Debate discussion

Theories > Evolutionism vs. Creationism

Comments Showing 1-50 of 918 (918 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

message 1: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments Do you believe in Evolution or INTELIGENT design?

message 2: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Evolution.

Yes, of course we came from "somewhere". But the world was not started by "two atoms smashing together". It's not that simple.

According to the theory, all matter used to be concentrated in one small mass, that gradually disintegrated and became an expanding gas. The gas condensed into galaxies and stars. Anti-gravity made the galaxies fly apart from each other ... and they're still flying apart today. The fact that they're all flying apart at the same rate means that they must have all been in the same place at one point. Thus, the big bang theory makes more sense to me.

Does that mean that I'm right and you're wrong? Not necessarily. Neither theory has been PROVEN yet. But for now, I'm leaning towards the big bang.

message 3: by Court (new)

Court I don't want them to prove the Big Bang. They made this machine-type-thing that could re-enact it, but the downside to it is that it could potentially DESTROY THE WORLD. And we can't prove God exists, that's why believing in him is called Faith..

message 4: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ ummm i highly doubt scientists would test the big bang theory if it would blow up the world.

faith isn't enough for me. evolution has been TESTED. and so far, it has withstood every test. so until it's DISPROVEN, if ever, i'm going to believe in it.

message 5: by Court (new)

Court They did try it. Something bokre or un-hooked in the machine so it didn't work. And yeah, I guess it was exaggerating a bit saying it would destroy the world, just that it potentially could,not that it would. And I know that the evolution theory makes more sense and has been tested, but the people who believe in God base it on faith.

message 6: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yeah, so that kinda makes it impossible to prove it or disprove it ... so nobody will ever agree. oh well.

message 7: by Court (new)

Court They had their own "Big Bangs"...

message 8: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments I believe in the big bang. It answers most questions, or at least more than the God Theroy.

message 9: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments *no offense intended whatsoever!!*

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I believe in evolution!

message 11: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) The big bang and evolution are two ENTIRELY different things.

The big bang says what you guys have said above. But it didn't create earth. Earth was created by planetismals crashing into each other while the sun formed out of a nebula.

Evolution, however, is the theroy that humans evolved from monkeys, which happened long after the creation of our planet.

message 12: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie I just have to say that I don't believe in macro-evolution, nor do I believe in the big bang theory. I'm a creationist through and through.

message 13: by Margaret (new)

Margaret I personally think that IF evolution was what happened (I don't find it all that important in any part of my life), we might have shared a common ancestor with monkeys, but I don't believe we evolved directly from them.

message 14: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments I don't know what I think. Or what I know, actually. I guess no one knows. *sigh*. Will we ever?

message 15: by Brent (last edited Oct 31, 2008 04:12PM) (new)

Brent (brentguy) | 69 comments I'm just putting this out there, not saying that I believe in it. As you all know, I like to remain neutral.

But what about Creatolutionism?!?!?

The theory that a being of some higher power created something that later evolved into what we are now?

Just something to push the discussion further. Good luck!

message 16: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments o.k. imagine a room.
it has a pc in it.
evolutionists say" it evolved from a calculator. "
creationists say" some one put it there. "
evolutionists ask, " what would cause you to believe that? "
creationist respond, " they left a note. "

which seems more logical?

message 17: by Rowan (new)

Rowan (rowanintheskywithdiamonds) | 108 comments But we know that calculators can't naturally evolve into computers!

The same can't be said about monkeys and humans, though.

message 18: by Eric▲ (last edited Nov 01, 2008 12:00PM) (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments ok, well if calculators can't become computers, then fish wont turn into birds....

P.S. didn't you realize any symbolizm?

message 19: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments HEY!
y isn't anyone here?
oh wait... it's saturday...

message 20: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments I don't think that was a very good way to prove a point. Just cuz some1 left a note saying they did it doesn't mean they did it.
And it's a bad comparison to evolution.
Ex. Whales, gorillas and cats. What do they have in common? Well, they both have three bones in their arms, fins, paws, that branch out into five smaller bones, thus showing they had to come from the same relative. And don't you religious peeps say that it's just a coincidence.

message 21: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ I agree w/Riley one million percent

message 22: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Thanks Brigid.

