Magic & Metal Book Club discussion

Monthly Book Choices

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Adams (amahel) | 37 comments Mod
Alrighty; We need to pick a book for January so we can make it in the Event calender. Ginny suggests Hard Magic; we'e previously discussedSoullessand World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. I'm also looking at Hounded and Dragon Prince. We'll figure out the other 6 mo. at our next meeting in December.
Oh--and we did talk about doing the meeting at either our or Christina's place next month. Ginny, what are your thoughts on this? It did occur to me that if someone wanted to come for the first time and we weren't there, we might have an upset customer--but do you guys think we could get away with it? :D It would be tons of fun.

message 2: by Tiffany (new)

No ideas, comments, concerns?

Hello, anyone there? *crickets*

:D

message 3: by Awkwardly (new)

Awkwardly Kristina (kristinad) | 23 comments Mod
I think it would be nice just for the Christmas month, but since you're the one that runs the group and works at the store it's up to you. If you're worried that people will come in and it will reflect poorly on you in any way we can scrap the idea. I wonder if it would be possible to note the change on the December Barnes and Noble event calendar and to stick a post-it on the Magic and Metal endcap where the book is located to notify people ahead of time.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. For some reason goodreads didn't send me a notification that the thread had been added to. I think I might have inadvertently messed with my notification settings.

message 4: by Tiffany (new)

Okay guys we got the go ahead to do the book club elsewhere! If you all don't mind I (we) will host for December. If we end up preferring it this way, we can rotate or whatever we choose to do for Jan/Feb too. It is too late to change it in the calendar, but I figure I will leave directions with BN and if someone does happen to stop in then they won't be in the dark. I will also update everyone on the email list when I send out the reminder email.
By the way, if we want to do potluck, we have a big chili recipe or Chris makes a wickedly awesome beef and barley stew that we could make...
What else were you guys thinking?

message 5: by Awkwardly (new)

This is going to be fun! I like the idea of a potluck. Any suggestions what people can bring? I could bring bread and cornbread - both would go well with chili and stew. I could bring refreshments as well.

I attempted a recipe for butterbeer with this in mind but I was pretty unhappy with it. It had a slight egg nog taste to it.

message 6: by Tiffany (new)

How is Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan for January??? Reply asap please guys!

message 7: by Awkwardly (new)

People seem to have a lot of good things to say about it on Goodreads reviews. I'm good with it. You might want to ask people on their facebook page. Goodreads hasn't been letting me know when there's an update to the threads even though my settings are correct. Could just be me though.

message 8: by Tiffany (new)

So what are you guys thinking as far as July goes? Should be more of a fantasy pick...

Dragon Prince would be a great summer read---or The Name of the Wind as we talked about. Also, Hounded is one I think we'd enjoy.

Any other ideas/suggestions? Please speak up if there is a suggestion that you DON'T want to read just as much as if there was one you DO want to read. That will help us things down. I updated our to-read/suggestions shelves, and I will be updating the suggestions thread shortly too.

message 9: by Awkwardly (last edited Jan 18, 2012 06:48PM) (new)

It's hard to tell from the synopsis. They both sound good. In reading the preview Hounded looks more like a fun/quick read, while The Name of the Wind has a more epic fantasy feel like that book we read about the Drenei. (I don't know how to spell Drenei)

BN.com lists The Name of the Wind as being close to 800 pages. I don't think that's accurate, but if it is I'd rather read something like that when I'm not on a deadline. Next time you're in the store could you look on shelf and see how many pages it is?

It does have an eye catching opening dialogue though:

"I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me."

Hope you're feeling better Tiffany :)

message 10: by Ginny (new)

Ginny Kass | 14 comments Mod
I vote for Hounded of those 3. BUT I really think we should consider this author. Catherynne M. Valente. Look at The Habitation of the Blessed or Deathless. Her writing may be a new writing style for us to look at. The Orphan's Tales:In the Night Garden would be a departure from our normal reading because it seems to be a compilation of tales like Arabian Nights. I haven't read any of her books but I will be because for some reason I seem drawn to them.

One critic said it took awhile to get her writing style & settle into enjoying the book.

message 11: by Ginny (new)

Sorry I forgot links but look up Catheynne M. Valente in Amazon.

message 12: by Tiffany (last edited Jan 19, 2012 01:50PM) (new)

Her JV book circumnavigated fairyland is a big seller right now---I've actually been thinking that an anthology would be fun for us, but because it would let us read a few different authors in one month. I'm not sure this would give us much to talk about.

If you read them, why don't you let us know how they are? If they're really good then maybe we could try them. The other reason I hesitate is that they aren't something we carry normally in the store. We could try it if we wanted to badly enough though.

And Kristina, NotW is a pretty thick book. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the length. Dragon Prince is almost 600. Just to keep it in perspective though, Alt Carb was about 550, and Dune was almost 900.

I just realized that we have never done an RPG. Dragons of Autumn Twilight: Chronicles, Volume One is a classic. Really good. Or Elminster: The Making of a Mage?

