Teen and YA addiction discussion

Author Chat

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello, everyone! I was just wondering if there are any other authors on this group, and if not, if any of the group members had questions that they would like to ask an author.

I myself am an author. I've released two books so far, and I think I love writing more than just about anything. I also love chatting with readers.

Here are my books. Feel free to check them out if you'd like:

Clara Claus by Alexandra Lanc

The Foxfire Chronicles Shadows of Past Memories by Alexandra Lanc

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Alexandra wrote: "Hello, everyone! I was just wondering if there are any other authors on this group, and if not, if any of the group members had questions that they would like to ask an author.

I myself am an a..."

I love Christmas stuff! I may just have to check your books out : )

message 4: by Emilie (new)

Emilie | 417 comments Mod
Hey Sean and Alexandra. All of those books look really good! I've just added them :DDDD

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Emilie!

message 6: by Emilie (new)

You're welcome! Can I ask you what gave you the idea of the book? :DD

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 16, 2011 01:40AM) (new)

Sure... I was always fascinated by the ocean as a kid and spent way more time than I should have daydreaming about sea monsters and mermaids and all that stuff. And I guess I started wondering if anyone lived down there and what it would be like. And that went on for years and years until about a year ago when the story kinda just came to me, not fully formed, just the concept, and the rest of it fell into place when I started writing it. I honestly had no idea at all what was going to happen when I first started. So, basically, the book is just my fun interpretation of what goes on down there, and the result is Grim's Peak, which is a whole new world for you to explore.

message 8: by Emilie (new)

Now I wanna start it right away! I'm gonna wish for it :DDDD

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 16, 2011 02:01AM) (new)

If you have an e-reader or don't mind reading it on your computer then enter code CT37R at http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/... and you'll get a free copy.
And if you like it, maybe you can recommend it to your friends?

PS: Anyone else on this thread can do the same : ))

message 10: by Emilie (new)

Oh, thank you! I promise I'm gonna recommend it if I like it! :DDD

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

You're welcome. It's first professional review is here (follow link)http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_... if you're curious to see it.
Enjoy : ))

message 12: by Emilie (new)

I'll just go check it out. Thanks Sean! :DD

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome, Sean! That's a great way to start a book. I'll definitely read and review it for you. It sounds like a really good story. :) And I hope you get to read mine. Only the one is a Christmas novel...the other is the start of a science fiction/horror series.

@Emilie: Thanks for the add! I really hope you like the books.

Now for my story-starting story: My Christmas novel started just like yours did, Sean. I basically wondered what would happen if I put this crazy story together and if someone hated Christmas. I basically wrote it for fun, and I loved it so much that I wanted to share it with everyone else, so I published it. :D

The other has a different story. I got the idea from a dream I had, and started writing it when my life was kind of crazy. It was more of a coping mechanism because my brother had just been in an awful accident, but it grew into a story that I love as well.

Anyway, I hope you guys like the stories! If you'd like to take a look at my blog, I'm running a Giveaway for my Christmas novel: http://wordsoftheworlds.blogspot.com/...

message 14: by Emilie (new)

I always love to hear what made the authors write their novels so it's pretty interesting hearing about :DDD

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Emilie wrote: "I always love to hear what made the authors write their novels so it's pretty interesting hearing about :DDD"

Me, too! It's always interesting to me how others get ideas. They really come from everywhere. :D

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Alexandra wrote: "Emilie wrote: "I always love to hear what made the authors write their novels so it's pretty interesting hearing about :DDD"

Me, too! It's always interesting to me how others get ideas. They reall..."

Emilie, do you usually have the story planned out before you start or do you just let it happen? I usually try to plan but then it ends up totally different anyway.

message 17: by Emilie (new)

Alexandra, they truly do!

Uuuum, I'm not writing proffesionally or anything but it changes. Right now I'm writing a story where I got the idea from my grandma's childhood. And here the other day I was watching Pursuit of Happyness and they were on a train station and he looked so lost and miserable that I began to wonder what'll happen if he jumped in front of the train; how would it affect his son? His wife? The witnesses that just happened to be there?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

It's funny...you see one little thing and suddenly you've got a whole new story.

message 19: by Emilie (new)

Exactly. Lol, the stories can get so weird :p

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 16, 2011 12:56PM) (new)

That's true! My first book idea came about when I beached my car on a snow bank after driving 14 hours to Tahoe. I started watching the cars go by and began wondering where everyone was headed in the storm....

message 21: by Emilie (new)

See, that's sounds really interesting! :DD

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Observation really is the key...and overactive imagination. LOL

I think the best stories come from wondering about how someone else would react to a situation.

message 23: by Emilie (new)

Aaaaaand sugar! You get the weirdest ideas when you're on sugar :DDD

Yeah, that's probably right :D

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

lol sugar... ain't that the truth! Observation and an overactive imagination really are the main ingredients.

message 25: by Emilie (new)

Sugar equals hyper, hyper equals fantasy, fantasy equals a whole new idea :DDDD

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Emilie wrote: "Sugar equals hyper, hyper equals fantasy, fantasy equals a whole new idea :DDDD"

This is very true! I always have to make sure to have a bar of chocolate handy when I'm writing. :)

message 27: by Emilie (new)

I'm addicted to chocolate! It tastes soo good :DD

message 28: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Gerardo (carolinegerardo) | 1 comments M&M's the peanut ones becuase they don't get on the laptop keys.
I am releasing a YA book, it is based on some real events. The paperback is out next week but it's up on Amazon. Would love to hear the group's input. The Lucky Boy by Caroline Gerardo

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Caroline wrote: "M&M's the peanut ones becuase they don't get on the laptop keys.
I am releasing a YA book, it is based on some real events. The paperback is out next week but it's up on Amazon. Would love to hear..."

