Pick-a-Shelf discussion

ROAR - 2011 Challenge > 12 - December ROAR

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (last edited Nov 21, 2011 01:14PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8410 comments Mod
1. Mini SAT: 50 points when you have read off the following 12 shelves (with 5 books or less):

comic-books
comics
manga
mythology
history
feminism
collection
self-help
inspirational
military
love
romance

The rest of the challenge is a catch-up reading before the end of the year – to make room on our shelves for new books in the new year ;p

2. 25 points per book: Non-ROAR challenge books – Read up to 5 books for any of your other reading challenges.

3. & 4. 25 points per book: 2011 shelves – Read up to 10 books found on any of the shelves picked in 2011. And yes, you can claim the bonus points for reading off the shelf of the month

5. 25 points: **NEW** Books – Read up to 5 books that you bought or been given this year (2011). Note the past tense: no new purchases allowed! Only ones you’ve bought / been given between 1 January 2011 to 15 November 2011.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3393 comments Mod
@Kazza,

I'm assuming there won't be a mid-month challenge again this month, so it's ok to post questions already. If I'm wrong, tell me and I'll delete this so your mid-month place-holder can be message # 2.

Can you interpret how #2 should work for those of us who belong only to this group, and therefore don't have challenges from other groups? I do have 2 books left on my LOST list, and am thrilled for the excuse to read them. But what other books could qualify for this challenge?

Also, does the fact that you've posted these now mean we can earn points for any of them in November as well as in December? Or are they posted early only for planning purposes, and we should wait to read any of them until December?

message 3: by Tien (new)

Ah, Susan, you caught me again! Am being stereotypical in assuming that everyone will be like me (ie. challenge addict) and for that am profusely sorry! I am also amazed and flattered that we have been the only group to tempt you to join ;)

As to the conundrum of #2 - the Pick-a-book chain gang would work or if it's a bit slow for you (your comment noted however as my next book will be thick & small print, I don't think I'll be able to finish it any time soon) - you could add 3 more books to your LOST list.

You are right, there will be no mid-month challenge for December and you can start reading (& claiming points for) December challenges now. These are to make up for the holiday season as the challenge will conclude on 31 December. It's been a very very very big one and a very very very long one however I am actually very excited about our 2012 Game (TBA) ;)

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2113 comments Susan wrote: "@Kazza,

I'm assuming there won't be a mid-month challenge again this month, so it's ok to post questions already. If I'm wrong, tell me and I'll delete this so your mid-month place-holder can be m..."

As a suggestion for Susan's issue with task 2, how about grabbing the next 3 oldest titles from your "to read" shelf - sort of an extension of the LOST challenge. Would that work, Karen?

message 5: by Tien (new)

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for putting it more succinctly ;)

message 6: by Susan (new)

Kazza wrote: "As to the conundrum of #2 - the Pick-a-book chain gang would work or if it's a bit slow for you (your comment noted however as my next book will be thick & small print, I don't think I'll be able to finish it any time soon) - you could add 3 more books to your LOST list."

Great ideas, thanks!!

Christina's Book Chronicles (christinasbookchronicles) | 239 comments Hey Kazza! The link in 3&4 isn't working for me. Can you repost or tell us how you got there?

message 8: by Amy (last edited Nov 17, 2011 08:24AM) (new)

Amy | 2113 comments Christina wrote: "Hey Kazza! The link in 3&4 isn't working for me. Can you repost or tell us how you got there?"