I also just realized Hounded is more of an urban pick, so I think we should do that one in August or September since Hard Magic is our May pick (trying to keep the rotation somewhat). As long as you guys don't feel it's too similar to Dresden...I'm pretty sure we're all going to love it, but I also know that we're trying to read things to expand on what we all personally read outside of the club. We need to all be intrigued by it though, or we'd never get through it right?

message 13: by Tiffany (new)

I also updated our shelves and our suggestions thread. Review and make comments when you guys have time please...

message 14: by Tiffany (new)

In my humble opinion, we should consider the following:
For an Role Playing novel, Elminster: The Making of a Mage or Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

For Steampunk, His Majesty's Dragon or Soulless. I'd lean towards Soulless, but I'm not sure Chris would appreciate it, plus I think most of us have read it previously.

For Paranorm, Dark Descendant, Dark Oracle, Trance, or Hounded like we've talked about, as long as nobody minds it being close to Dresden.

message 15: by Awkwardly (new)

I trust you and would go with either of your suggestions for the RPG. Chris sounded pretty anti-Soulless, so maybe that can be one of my free time guilty pleasures.

message 16: by Tiffany (new)

It would be well worth your time. I really love them!

message 17: by Tiffany (new)

What do you guys think, Ginny and Michel? I need to get the updated list to work

message 18: by Ginny (new)

I'm not sure about any of them. So I guess you get to pick them. I haven't read any of them except Soulless. So they would all be new reads. I think I'm getting burned out with Fantasy so I don't think I will be able to offer any decisive opinions here.

message 19: by Tiffany (new)

Should we switch in some more science fiction for you? We do have a few options now...

message 20: by Ginny (new)

I may be in the minority. So I think you should go ahead & pick what the majority is interested in.

message 21: by Awkwardly (new)

I accidentally bought the wrong "Hard Magic".

Glass half empty: I don't think I can get a refund on nook books with no excuse but my own stupidity

Glass half full: My doppelganger version of Hard Magic is well pretty well rated. I think I'll read it after the correct version.

message 22: by Ginny (new)

You have to buy the paper version of Hard Magic anyway. Hopefully B&N gets some in.

message 23: by Tiffany (new)

We just got them in today! (Wednesday)...so if you don't see them on the shelf ( I think they were scheduled for a promo) just ask somebody for them. We had one trade paperback for $15 and three or four mass markets for $8.

message 24: by Ginny (new)

Good. I'll be in tonight,Thursday,to pick up one. The one I had was donated.

message 25: by Tiffany (new)

Hey guys! I mentioned in our email that at our next meeting we'll pick more books...well, I got to thinking that it might be easier for us to just do that on here (I've been meaning to bring that up at a meeting). That way, we can actually look at the book (not rely on my faulty memory), have all our suggestions/google at our fingertips and everyone can do so at their leisure throughout the month. If we don't reach a consensus, we can do so at the meeting, but this way we're familiar with what we're considering reading. If we do decide, great! Is that okay?

For February, we'll be looking for a science fiction. I really think we should try another classic, like maybe Stranger in a Strange Land but I have to say that I think Consider Phlebas, A Fire Upon the Deep, and Hidden Empire would be conversation-provoking for us.

After that, I think we should try some new authors, considering this fall we'll be reading a bunch of authors we already know and love. We've talked about The Name of the Wind, Across the Face of the World, for fantasy (gotten lots of great reviews/awards), His Majesty's Dragon for something different than what we've been reading (alternative history); Ginny suggested Shadow Sight which looks like a mashup of some of our favorites...

What are you guys thinking?

message 26: by Tiffany (new)

Anybody want to weigh in??

message 27: by Awkwardly (new)

I'm about to read The Left Hand of Darkness and have A Deepness in the Sky on the backburner.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18...

We've been reading a lot of fun books recently but we haven't really had one that led to any deep discussion in the group for awhile. I like fun reads but I'm also looking for something that going to be thought provoking and with good character insights. I'm going to start Left Hand of Darkness and let you know what I think.

message 28: by Ginny (new)

I liked Libriomancer. Just finished it. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/libri...

Also Between The Devil & the Deep Blue Sea by J.J.Murray Couldn't find it at B&N but it may be there. Her eis the amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/Between-Devil-S...

I have quite a few I would suggest but unless you have an e-reader you can't get them.

message 29: by Awkwardly (new)

hey tiffany! Can you remind me what our future months book choices are? I want to look for used copies on amazon

message 30: by Awkwardly (new)

several months would be great

message 31: by Tiffany (new)

I just sent the email out. Sorry for the wait!

You can also check our bookself on the main page that will list all the books we have picked out, and the time we'll be reading them. Let me know if you can't find it

message 32: by Awkwardly (new)

I'm dumb! I see it now. Thanks Tiffany

message 33: by Tiffany (new)

Okay, we need to come to a consensus on the books for the rest of the year (well, maybe not that many). We've been starting to consider page count, too, so let's keep that in mind.

Am I correct that we chose Burn Zone by James Dekker for July?

