The Sword and Laser discussion

Podcasts > Late episode this week

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1145 comments Mod
Usually when you don't see an episode on Tuesday it means we're skipping that week, but not this week! We're actually sponsored in some rather weird indirect way by Neil Gaiman so we have to do an episode. That episode will be recorded on Thursday. And we'll officially kick off the poll winner then.

message 2: by Nick (last edited Nov 15, 2011 09:08AM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Hey the Sandman (Gaiman) can speed up or slow down time to suit himself. These arbitrary concepts of weeks mean nothing to him. Speaking of which, has the Sandman given you any indication of how the HBO deal on "American Gods" is going?

message 3: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Having no contact with him directly, means he hasn't told me anything. He did at reply me once on Twitter when I mentioned how much I liked the Doctor Who episode he wrote. But that doesn't answer your question, now does it?

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Figured as much. Never hurts to ask though.

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 828 comments Tom wrote: "Having no contact with him directly, means he hasn't told me anything. He did at reply me once on Twitter when I mentioned how much I liked the Doctor Who episode he wrote. But that doesn't answer your question, now does it?"

I'm pretty sure you just wanted to casually mentioned that Neil Gaiman replied to you on Twitter. I'm still working on that, so I'm in awe.

message 6: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

I was at reply dropping. I'm so ashamed.

message 7: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Yeah, well Jeri Ryan follows me on Google Plus. (view spoiler)

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) hob nobbers....;)

message 9: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Sally Struthers pinched my butt, once.

message 10: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6089 comments Sean wrote: "Yeah, well Jeri Ryan follows me on Google Plus. [spoilers removed]"

Now you're part of the Collective.

message 11: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

:)

Just kidding, of course. Gives me time to get more of a jump on the next book and also to grab 1Q84 from Audible...and play with my Kindle Fire tonight. :D

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Tom wrote: "Usually when you don't see an episode on Tuesday it means we're skipping that week, but not this week! We're actually sponsored in some rather weird indirect way by Neil Gaiman so we have to do an ..."

Would this have anything to do with his new label on audible.com?

message 13: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments terpkristin wrote: "UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

Quick, Tom, appease her by creating groups for 1Q84 and Elantris!

message 14: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Sean wrote: "terpkristin wrote: "UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

Quick, Tom, appease her by creating groups for 1Q84 and Elantris!"

:) As if I had that kind of influence....
Really, I just wanted to post from my Kindle Fire. Off to read Elantris. Oh and I grabbed 1Q84 from Audible. Will have to see about listening at 2x speed.

message 15: by Andrew (last edited Nov 16, 2011 02:48AM) (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments terpkristin wrote: "Really, I just wanted to post from my Kindle Fire."

Aww, showoff. I don't think poor Tom is due to get his till tomorrow (or is that now today?). You like?

Anyway cheers Tom, knew it was unlikely after your little exchange post twit, pre-gameon, though my real theory is that V just wanted more time to play Skyrim the slacker.

message 16: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Andrew wrote: "Aww, showoff. I don't think poor Tom is due to get his till tomorrow (or is that now today?). You like?"

I do like it, but you have to keep in mind what it is..and what it isn't. It isn't an iPad replacement or competitor. There is no way I could do real work on it. It's a media device. For me, it works well at that. I visited (and bookmarked) all the webpages I normally visit on a daily basis on my computer and they loaded both without issue and quickly over my wifi. I downloaded the Netflix app and streamed an episode of The League while lying in bed. I used my Amazon Prime account and streamed a show from there, too. I downloaded a few apps and they work well. And it works well for books. It might be a little sluggish compared to an iPad (I don't know, I don't have my iPad yet--that will come when I fill my current engineering book and go paperless in my design work), but compared to a Kindle, it's zippy, even on page transitions.

For me, it's just a toy. I think the only real complaints I have are:
1) Gmail and Reader load up the mobile versions of the sites, and there doesn't seem to be the Gmail or Reader app for it.
2)It's heavy. That's only an issue if I try to hold the "book" up, though, which I rarely do, so not a huge issue.

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments @terpkristin: Thanks. Saw you posted in the thread for the Fire to, so thought best to discuss there.

message 18: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

As if I had been granted the power to make groups. All power is hoarded in the hands of Belmont.

message 19: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1664 comments Mod
Tom wrote: "As if I had been granted the power to make groups. All power is hoarded in the hands of Belmont."

MUAHAHAHA!

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments poor Tom :)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2832 comments We recently found out that Kindle Fire and Nook Color don't work on our campus wireless network. Secret Apple conspiracy? Steve Jobs in the wires? Uhuh....

message 22: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Could be because of a proxy.

message 23: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments aww.. Tom had to go use logic.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2832 comments Something about enterprise... oh no my eyes are glazing over...

message 25: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 17, 2011 08:36PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6089 comments Hmm, doesn't make sense to me, unless they go out of their way to ban them. The ipad is annoying though. It doesn't release its ip address when it sleeps.

message 26: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Kindle Fire doesn't work with proxies because of the Silk Browser.

message 27: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6089 comments Can't you disable the silkiness?

message 28: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Yes, you can un-silk it, but I think it still lacks proxy support. Probably has to do with underlying silk support config. (I just made that up)

message 29: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Tom wrote: "Yes, you can un-silk it, but I think it still lacks proxy support. Probably has to do with underlying silk support config. (I just made that up)"

It's OK, it sounds smart. I've found that if you say something with confidence, people will believe you. :D

message 30: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 18, 2011 08:05AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6089 comments Jenny wrote: "We recently found out that Kindle Fire and Nook Color don't work on our campus wireless network. Secret Apple conspiracy? Steve Jobs in the wires? Uhuh...."

Sounds like some people have gotten it to work? Are you wpa2 enterprise or certificate based wifi?

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_e...

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2832 comments We are wpa2 enterprise, and the chart on the Kindle Fire website say that Enterprise/ADHOC/ peer-to-peer network is "not supported."

message 32: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

INteresting.

message 33: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6089 comments From that page:

Chris E. Pettus says:
For those that want to connect to an Enterprise WPA2 network on the Kindle Fire. This worked for me. At the initial welcome screen tap the skip configure button, I don't remember the exact text used on the button. At the main home screen tap the settings icon (the gear icon) then tap the "More..." button. Tap the "Wireless Network" group, you may need to scroll down if in landscape mode. Tap the "Add a Network" option and now when you tap on the drop down list for the "Security" options the WPA EAP and WPA2 EAP options are listed. I configured this for the WiFi network at my office and it works fine.