Looks interesting. But I have a question...on the summary, it says "rated R". Why didn't you make it an adult book, then?

message 30: by Emilie (new)

It looks interesting. I just added it :DD

message 31: by Bert (last edited Nov 26, 2011 11:54AM) (new)

Bert Murray | 1 comments Colin Preston Rocked and Rolled by Bert Murray
Colin Preston Rocked and Rolled

Hi everyone,

I'm Bert Murray and I'm the indie author of Colin Preston Rocked and Rolled. Colin Preston Rocked And Rolled is a coming of age teen story(for ages 18 and up)about first love, friendship and betrayal that takes place at Elerby University in upstate New York. Colin is nineteen years old and lives for the Beatles, John Lennon and classic rock. He falls in love with his dream girl, Jasmine, an attractive student from Laguna Beach, California. Jasmine is a vegetarian who likes yoga, meditation, liberal politics and Jim Morrison. My novel has 27 Five Star ratings on Goodreads so far! Right now my book is on sale on Amazon's kindle store for only 99 cents!

Here are some reviews of Colin Preston Rocked and Rolled by Goodreads members:

Author Lee Holz's 5 stars Goodreads review of Colin Preston Rocked And Rolled

Colin Preston Rocked and Rolled is Bert Murray’s impressive debut novel. Beautifully written, it is a coming of age story that should resonate with everyone who has been a college sophomore, dealt with college friendships and known the agony and ecstasy of first love. Murray captures the immaturity, impulsiveness and neediness of adolescents and balances them with portraits of intelligence, sensitivity and caring. The book is often funny, sometimes poignant and always entertaining, a great read!

Lee Holz, The Abomination Assignment: a Bowin novel

Angelic's 5 stars Goodreads review of Colin Preston Rocked And Rolled

I really loved this book. I rarely read books from a male point of view but this one was very amusing. Colin is a typical 19 year old college student and Jasmine is a free spirt. Colin falls in love with Jasmine but sadly she does not feel the same. Friendship, love, and partying makes a fun read. I love all the song references. All in all a great book and one i would love to read again...

Ina's 5 stars Goodreads review of Colin Preston Rocked And Rolled

I literally couldn't put this book down. It captured me from the first couple of pages and kept me interested till the end. While reading, I almost felt like I was in college again and experienced all those emotions that were once so important and volatile.

I loved references to the music and if you are Beatles fan you will LOVE this book!

Anyone who had a crush in college should definitely read this book and it will make you feel again and experience again those crazy irrational actions that you were willing to take just to be with that person.

This is defnitely one of my favorite books and I look forward to reading more Bert Murray's creations!

Naomi's 4 Stars Goodreads Review Of Colin Preston Rocked And Rolled

This book was sent to my Kindle from the author Bert Murray so that i could read & review it so i would like to say thank you for that:o)
I really enjoyed this story. It's about a college guy named Colin Preston & his trials & tribulations of his college love-life. I got so engrossed in the story line that i swear i could feel Colin's anger & frustration at the heartbreak Jasmine (the bitch) caused him. I would actually like to slap her myself lol. It kind of reminded me of a YA novel with swearing, drugs, sex & tons of alcohol.
There is lots of humour too so not a boring moment to be found.
I would certainly recommend this to anyone that likes realistic fiction & will be recommending it to my Goodreads friends.

Here are some blog reviews:

Stephanie at http://fivealarmbookreviews.com

bookshelves: fiction
Read from July 12 to 16, 2011

There are few books that are written with college age young adults in mind and even fewer who do it so well. Author, Bert Murray, delivers real insight in the life of Colin Preston, a nineteen-year old guy who experiences drinking, parties, and first love in his sophomore year at college.

Colin lives in the dorms where he falls in love with Jasmine, a newly arrived freshman. Colin loves Jasmine’s beauty and her free spirit. She does yoga, eats strictly vegan, and makes what seems like sincere proclamations for a better world, not to mention that she is extremely sexual. Only there is something not quite right about her and Colin finds himself constantly trying to hold on to a relationship that isn’t working.

Karl, Colin’s best buddy, doesn’t understand why anyone would want to waste their young life being tied to just one girl, after all, Karl wants nothing more from girls but casual hookups. As a matter of fact, Karl spends quite a bit of time needling Colin over Jasmine.

Then there are parties, the campus pub, Collin’s new friend Chester, the not so normal guy who hangs out in the dorm basement smoking too much pot, and Mrs. Vesquez, an eccentric professor who becomes a major player in Colin’s life.

