Travel Literature Makes My Heart Beat Faster.. discussion

What Travel books are you buying for Christmas?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Dwyer (johndwyer) | 82 comments Just wondering what travel books do you have in your online basket at the moment? I've added the following on my Amazon basket and I'm looking for more suggestions.
The World: Travels 1950-2000
South from the Limpopo
Ghetto at the Center of the World: Chungking Mansions, Hong Kong
John

message 2: by John (new)

John LOL @ Chungking Mansions -- my travel companion and I went there after seeing the film "Chungking Express" -- he was horrified.

message 3: by John (new)

John Dwyer (johndwyer) | 82 comments Hey John! I stayed there twice myself during my travels. Like your friend, I was a bit shocked at first by the state of the place until I discovered the best chicken curry outside of India was available from a small hutch on the first floor! Since then, I look forward to staying in the warren-like guesthouses and queuing for the lifts.
John

message 4: by John (new)

John Dwyer (johndwyer) | 82 comments BTW, what was the film like?

message 5: by John (new)

John I don't recall the film specifically after all these years, except that it was interesting enough for us to look into the place when we visited the city - we had curry there as well - at a joint called "Halal Mess" fittingly!

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara John wrote: "Just wondering what travel books do you have in your online basket at the moment? I've added the following on my Amazon basket and I'm looking for more suggestions.
[book:The World: Travels 1950-2..."

OK, when I saw that there's a book about ChungKing Mansions, I immediately marked it to-read! I stayed there in 1984 on my way home from the Peace Corps, and it was quite an experience! Thanks for the pick!

message 7: by John (new)

John Dwyer (johndwyer) | 82 comments We should nearly create a "I survived Chungking Mansions" group at this stage :-)
Suggestion from another group - Into the Heart of Borneo - heard lots of good things about the author so I'll add this to my basket as well.
John

message 8: by Rdonn (new)

Rdonn | 17 comments Ii read several books on Borneo, this was just one, when I took a Christmas trip there, a fascinating trip. Like all the books, this was especially interesting.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) I got Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea in the Kindle Christmas sale - it's not exactly a travel book, but it's as close as anyone is likely to get for North Korea, at least at the moment...

message 10: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Rachel, I am definately reading Nothing to Envy this year. Have been meaning to get to it ever since it was released.