Amazon Kindle & Fire discussion

Playing with Fire > Fire Impressions!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 249 (249 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 293 comments Mod
Just in case something crazy happens and people start raiding the UPS trucks before I wake up.

Give your thoughts here? Problems? Let's try to solve them.

Also, be sure to check into our blog for tips on getting started and setting up tomorrow!

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Ahh! It's here. I could sense the truck coming and now I'm running out the door!!!!!

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) OMG, can't wait to hear what you think.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jan wrote: "OMG, can't wait to hear what you think."

Thanks! It's so light, but it doesn't have that cheap light feel where it seems like there's nothing inside, you know. I love the size too. Am playing around with it now! :)

Jennifer (random jendsmit) (jendsmit) Jennifer - You have to update us and let us know what you think of it! I'm debating on whether or not or buy one or just keep my regular old Kindle with the keyboard :)

Excited to hear what you think of it!!

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) The Best Buy here told us that they would have some in stock today. I am dying to get my hands on one.

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 55 comments I will check one out at the Best Buy too. I saw a commercial last night for a NOOK Tablet. There was no price or specifics just stating that Nook now has a tablet. Now I am really curious.

message 8: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments The Nook tablet is just the Nook Color, I think.

Tablet is the hot buzzword right now, so they're trying to pump some additional sales using it.

Can you tell I don't think much of B&N?

message 9: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 55 comments I don't think much of B&N. I preferred Borders but now I am stuck with B&N. I just checked the NOOK Tablet and it is a tablet. It has 16 GB of storage. 7 inch screen. WiFi and costs $249. Not sure if I want to spend that much. Here is where I read everything about it.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-...

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) B&N did put out a new Nook Color at $199. I would still rather stick with Amazon. But that is just me. I do love the streaming video with my Prime membership.

message 11: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) | 18 comments The new nook tablet is not just the color, it has more impressive specs than the kindle, but I need to be able to read my kindle books. The nook tablet is being released this week so hopefully some reviews soon. My fire is in transit even though none of the reviews were great.

message 12: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) I think there is a Nook tablet (it's 249). I believe it is the replacement for the Nook color, which was 199.

I could be wrong...

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

stormhawk wrote: "Can you tell I don't think much of B&N?"

I feel the same way. I really wasn't impressed with the design of the Nook Tablet. Their CEO demonizing Amazon in their press conference didn't help either.

At this point I've gotten the machine set up, which has been a snap, but I have heard of people having trouble registering their devices. Hopefully no one else has any problems. The look and feel of the interface seems good to me, though it's clear this thing isn't just a mini-iPad. Happy so far though!

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I got mine too! I love it!! I thought I would be waiting all day because it said my shipment was delayed, but it came this morning! I'm so happy! :)

message 15: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 55 comments I'd like to know if you can read a book outside on a sunny day with the Fire.

message 16: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Okay, my wife has informed me that it is here (well, home) and she's charging it up as we speak. She's also claiming that she's holding it hostage.

We need to get a Kindle Raiding Party together and go after it!

message 17: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Hugh (A.K.A. Hermit the Curmudgeon) wrote: "Okay, my wife has informed me that it is here (well, home) and she's charging it up as we speak. She's also claiming that she's holding it hostage.

We need to get a Kindle Raiding Party togethe..."

Hugh, I think you're on your own...no way would I take on a woman with a kindle hostage!!!!

:>)

message 18: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Monica wrote: "I'd like to know if you can read a book outside on a sunny day with the Fire."

I'm guessing it would be like reading your phone in sunlight. Someone in a sunny location will report, no doubt!!

message 19: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) how long does it take to charge?

message 20: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Maria wrote: "Hugh (A.K.A. Hermit the Curmudgeon) wrote: "Okay, my wife has informed me that it is here (well, home) and she's charging it up as we speak. She's also claiming that she's holding it hostage.

We ..."

I broke her down in negotiations. She even volunteered to drive so I can "play with it" on my way to dinner (we have a dinner thing with friends). She recognized my worth to her in other areas.

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Hugh (A.K.A. Hermit the Curmudgeon) wrote: "Maria wrote: "Hugh (A.K.A. Hermit the Curmudgeon) wrote: "Okay, my wife has informed me that it is here (well, home) and she's charging it up as we speak. She's also claiming that she's holding it..."