Colin Preston Rocked and Rolled by Bert Murray has all the makings of a cult classic. It is set in the eighties, the references to great music and artists are made throughout the novel, and it is written with raw honesty and emotion. The life of Colin and his friends are exposed in such a way that the reader is able to relate to them personally. If you are not one of these characters, you know people like them.

I would recommend this book for mature teens through adult. Young adults will find this a good read for its coming of age story while older adults will laugh out loud at Colin’s attitude as they watch him go through things that they may remember themselves.

Rating - Five Stars

(WARNING: STRONG LANGUAGE AND CONTENT 18+)

"COLIN PRESTON ROCKED AND ROLLED" BY BERT MURRAY

Kitty Bullard / Great Minds Think Aloud Book Club
http://greatmindsthinkaloud.blogspot.com...

I had been trying to get a copy of this book since March and finally received one in early June. I can honestly say that it was well worth the wait! This book is a story of coming of age, learning your true self, and realizing that first loves don't always last. It's also a story about deception and betrayal and how selfish people can be, but it's also about realizing this is not the end of the world and you can move on and be alright.

Colin Preston is a young college Sophomore with his entire life ahead of him, when he meets the one girl, Jasmine, that he thinks could be the one he finds his life is no longer his own. He begins to cater to her whims and even puts up with a certain amount of abuse, physical, mental, and emotional. He soon realizes that friendships are not always what they seem, that even the most trusted people can let you down and life is definitely what you make of it and you should never let anyone else live it for you.

I advise you to go on this journey with Colin Preston, pop in an old Beatles CD, sit back and relive those college years, or at least see them through the eyes of this young man! It's a story you won't soon forget.

Rating - Five Stars

message 32: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Dell (tjdell) | 5 comments I love being an author!

Saving Face
Smile for Me

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Great to see more authors here! What is everyone's favorite genre to write, and why?

Mine is a mixture of science fiction and light fantasy, because I just love science and aliens. :D

I also like horror, because you can be very creative with it (though I'm not the gory type; I like more old-fashioned, like Frankenstein).

message 34: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Dell (tjdell) | 5 comments I'm a romantic :-) I write across the spectrum but my favorites are YA teen romances. Smile for me (my latest ya) is doing very well on the charts. Smile for Me (A Young Adult Romance) by T.J. Dell

message 35: by Julie (new)

Julie Reece Congrats T.J. :)

I write YA only, either paranormal romance or urban fantasy (with romance) LOL

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Congrats, T.J.! I love romances, too, though I usually add the romance to whatever other genre I'm not doing, so it isn't just romance. Your cover is really cute. :D

Julie: those are both great genres as well! Nothing wrong with a little romance. :)

message 37: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Dell (tjdell) | 5 comments Thanks :-) julie and alexandra.

message 38: by Emilie (new)

Julie wrote: "Congrats T.J. :)

I write YA only, either paranormal romance or urban fantasy (with romance) LOL"

You write professionaly, Julie? :DD

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Mindy wrote: "Hey all, I write YA on the paranormal. I have self-published (nightmare) which is no pun to the title of my book, Wanted Nightmares: Battle for Love. I yanked it off the net, and decided to take a ..."

Good luck, Mindy!

message 40: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Kinrade (kimberlykinrade) | 1 comments Hey everyone. Thanks for inviting me to the group. I'm a YA paranormal/fantasy author. I also write for children and have a trilogy of full color illustrated lower grade chapter books coming out this month! I'm so excited.

Forbidden Mind (Forbidden, #1) by Kimberly Kinrade

In my Forbidden series, Sam, a girl who reads minds, is raised in a secret school where she and her other paranormal friends are rented out to the rich as spies. She thinks she'll be free when she turns 18, but when she links to a boy who controls minds and is being held prisoner, she finds out that her future doesn't include college and normal life. It's much worse. They have to work together to escape, then come up with a plan to save their friends!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Kimberly wrote: "Hey everyone. Thanks for inviting me to the group. I'm a YA paranormal/fantasy author. I also write for children and have a trilogy of full color illustrated lower grade chapter books coming out th..."

Welcome, Kimberly!

Sounds like a great book. I definitely love the cover! Where did you get the idea for it?

message 42: by Emmalee (new)

Emmalee Aple (EmmaleeAple) Hi! I just recently released my debut novel. Check it out!

Neophyte by Emmalee Aple

If your looking for a fresh new book, this is it.

No Vampires, werewolves or wizards.

Addisyn White thought she had her new life, her after life, all figured out. Granted death had not brought her to the pearly white gates, she hadn’t even left Earth. But death had its perks; she got to live forever with her best friend and her assigned Link of Angels, in a beautiful beach house. Even with the changes she was going through to turn her human body into an angelic one, everything seemed pretty easy. Until a gray winged angel comes into her life, then all the secrets and lies her Link had been keeping start crumbling away, exposing a whole new world of dangers she didn’t even know about.

Now Addisyn must fill in the blanks before things escalate too far. Will she save her Link? Or will she be buried in their secrets forever?