Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > December Challenge - Christmas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 69339 comments Mod
Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat
Please put a penny in the old man's hat
If you haven't got a penny, a ha'penny will do
If you haven't got a ha'penny, then God bless you!

Remember the Nursery Rhyme that would excite children of all ages? Well, let's see what sort of books relating to Christmas we can find for this month's challenge.

Photobucket

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/49...

Photobucket

http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/c...

Photobucket

(We can't have a Christmas challenge in Australia without a Christmas beetle!)

http://www.booktopia.com.au/search.ep...

http://www.readings.com.au/collection...

Photobucket

And we'll finish with two very special links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5IDWc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBhY89...

Photobucket

Have a wonderful Aussie Readers' Christmas with friends and family everyone, we'll see you back here in 2012

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Sweet :)

message 3: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3068 comments I'll probably read A Christmas Carol by Dickens :)

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I'm going to read Frost At Christmas and possibly The Christmas Train. The second one doesn't seem to be at my library, though I've reserved the first:)

message 5: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 894 comments I've chosen A Redbird Christmas since I'd like to try another book by Fannie Flagg.

message 6: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 I collect and stash Christmas themed books all year. Gloat over them and stroke them and hiss "My preciousssssss" over each one. I only read Christmas themed books in December. This challenge is right up my alley :)

I have 8 physical books waving at me and a similar amount on my kindle. Won't say how many but will be at least half of my stash.

message 7: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Sally906 wrote: "I collect and stash Christmas themed books all year. Gloat over them and stroke them and hiss "My preciousssssss" over each one. I only read Christmas themed books in December. This challenge is ri..."

Please Sally, put up the list of ones you have 'stashed' so we can get ideas! That's a great plan to collect them through the year.....

message 9: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments What a great list Sally. The mind boggles as to where you found this assortment.

message 10: by char (new)

char | 12 comments I'm going to read Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie. :)

message 11: by Cate (last edited Dec 02, 2011 10:47PM) (new)

Cate Forster | 2 comments I'll reread the childrens classic The Christmas-Tree Land by Mrs Molesworth.Another couple of family favourites will also get a run The Very Special Christmas and The Santa Claus Book

message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Sally906 wrote: "Ok - understand i will not read ALL of these but this is my christmas pile:
the non ebooks are:
A Christmas Blizzard by Garrison Keillor
[book:1225 Christmas Tree Lane|..."

Sally that is an amazing list! I can't believe there are that many;D

message 13: by char (new)

char | 12 comments Carmel wrote: "Hercule Poirot's Christmas :)"

Thank you Carmel :)
(i did the message on my iPhone and it wouldn't let me do the book link!) :)

message 14: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Trost (camerontrost) How about some Australian Christmas Horror!
http://auslit.net/2011/10/31/short-st...

message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Cameron wrote: "How about some Australian Christmas Horror!
http://auslit.net/2011/10/31/short-st..."

Thanks for that link Cameron...there's some great titles there!

message 16: by Kylie (last edited Dec 14, 2011 12:42PM) (new)

message 17: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Kylie wrote: "Christmas Book Read

1/12/2011
All I Want for Christmas is You By Lisa Mondello
Benny: A Tale of a Christmas Toy By K. C. Scott"

I can see you are a newbie Kylie...welcome! Lovely to have you with us, and joining in the challenges. Feel free to head on over to http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3... as I'm sure the other members would love to welcome you too!

message 18: by char (new)

char | 12 comments Carmel wrote: "Love Agatha Christie, what an amazing writer of her time!"

Yes, she was wan't she. :)

I read a lot of her work when I was a teenager and now thanks to inspiration from these challenges I am revisiting and reading what I didn't the first time round! :)

BTW I had always thought back then that she was a male using a female psuedonym. (I think it was a rumour back in the 1980's?) Dear me how rude, *she* is great!!.

message 19: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments I'll try to read A Christmas Beginning: A Novel before we go away - not long now.

Not your usual Christmas tale - this one's a mystery.

message 20: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Maggie wrote: "I'll try to read A Christmas Beginning: A Novel before we go away - not long now.

Not your usual Christmas tale - this one's a mystery."

Where are you going Maggie? Couldn't you take it with you?

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments I still need to come up with a book to read for it hmmmmmmm.

message 22: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited Dec 01, 2011 08:00PM) (new)

Michael, there are heeeaaaps of them around!!! The Christmas Train by David Baldacci should be right up your alley:D

I also enjoyed Skipping Christmas by John Grisham when I read it a few years ago.