Try this, Christina:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

If you scroll down in the first post to the list under 2011, you will see all of the shelves selected this year with links to access them:

January -- Coming of Age -- Lahni
February -- Science -- LynnB
March -- Mythology -- Candiss
April -- Medieval -- Pollyanna
May -- American History -- Delicious Dee Challenge Addict
June -- World Lit -- Lauren
July -- Western -- Arlene
August -- Sociology -- Natasha
September -- Graphic Novels -- Slayermel
October -- Anthology -- Dee
November -- Childhood -- Luann

Christina's Book Chronicles (christinasbookchronicles) | 239 comments Thank you!! :)

message 10: by Tien (new)

ok, I've fixed the link too.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments for #2 - the challenge has to be ending december 31 correct? all mine are at weird stages, so i'll have to see if I have any that are ending around then

message 12: by Tien (new)

Dee wrote: "for #2 - the challenge has to be ending december 31 correct? all mine are at weird stages, so i'll have to see if I have any that are ending around then"

Dee, what I really meant is that challenges ending within this year - so I'll amend it to read "on or before 31 Dec 2011"

message 13: by Tien (new)

sorry, i'm just so stressed atm that I can't even concentrate on my work @ work! :p

*sigh* can't wait for the weekend!

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments seriously, I need the weekend now! its been death by ppt this week for a class i'm in...and I have a read-a-thon starting for one of my other groups

message 15: by Susan (new)

Kazza wrote: "Dee, what I really meant is that challenges ending within this year - so I'll amend it to read "on or before 31 Dec 2011"

But "on or before 31 Dec 2011" would mean the LOST and chain gang challenges wouldn't really fit. Neither one of them has a deadline or ever actually ends.

Sorry to make it complicated, but could it be edited to also include challenges with no deadline dates (on Pick-a-Shelf, at least), or else make it like the NEW challenge -- you have to already have signed up, rather than that there has to be a 12/31 deadline. I think one of those would be more likely to give everyone a chance to find something.

message 16: by Susan (last edited Nov 18, 2011 12:35PM) (new)

Question about shelf-of-the-month points for December. Do they begin right away, now that we know what the shelf will be, or not until December?

If they DO begin right away, then we need a ruling whether a book could earn the 25 shelf-of-the-month points in both Nov. & Dec., if it's on both childhood and suspense shelves, and was completed before the end of November. It turns out that one I just finished would qualify, if we allow it.

My sense is that we don't want to, but I thought I'd better check to be sure.

Sorry to keep coming up with complicated questions. :(

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments I like the already signed up idea - I have a few that are in progress - like my around the world challenge, but they just restarted for the year, so they don't end until halfway through next year

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments did we get a ruling on this? trying to figure out if I can count the book I finished for my bingo challenge...it could end next week, or go into the new year, just depends on which team gets bingo first

message 19: by Tien (new)

Okay, I've taken off the 'deadline' issue since it really doesn't matter that much anyway - it's only meant as a catch up to your other reading challenges so whichever one would do :)

Err, as to the shelf-of-the-month points:
Technically, it should be read during that particular month to be earned however seeing that December tasks were posted early, if you are reading for December tasks, you can claim for the shelf-of-the-month bonus points.

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments whee - you're awesome kazza...can't wait to see next years challenge

message 21: by Susan (new)

Kazza said Err, as to the shelf-of-the-month points:
Technically, it should be read during that particular month to be earned however seeing that December tasks were posted early, if you are reading for December tasks, you can claim for the shelf-of-the-month bonus points.

Thanks, Kazza. But one more picky detail, just to be clear.

If a book is read in November, and is being used for both November and December tasks, and is on both the November and December shelves ...
I'm assuming it should only be allowed to earn points for one of the two months' shelf-of-the-month points, right? November or December, but not both?

message 22: by Tien (new)

Yes, indeed.

I think I should hire you as my 'challenge task auditor', Susan, ha ha ha

message 23: by Susan (new)

Kazza wrote: "Yes, indeed.

I think I should hire you as my 'challenge task auditor', Susan, ha ha ha"

Thanks, but you really do a great job! It's only natural that, once we all start applying them to our individual circumstances, things will pop up that no-one could've anticipated.

That said, if there ever is anything I can do to help, I'd be glad to. I know there are 4 of you, and you split up the tasks well. And I have no desire to become a moderator. But I could certainly pitch in any time you need an extra "hand."