Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > Nominations for December (December 2011 Old School & Contemporary, both)

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 495 comments Post nominations for December:

Old-school: "Jane Eyre"
Contemporary: "Out of Africa"

Jane Eyre
Out of Africa

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) For (very) old-school I'd like to nominate The Canterbury Tales and for contemporary I'd like to nominate The Maltese Falcon.

message 3: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
For old school A Christmas Carol ]Charles Dickens.

For contemporary The Razor's Edge [author:W. Somerset Maugham|4176632.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma (sprouting) | 1 comments contemporary: To the Lighthouse (is that new enough?)
Old school: Walden, or Life in the Woods

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet (jangoodell) I would like any of these. I just hope it is one I can get locally. I live in a teeny tiny town with a teeny tiny library. Could not find October or November books except for the ones I had already read!

message 6: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 495 comments Oh no! Do they not do inter-library loans? If my library doesn't have a title, they can usually have it delivered from a different library.

message 7: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 495 comments Last chance for nominations! I will post the poll on black Friday :-)

message 8: by Mae (new)

Mae (melissa5626) | 53 comments Ok I'll nominate Breakfast of Champions again or The Sound and the Fury. With Sense and Sensibility as the older classic.

message 9: by Vigdis (new)

Vigdis I'll nominate 1984 for contemporary and The Three Musketeers for old-school, but I like the other suggestions too!

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) Vigdis, we just read The Three Musketeers in July/Aug as a group read so you may want to make another choice.

message 11: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 495 comments Thanks Jenny! For members who are newer, please take a look at our bookshelf to see what titles the group has already read. You are more than welcome to read past titles and post comments about them. It would be great to bring some fresh perspective to past discussions!

message 12: by Vigdis (new)

Vigdis Ops, sorry! How silly of me. I actually checked out those books last week. Do I have to come up with another book, or is it ok to nominate a contemporary only? I'll definitely read The Three Musketeers some time soon, though.

message 13: by Marcie (new)

Marcie Harkness | 28 comments I'd like to nominate The Thorn Birds contemporary
and The Brothers Karamazov old school.

message 14: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 495 comments Vigdis wrote: "Ops, sorry! How silly of me. I actually checked out those books last week. Do I have to come up with another book, or is it ok to nominate a contemporary only? I'll definitely read The Three Musket..."

1 nomination is perfectly fine :-)

message 15: by Janet (new)

Janet (jangoodell) Trisha wrote: "Oh no! Do they not do inter-library loans? If my library doesn't have a title, they can usually have it delivered from a different library."

We can get books from nearby libraries, but they don't always have the books either. I didn't get around to seeing about November's selections, however.

message 16: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
Janet there are a bunch of old classics you can read here on goodreads. Go to the explore tab, then go to e-books, most can be read on your computer screen, not ideal but it may help.

message 17: by Janet (new)

Janet (jangoodell) Yea, I don't have a lap-top or ipad so I have to sit in the chair at desk. I prefer a cozy bed or chair and blanket...but thanks for caring. I will find the next book if I start soon enough. Sure wish Goodreads still had the swap!

message 18: by Janet (new)

Janet (jangoodell) In fact, if I can't find it I will acturally break down and buy a copy. Sheesh, what a cheapskate!

message 19: by Mae (new)

Mae (melissa5626) | 53 comments I'm pretty cheap too about what I buy. I already have too many bookcases of books so I have to be desperate to buy one. I think classics are always cheaper though.

message 20: by Janet (last edited Nov 24, 2011 07:47PM) (new)

Janet (jangoodell) Just checked e-books on Explore tab. I could have down-loaded Northanger Abbey right on this site! I can read e-books on my MP3 (until I get an e-reader for Christmas ssshhh). I still prefer a paper book, however. Thanks, Bob

message 21: by Jediraven (new)

Jediraven | 12 comments Trisha wrote: "Post nominations for December:

Old-school: "Jane Eyre"
Contemporary: "Out of Africa"

Jane Eyre
Out of Africa"

Jane Eyre's good for old school. I dunno about The Canterbury tales, the Olde English makes it a very slow read.
The Lighthouse is AWESOME for contemporary.

message 22: by Mae (last edited Nov 26, 2011 03:56PM) (new)

Mae (melissa5626) | 53 comments Project Gutenberg is a good place to get books. Anything before 1923 you can get for free in the U.S. www.gutenberg.org I think this site sends you there sometimes. (ebooks)

message 23: by Janet (new)

Janet (jangoodell) Just plucked Northanger Abbey off there yesterday. Thank you.

message 24: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 495 comments Nominations are CLOSED and the new polls are up. Please take a moment to vote on your favories in both categories. There is NOT a lot of time to vote!! The polls will close on Dec. 1, so get your votes in today :-)

message 25: by Kat (new)

Kat (superkatness) | 163 comments It's great that "A Christmas Carol" made the list for December. It is a tradition in my family to take turns reading it out loud every Christmas Eve.

message 26: by Agnes (new)

Agnes (aggie01) | 1 comments Just started "A Christmas Carol" and it is so descriptive I think it should be read out loud. I hope it's chosen but if not I look forward to read the book that tops the poll.

message 27: by Janet (new)

Janet (jangoodell) Agnes wrote: "Just started "A Christmas Carol" and it is so descriptive I think it should be read out loud. I hope it's chosen but if not I look forward to read the book that tops the poll."

Perhaps I will read it to my son--14 but still likes to be read to on occassion (he is very auditory).

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.