Check the bookshelf under "recommended" for some of the books we've been mentioning. I've still got votes on Dragon Prince and/or His Majesty's Dragon, for some point. Chris suggests Jennifer Roberson's Sword-Dancer (which you can also get in an omnibus)

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments Mod
I also was interested in Stranger in a Strange Land, Fated, Amped, The Redemption of Athalus, Kings Property, dies the Fire, and Sunshine.

message 35: by Tiffany (new)

Ready Player One

For a sci-fi pick?? Although I pointed out that I think Ginny should be in charge of sci-fi picks, her choices we have all liked. :)

message 36: by Awkwardly (new)

That's the one that my friend that likes Sci-fi recommended recently. I wasn't sure if the club would like to do it as the being plugged in to a virtual world sounded similar to Neuromancer. I think that's where the similarities most likely end though.

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments Mod
I'd be happy with more along that line, but am okay with variety.

message 38: by Awkwardly (new)

I really hope we can do The Passage for book club! Its well written and suspenseful and sentimental at times. Every once in awhile I get a knot in my stomach like I did when I read The Road but I still can't put it down. I'm not getting anything productive done because of it though.
It's been labeled under Science Fiction>Dystopia, Fantasy, Paranormal, etc.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments Mod
Sounds good to me.

message 40: by Awkwardly (new)

This is the list of books that I've been compiling for our SciFi months in book club. I've talked with a lot of friends that read SciFi, I've looked at a lot of review sits as well as goodreads and think they would be solid choices for us to discuss:

1) Oryx and Crake I have had this on my bookshelf for years to read. It's rated 3.96 on goodreads and has won several awards. Its a dystopian society and on many book club lists. I think it's interesting that it also deals with genetic midification in the future. I had several friends who read SciFi look at my list and this was one they had just read a few weeks ago and had planned on suggesting to me.

2) Cat's Cradle Kurt Vonnegut is such a great author. Slaughterhouse Five is one of my favorite books. This book in particular is a cult classic and is rated at 4.18 on gooreads. It was also a Hugo nominee. His writing style in this book is described as "deadpan humor and bitter irony"

3) Never Let Me Go I like this as an option because it's a very subtly written SciFi book. I've seen the movie and although there's a lot of foreboding the science fiction aspect of it actually doesn't come out until the end. It's described as "Subtle reimagining of our world and time in a haunting story of friendship and love" It's won several awards and is rated 3.77 on goodreads. SciFi with heart!!

4) A Scanner Darkly I remember seeing this movie when I was younger and it was amazing! My friend who reads a lot of Sci told me that the book is even better. IT has a 4.03 Goodreads rating and has won LOADS of awards. It's a trippy detective cyberpunk book and it's only 219 pages as well which would be kind of nice during a busy month.

5) The Passage This is a huge book, but I read it in one week because I couldn't put it down. I read it with three friends and we had a little unofficial book club about it. My sister who hates fantasy and scifi also read it and loved it. We keep passing it around to people and it always goes over well. It has a 4.00 rating and has again won seceral awards. It's beautufully written, I Had knots in my stomach at points, it has heart, there's a subtle religious undercurrent to it that I think would make for interesting discussion. It's a Vampire/SciFi/Apocolypic book.

6) Ready Player One We've discussed reading this one before. It's Ernest Cline, it's won several awards and has a 4.29 on goodreads. It's a cyberpunk dystopia with a fun premise. I've heard from several people that it's a really enjoyable read.

7) Doomsday Book4.06 rating. Has won a hugo and loads of other awards. It's Fantasy/SciFi/time travel. It's quoted as being a "Storytelling triumph"

8) Idlewild 3.82 rating. " Idlewild fuses the fierce imagination of The Matrix with the chilling social vision of Minority Report, and introduces a singular new literary voice."

message 41: by Tiffany (last edited Nov 12, 2013 11:03PM) (new)

Okay just to condense a little here--

We want to read The Passage and discuss it, but since it's a bit of a doozy we'll all read at our own pace and discuss when we're all finished/as we go.

We did a whole year of books, but it's a flexible list that we can change as we like/go. Some books that were at the top of the recommend dicussion but didn't quite make it--
Dragon Prince
Assassin's Apprentice
Cat's Cradle
Oryx and Crake
Shadow Sight
Master of the Five Magics
God Save the Queen

I know I'm missing some but I just can't remember already now...

Also two more we've mentioned but never posted I just came across and remembered while trying to remember :)
Stormdancer
The Last Stormlord

message 42: by Awkwardly (new)

I was talking about Never Let Me Go with some friends that have read it and I'm worried now that it's not going to go over well with the book club. I recommended it because it's Science Fiction, but it's a very very subtle Science Fiction. (It's called relatable science fiction/subtle dystopia/Science fiction without the conventions of the genre) It's sad and lovely, but the Science Fiction is actually hidden from the reader until towards the end of the book (DON'T look it up if you don't want to ruin the ending)
If you guys are ok with a more subtle read we should stick with it, but if you think that's not the type of book for our book club we can switch it out for one of the other ones on the list.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments Mod
Kristina wrote: "I was talking about Never Let Me Go with some friends that have read it and I'm worried now that it's not going to go over well with the book club."

I'm okay with that.