The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Doctor Who Movie In The Works

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Saw the article on io9 about this. Sounds like he's going to used a different actor from Smith or one of the previous doctors for the movie. Wonder how they are going to fit another regeneration into the lore cannon. That would make 12 I think. He's already supposed to be near his last regen.

message 2: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Danny Radcliffe. That's all I'm sayin'.

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments I hope its not so different from the TV show that Stormagedon can't make an appearance.

message 4: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Nick wrote: "Saw the article on io9 about this. Sounds like he's going to used a different actor from Smith or one of the previous doctors for the movie. Wonder how they are going to fit another regeneration ..."

When Hammer made their Doctor Who films in the '60s, they just reshot the best episode with Peter Cushing as the Doctor. They're considered a separate continuity and Cushing isn't one of the canonical regenerations. They might try something similar here, though if they do I hope they go for one of the original series episodes like Genesis of the Daleks, which would be bad-ass redone with good special effects.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (kovaelin) | 30 comments VWORP! VWORP!

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 489 comments I see nobody has mentioned 'that' Dr Who movie. In subsequent audio adventures Paul McGann has shown himself to be an excellent Doctor, but that film was bloody awful.

message 7: by David (new)

David Monroe (davidmonroe) | 19 comments I think it's just a really bad idea. Bad for the franchise and the fans.

message 8: by Nevan (new)

Nevan | 143 comments If any IP could simultaneously run independent tv and film incarnations, it's Doctor Who. I like the idea of Who reaching a bigger audience. And think of what they could do with a massive budget and a Neil Gaiman script . . .

message 9: by Remington (new)

Remington | 38 comments As someone who is not a Dr. Who fan I think that this could be promising. I've always thought that the basic premise behind the series was interesting but the execution of the tv series has turned me off every time I've given it a go. It would be interesting to see what would happen if they take the basic premise and expand upon it to be more appealing to a general audience. Of course, needless to say, this would piss off a lot of die hard Dr. Who fans.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 16, 2011 05:26PM) (new)

Remington wrote: "... It would be interesting to see what would happen if they take the basic premise and expand upon it to be more appealing to a general audience ..."

Probably look like this

message 11: by Curt (new)

Curt Eskridge | 90 comments Nick wrote: "Saw the article on io9 about this. Sounds like he's going to used a different actor from Smith or one of the previous doctors for the movie. Wonder how they are going to fit another regeneration ..."

The Regeneration number got changed to 507 when Smith made his appearance as the Doctor on the Sarah Jane Adventures. I think the fan consensus was that the 12 number was a limit imposed by Galifrey which doesn't exist anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9D-2H...

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 489 comments Curt wrote: "Nick wrote: "Saw the article on io9 about this. Sounds like he's going to used a different actor from Smith or one of the previous doctors for the movie. Wonder how they are going to fit another ..."

The regenerations have been mucked around with so much - The Master stealing his regenerations, the Doctor getting them back, being drained then revitalised by the tardis. I get the general impression nobody has any idea, and the Doctor is effectively immortal, barring occasional deliberate attempts.

message 13: by Chip-2mtl (new)

Chip-2mtl | 8 comments There's been a fair bit of angst in the hardcore Doctor Who fan community, which I suppose is understandable. It's been around as more or less a single story since 1963, internal continuity breakdowns aside. Another fear is that a movie would undermine the current TV production.

I'm still all for it, as I mentioned on my DW podcast. Doctor Who's a big enough concept, and has been around long enough, that I think multiple adaptations can exist just as, say, comic book characters have managed to maintain different storylines in different media.

message 14: by Kev (last edited Nov 20, 2011 06:34PM) (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 639 comments Chip-2mtl wrote: "as I mentioned on my DW podcast"

Hey Chip! I just recently started listening to 2MTL!

/threadhijack

I'm not sure how I feel about this big screen movie thing. As new-ish Whovian, I feel I should think it's a horrible idea. But Remington makes a good case earlier in this thread.

I like my on-going stories though - and I wouldn't want to see our current time-line (Doctors 9-11) stories be dismissed.

message 15: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments I'm all for it as long as it's done well. We fans of stuff can be a little too connected to continuity and miss the forest for the trees.