Sounds like a major victory! Glad there were no casualties.

I think Maria has a good handle on it that it's not too different than a phone for reading outside, though the screen and layout is better so it's much better than a phone. I do miss E-Ink, but I will be able to handle this.

message 22: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debmj) | 13 comments My Kindle Fire arrived while I was out so just got home and plugged it in to start charging. Can't wait to play with it.
I'm doing my Kindle Fire Happy Dance!!!!

message 23: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) The reviews are pouring in on Amazon. Seems a bit early to me. Anyway, they are mostly positive so far with a few IPAD folks raining on the parade.

message 24: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) Monica wrote: "I will check one out at the Best Buy too. I saw a commercial last night for a NOOK Tablet. There was no price or specifics just stating that Nook now has a tablet. Now I am really curious."

Isn't the Nook tablet set at $249? I remember it's about $50.00 more than the Fire, but it has loads more onboard memory (but not the cloud). I'm sticking with Fire. Heck, just the abundance of free Prime video content makes the Fire hard to beat.

message 25: by stormhawk (last edited Nov 15, 2011 10:59AM) (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments It rocks. I don't think more needs be said.

Okay, I do wish the prime membership would let me download a given number of rental or purchase videos for offline viewing.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Leslie wrote: "Monica wrote: "I will check one out at the Best Buy too. I saw a commercial last night for a NOOK Tablet. There was no price or specifics just stating that Nook now has a tablet. Now I am reall..."

Yes, there isn't that much memory on the Fire (8GB), but with the Cloud stuff it's really a non issue. And memory is something that takes up space and really bumps up the cost. BN doesn't have the infrastructure to do that, and so that's a huge reason why they couldn't match the price.

Glad you're happy, stormhawk! I'm feeling good about it too! I think I'll see what people are posting about on the Amazon page.

message 27: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jerzbookishnerd) | 3 comments if your a member at BN then i think its like 225. thats why im still debating if i should wait but Best Buy is only holding my kindle for 48 hours

message 28: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments If you're already a Kindle user, the Fire is a better deal because you have access to all of your old content.

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

It really looks like there are people trolling the reviews trying to convince people to get an iPad. Wow. Nice to see people commenting to call them out on it. It's fine if people have issues, but sleezy stuff like that doesn't fly.

message 30: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Leslie wrote: "Monica wrote: "I will check one out at the Best Buy too. I saw a commercial last night for a NOOK Tablet. There was no price or specifics just stating that Nook now has a tablet. Now I am reall..."

I think the Kindle Fire and storage space on the cloud will make it a better deal if the mechanism for pulling down and viewing media (books, movies etc.) works smoothly. If it doesn't, then, wait for the memory sticks to come out.

message 31: by The Pirate Ghost (last edited Nov 15, 2011 11:49AM) (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Jennifer wrote: "It really looks like there are people trolling the reviews trying to convince people to get an iPad. Wow. Nice to see people commenting to call them out on it. It's fine if people have issues, but ..."

iPad people are a cult, like people who drive Saturns. (I'm joking, I drive a Saturn). With the Apple/Mac stuff you either like it or you don't. The people that like it are as closed minded as anyone about the value of another piece of gear.

from the little I've read, it seems that the Fire is going to be to the iPad what the Android was to the iPhone. Most people like the Android smart phones because they are cheaper and they do what they need and what they use. Not so much because the android is better. What the iPhone's better at, most people don't value as much because they don't use it.

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Good observations there, Hugh. I think you're onto something. The Fire will be a quality device with some loss of versatility, but for a $3-400 price cut it's well worth it. Seems like a lot of people are very pleased.

message 33: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I've seen my wife's iPhone, and I'd rather have my dependable, understandable Droid Incredible.

I don't do much post my face now on face book, so i don't need the camera and the games.. okay, maybe I want the games (P-{D>

I am interested in getting into all the movies and TV shows etc... (and books too). I've been saving my Audibile books credits for the Fire.

message 34: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Asbury | 2 comments Well said my good man. Bravo!

message 35: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 55 comments There are so many different tablets out there. Some even cheaper then the Fire (usually because they are older versions). I have seen the iPad and honestly it has a larger screen. Not sure of the weight. I haven't held them that much. I have seen just a regular Nook and I liked some things and didn't like other things (mainly the weight of it). I have seen the Cruz Tablet and I like that too.