And I can see the comparison. But obviously something had to put the same relative on Earth. Some people say God, some say Big Bang, but I don't know and neither does anyone else. Neither have enough evidence to be anything more than a theory.
Whereas evolution has plenty of proof. Adaption has pretty much been proven, and evolution is basically a bigger version of adaption. If an animal adapted enough times it could become a whole new species.

message 23: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments Riley,
what do a calculator, a computer, and a typwriter hav in common? THEY ALL HAVE BUTTONS!
don't you see? it was a calculator, and then it turned into a typewriter, and then into a computer! it makes as much sense as a fish that grows legs, turns into a monkey[ or ape, or whatever:], and then into a human!
they are both just as logicl!

message 24: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments *sigh*

Yes, but the difference between technology and nature is pretty apparent. Does a calculator ever change? Grow? Eat? Sleep? Drink? No.
Look at an animal. A dog. If it eats human food it gets an upset stomach. A calculator won't get an upset stomach.

message 25: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Actually, it isn't logical.

See, those things, they aren't alive. A living thing is defined as something that:

Have an orderly structure (generally referring to cells and tissues)
produce offspring
grow and develop
adjust to changes in the environment

Computers/calculators/typewriters do not fulfill all of those things. Which means, they don't adjust to changes in the environment so OF COURSE somebody made them.

But monkeys and humans DO fulfill those catergories. They do adjust to change in the environment. The species CAN change. They CAN adapt. They CAN evolve.

message 26: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Thank you Roni. That was my point.

message 27: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments if a calculator drinks water it dies.
if a computer has temporay internet files of hrmful websites, it can crash.

IT IS A METAPHOR!!!!!!

gee i really thought that was obvious!

message 28: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Yes it is a metaphor. But we were just saying that it's not a good one. jk XD No hard feelings?

message 29: by Eric▲ (last edited Nov 02, 2008 07:20AM) (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments Have an orderly structure

all those tiny bit and pieces of circut board are orderly and work in many systems: Operating system, Memory system, ect

produce offspring

that's what the ipod nano is...
JK

grow and develop

upgrades; notice how computers are getting smaller, faster, and better? thats called development.

adjust to changes in the environment

notice how they ALERT us of changes in the environment?

in case you cant tell IT IS A METAPHOR!!!!!

oh and no hard feeling Riley, just feelings of sadness and dissapointment in myself.

message 30: by Rowan (new)

Rowan (rowanintheskywithdiamonds) | 108 comments But it's IS a really silly metaphor, really. That's not proving your point. At all...

message 31: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments lol Eric.

So, evolution vs. creationism.

message 32: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments well we share like 95% or our DNA w/ chipms so dat makes a little sense.

message 33: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Yes, it does make a lot of sense. Plus I looked at my Mom's old biology book at evolution, and comment #27 shows why I think it makes sense.

message 34: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yes eric we get that it's a metaphor. but it doesn't work; it's not a good comparison. no offense.

message 35: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments ok. fine.
well then why doesn't it still happen?

i mean, technology is still advancing...

message 36: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ it IS still happening. it's just happening so slowly that we don't see it. the changes happen one at a time, and they're only very small changes. it's not like one day a monkey gave birth to a human being. you see what i'm saying?

but it is visibly happening in some other species that evolve faster. for example, scientists have seen diseases evolve so that they're immune to vaccines. and bugs evolve so that they're immune to bug spray.

message 37: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments ah. so in like 50 zillion years, there won't be any animals. and because plants are alive, they won't exist either. OH NO WE ARE GONNA HAVE TO BE CANNIBALS!!!!!!!!!

message 38: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ what?

message 39: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments well, if apes keep evolving they will be gone, and all down the food chain as well.
because there isn't any food, the only thing left to eat is each other. i know it sounds terrible, but if evolution is true, that's what's gonna happen....

message 40: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments No, that's not right. See, the little adaptions we make branch off, and if it works better the species will survive. Maybe the other ones won't, but there's still the possibility.

And maybe one day we'll just be a superhuman species...that'd be a good plot for a book.

And scientists have shown that if we keep evolving, in the year 3000 we'll have 6 fingers!

message 41: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments wowzers!!! thats not really too far away...

message 42: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Yeah, only 92 years or so...or maybe it was longer than that...? hmmm...

message 43: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments IDK!!!

:P

message 44: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments WOW! an entirely pointles 6th finger!
i wonder why we would have one....

message 45: by Eric▲ (last edited Nov 03, 2008 03:41PM) (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments AHA!
no one can flip someone off if they don't have a middle finger!
that must be the purpose!

JK

YAY! GOD!!!!

message 46: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments *sigh*

I think that if there is a god that he gave us two fingers.

we got five cause of the birth dafects from Adam and Eves kids havin s** with their siblings.

message 47: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Wait wait, did god create dinosaurs and THEN make people?

message 48: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments no, he did give us two fingers, but he also gave us a thumb, a pinky, and a place to put rings.

message 49: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments and G od made them all in one week, humans last

message 50: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments haha about the finger thing.

but really were adam and eves grand kids all products of incest?

how could god make dinos and humans in one week?

humans werent there when dinosaurs where there.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19