors these days. Mine are postcards and I sometimes mail event announcements on them, always leave some with bookstores that schedule me for an author event. Most bookstores will give you a bookmark for every book you buy from them. Amazon.com might want to think about that as a form of advertising, eh?

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) Not in my part of the world. I don't visit libraries here because I don't speak (or read, more accurately) the language.

And booksellers frown when I ask for a bag :-)

message 5: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 573 comments I collect bookmarks so I'm always eager for more.
I have received many as promos for books. If I feel a connection with the book the bookmark goes to my collection.
The rest I use for their actual purpose and they tend to have a short life getting lost or crumpled as I carry my books with me everywhere even so I have quite a pile of them.

message 6: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sherr-bear) I use a long ribbon as my bookmarker. I place one end at the back of the book and the other one to mark my place.

message 7: by Yuliya (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments Always fascinated by bookmarks and also wouldn't mind to collect them, but they way expensive! The fancy one in bookstores and souvenir stores.... I would like to get fancy bookmark… I have one from childhood – leather red and it was like 15-20 years in use until its cracked and broken and now has a rest in some box with memory items. I fantasized, that this bookmark reading with me and we share our knowledge, opinion and feeling about books that we “read together” I even took it with me when I immigrated to different country. Now I’m using whatever comes to my hand – clip, paper bookmarks from libraries. But I would like to find the other 15-20 years lasting bookmark friend.

message 8: by Ginny (new)

Ginny | 25 comments Yuliya wrote: "Always fascinated by bookmarks and also wouldn't mind to collect them, but they way expensive! The fancy one in bookstores and souvenir stores.... I would like to get fancy bookmark… I have one fro..."

Oh! I love the thought of the bookmark reading the book with you! Such a wonderful imagination! Now I wish I could send you a box of bookmarks from my little collection lol ! : ) Oh well.

message 9: by Janet (new)

Janet Newport (janetnewport) | 1 comments Send the coupon please.

A couple of years ago, I got so frustrated at not having enough "decent" bookmarks (post-it notes, scraps of wrapping paper, tissue, etc weren't cutting it for me)....I started making my own from leftover cardstock & scrapbook supplies. They cost next to nothing to make and act like they are supposed to (they don't fall out of the book unless the cat knocks it off the bedside table). I now have 100's of them and I like to make notes on the backside of them for the next time I'm at the library or bookstore.

message 10: by Yuliya (last edited Jul 15, 2012 03:30PM) (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments Thank you, Ginny, for consideration to share your collection! I would probably give this wish to my husband or friends then they ask me that I want for Christmas or birthday or I also like Janet idea of making it - so it will be assignment for my daughter! (by some reason I want to get it as surprise, but not making or buying by myself :) )

message 11: by Ginny (new)

Ginny | 25 comments No problem. I've had several bookmarks that I love but they have fallen apart or gotten lost, or my daughters have conveniently 'borrowed' them from me. The one I miss the most was a Christmas gift when I was 15. It was of a golden unicorn tied on top of a floral ribbon. I know it is somewhere around this house, but I'm not sure where it went. Maybe the unicorn didn't like the book we were reading... : )

message 12: by Yuliya (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments :)

message 13: by David (new)

David Santos (authordas) 50 cents off a twenty dollar book isn't much aha. I'll go with the bookmark, as readers we need those.