I have talked to many different people that own many different tablets and ereaders and each one loves the one they own. I just need to find what I like and fits into my budget in many ways (not just the cost of the initial product).

I am liking the many different posts in here to get honest oppinions.

message 36: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I think the iPhone is a status symbol for a lot of people. I know it is for some people. I have a droid and love it. Plus, honestly I've been fathered into a great plan. So, switching wouldn't be wise. I would like some kind of Kindle because I could have the best of both worlds, a Nook and a Kindle. Right now I read books I can't get on my Nook on my phones Kindle app and it gets annoying sometimes.

I really can't wait to see what everyone thinks of this new Kindle Fire.

message 37: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (jerseygirlbookreviews) | 1 comments UPS delivered my Kindle Fire this morning ... OMG ... it is awesome, been playing with it all day, there is sooooo much to play with ... *doing the happy dance*

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Kathleen wrote: "UPS delivered my Kindle Fire this morning ... OMG ... it is awesome, been playing with it all day, there is sooooo much to play with ... *doing the happy dance*"

Awesome! I feel the same way. The device is great!

message 39: by Robin Lyn (new)

Robin Lyn (dreamergirl) I am joining in on the happy dancing! My UPS was also delayed but it is here now and all I can say is I love the new Kindle Fire! It is even more than I imagined and works super fast. I messed around with it a tad when I got home from work and now it is sleeping like a baby getting fully charged! I go in and gaze at it much the same way I did when my son was a baby and was sleeping!!

message 40: by Robin Lyn (new)

Robin Lyn (dreamergirl) Oh, someone asked how long to get a full charge. I read that it takes approximately 4 hours.

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (threeundertwo) | 3 comments I picked up mine this morning at Best Buy after dithering a bit about whether I really wanted one. I'll still read most of my books on my e-ink kindle but right now I'm enjoying what the fire can do. Mine was nearly fully charged when I opened the box. In fact this message comes to you from my fire. Happy fire day.

message 42: by Anne-Gigi (new)

Anne-Gigi  Chan (pinelakechic) Just got home and my Fire is in the delivery box!! Yeah! Just setting up right now and will be back to post my thoughts .... probably directly from the Fire itself!! :)

message 43: by Anne-Gigi (new)

Anne-Gigi  Chan (pinelakechic) Debbie wrote: "My Kindle Fire arrived while I was out so just got home and plugged it in to start charging. Can't wait to play with it.
I'm doing my Kindle Fire Happy Dance!!!!"

Me too! :) And first thing I did was of course to take a photo of the box and post it on FB via my phone.... how did I manage before the days of electronic gadgetry!!!???

message 44: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Here is an article comparing the Fire and Nook tablet

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2011/11...

I'm so jealous I could SPIT!

message 45: by Robin Lyn (new)

Robin Lyn (dreamergirl) Oh Sheila, I sure hope yours comes soon! I knew I would feel like you do and that is why I opted for overnight delivery.

message 46: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 55 comments Sheila,
Thanks for that link. Very informative and I didn't feel like I was being sold one item over the other. I hope to go check out the kindle Fire this weekend at Best Buy. Then I just need to save up my money to buy one.

message 47: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Great article thanks, Sheila. It gives me something to think about.

message 48: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) In that article it seemed like the Nook had a lot more of everything than the Fire does as far as memory and storage space -- except for one thing that is HUGE for me. They don't have Amazon. I will be curious to see how the Cloud works and the streaming, etc. I haven't really investigated that yet.

message 49: by Lora (new)

Lora | 31 comments okay all you Fire owners....can I come to your house and play with it?? I'm gonna go to Staples or Best Buy and look at it and touch it and smell it and stroke it... :)
I need to decide if that's what I want and if the screen is big enough for me to use it as a tablet. I have a Kindle for reading, I want the Fire for more of a tablet than an ereader.

message 50: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) Sheila wrote: "In that article it seemed like the Nook had a lot more of everything than the Fire does as far as memory and storage space -- except for one thing that is HUGE for me. They don't have Amazon. I ..."

If you go to the Kindle Fire on Amazon and look down where the features are, in the web browsing there is a link to a very good explanation of how Silk works. Basically, the work is split between the Fire and the Amazon resources, which are huge and always connected to the internet through the backend. Really very clever. Check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Ama...

« previous 1 3 4 5