The Christmas Shoes by Donna VanLiere also sounds good...I just added it to my TBR list:D

message 23: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Brenda wrote: "Where are you going Maggie? Couldn't you take it with you?"

I'm off to the Philippines for 10 days with my family and my brother's family (they are all staying much longer than me - I have to return for work). I'll be taking other books with me, thats for sure.

message 24: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Maggie wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Where are you going Maggie? Couldn't you take it with you?"

I'm off to the Philippines for 10 days with my family and my brother's family (they are all staying much longer than me ..."

Wow! Have a wonderful time Maggie! Relax and enjoy:)

message 25: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I'm going to add The Christmas Wedding to read, as I purchased it today!

message 26: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Carmel wrote: "Sounds lovely Brenda!"

message 27: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Have made a start on my Christmas reading - have The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gaarder. This is read as an 'advent' book - there are 24 chapters so people are reading one chapter a day, with the final chapter being read on Christmas eve. Not sure if this is what the author had in mind, but is how people seem to be doing it :)

I am also reading Agatha Raisin and the Busy Body by M.C. Beaton a unpleasant man who bans all things Christmas is murdered, and there is a whole village of suspects!

The last Christmas book I am reading right now is A Christmas Blizzard: A Novel by Garrison Keillor

Oh and I finished Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb yesterday.

message 28: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Looks fantastic Sally:D

message 29: by char (new)

char | 12 comments I have finished my Christmas book already lol, I couldn't put it down!
Hercule Poirot's Christmas A Holiday Mystery by Agatha Christie

message 30: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Well done Charmayne:)

message 31: by Maggie (last edited Dec 09, 2011 10:30AM) (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Maggie wrote: "I'll try to read A Christmas Beginning: A Novel before we go away - not long now.

Well, very disappointing, especially if you've read anything by Anne Perry before. 1 star only, review added. PS Had nothing to do with Christmas BTW despite the title of the book.

message 32: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Maggie wrote: "Maggie wrote: "I'll try to read A Christmas Beginning: A Novel before we go away - not long now.

Well, very disappointing,..."

That's bad luck Maggie! Disappointing when you're looking forward to a particular book!!

message 33: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Well, very disappointing,..."

That's bad luck Maggie! Disappointing when you're looking forward to a particular book!!

That's ok, I have so many others to read and enjoy.

message 34: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Maggie wrote: "Well, very disappointing,..."

That's ok, I have so many others to read and enjoy."

That's good:)

message 35: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I have finished my first book for this challenge Frost At Christmas. My review is here http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 36: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Finally settled on what book ill read for the challenge. The Christmas Wedding

message 37: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Michael wrote: "Finally settled on what book ill read for the challenge. The Christmas Wedding"

I'm going to read that one as well Michael:)

message 38: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Lol theres a suprise both of us reading the same book. :D

message 39: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Michael wrote: "Lol theres a suprise both of us reading the same book. :D"

Haha!! I'm reading Lady Killer at the moment;D

message 40: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Awesome ill be waiting to read your review. :)

message 41: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Michael wrote: "Awesome ill be waiting to read your review. :)"

Almost finished:)

message 42: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 894 comments I've finished A Redbird Christmas and perhaps it might be a little "too good to be true" type tale for those not ready to enter into the "Christmas spirit" but I loved the characters and the heartwarming story set the mood for me to enjoy the festive season. I gave it 4 stars.

message 43: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Just finished Christmas at Harrington'sMelody Carlson. Thanks to my darling daughter we accidentally bought this on the ipad. But I'm glad we did as I absolutely loved it and couldn't go to sleep till I knew how it ended.

message 44: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Kylie wrote: "Just finished Christmas at Harrington'sMelody Carlson. Thanks to my darling daughter we accidentally bought this on the ipad. But I'm glad we did as I absolutely loved ..."

It sounds good Kylie...might have to put my hands on a copy:)

message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Just finished my one entry The Christmas Wedding

review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 46: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3068 comments Far out, I'll be lucky to finsih American Gods this month. That thing is taking me forever!

message 47: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I have finished The Christmas Wedding in one sitting! My review is here http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

So two read for this challenge:)

message 48: by Maxine (new)

Maxine (caffeine_chapters) | 21 comments I've just finished listening to an audio version of A Christmas Carol in the car. What a truly classic story, the last chapter had me driving the car with tears rolling down my cheeks!

message 49: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Good on you Maxine, it's great isn't it:)

message 50: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 160 comments Just finished A Christmas Carol. Love classics.

« previous 1