Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > Some good adult books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Tanecia  (books101) | 3795 comments Mod
I want to step out of the YA groove that I have and maybe read some adult paranormal books... any suggestions? I'm not that picky... :)

message 2: by Sable (last edited Nov 14, 2011 05:12PM) (new)

Sable (sablexx) | 10 comments Try...

Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead

I thought it was good. :)

message 3: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Thank you my sister just bought that book so I'll probably have to borrow it from her whenever she's finished !

Kel (Faerie-bookworm) (faerie-bookworm) | 111 comments the blackdagger brotherhood by jr ward is awesome and VERY adult.

message 5: by Tanecia , The bookworm (last edited Nov 14, 2011 05:49PM) (new)

Kel (LOVES books) wrote: "the blackdagger brotherhood by jr ward is awesome and VERY adult."

Are those books New our have they've been out for a while? Because I've heard about these books and I want to see if I can find them at my local half priced book store .

Kel (Faerie-bookworm) (faerie-bookworm) | 111 comments They have been out for a while and they are AWESOME.

message 7: by Kimi (new)

Kimi (kimisokool) | 15 comments Night Huntress by J. Frost and Chicagoland Vampires! =)

message 8: by Janina (last edited Nov 16, 2011 11:19PM) (new)

Janina (synchronizedreading) | 187 comments OMG theres so many:
The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) by J.R. Ward Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9) by J.R. Ward
-she probably my fave adult author!
The Riley Jenson series by Keri Arthur
Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian, #1) by Keri Arthur Kissing Sin (Riley Jenson Guardian, #2) by Keri Arthur Tempting Evil (Riley Jenson Guardian, #3) by Keri Arthur Dangerous Games (Riley Jenson Guardian, #4) by Keri Arthur Embraced By Darkness (Riley Jenson Guardian, #5) by Keri Arthur The Darkest Kiss (Riley Jenson Guardian, #6) by Keri Arthur Deadly Desire (Riley Jenson Guardian, #7) by Keri Arthur Bound to Shadows (Riley Jenson Guardian, #8) by Keri Arthur Moon Sworn (Riley Jenson Guardian, #9) by Keri Arthur
Kelley Armstrong's- Women of the Otherworld series
( i like Clay and Elena's stories the best )
too many books to put but here's the first 2
Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Stolen (Women of the Otherworld, #2) by Kelley Armstrong

message 9: by Tanecia , The bookworm (last edited Nov 17, 2011 07:24AM) (new)

Lol thank you kimi and Janina! I will definitely check those out!

message 10: by Nadia (new)

Nadia I loved the Fever series by Karem Marie-Moning! :)
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning

message 11: by Kimi (new)

Kimi (kimisokool) | 15 comments I actually finished the Succubus Blue book the other day and I love it just like I loved Vampire Academy! I'm on book two of the Georgina series now and loving it. Definitely read it. And tell me what you think if ur done.

message 12: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Stanton (hazels) | 3 comments ★ Kimi ★ wrote: "I actually finished the Succubus Blue book the other day and I love it just like I loved Vampire Academy! I'm on book two of the Georgina series now and loving it. Definitely read it. And tell me w..." I have this on my ever growing tbr list..really joing this site hasn't help diminish this list

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 198 comments I love the fever series and succubus series (best HEA ever) But I was recommended the Demonica series and yes it is good.

Check it out. Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione
if your not into demons, you will be after this series. They are not what you expect.

message 14: by Kimi (new)

Kimi (kimisokool) | 15 comments Terri wrote: "I love the fever series and succubus series (best HEA ever) But I was recommended the Demonica series and yes it is good.

if your not into ..."

I heard Demonica was good too. I actually like Jerome sometimes in Succubus so I'll have to take a look at Demonica. I love so many books with bad stuff in them but damn they are so good! Hahaha I'm loving Georgina! I just started #3. I'm listening to the audiobooks all day at work hahaha

message 15: by Kimi (new)

Kimi (kimisokool) | 15 comments Hazel wrote: "★ Kimi ★ wrote: "I actually finished the Succubus Blue book the other day and I love it just like I loved Vampire Academy! I'm on book two of the Georgina series now and loving it. Definitely read ..."

Girl I found out about this site in like june and I only started with like 200 books less than that even. Now I have 1300+. You just can't stop once you start. It'll take me like 30 yrs to read em all LOL

message 16: by Janina (new)

Janina (synchronizedreading) | 187 comments Terri wrote: "I love the fever series and succubus series (best HEA ever) But I was recommended the Demonica series and yes it is good.

if your not into ..."

I have not read the succubus series yet! I want to start it. But didn't know if it was a good series. I've been wanting to read it for a while now.

message 17: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

I know me too! It looks soo good!

message 18: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Sheri | 12178 comments Mod
One of my favorite series is Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs

My second favorite is Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris

message 19: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Stanton (hazels) | 3 comments Must check into a lot of those!

message 20: by Jacqui (last edited Dec 15, 2011 04:45AM) (new)

Jacqui (Jacqui88) | 14 comments I will just put the 1st book in the series down and I will try to add books that other people haven't added already!

Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh , Blood of the Wicked (Dark Mission, #1) by Karina Cooper , Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1) by Lora Leigh , Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead , Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton , One Bite With A Stranger (The Others #6) by Christine Warren , Witch Fire (Elemental Witches, #1) by Anya Bast , Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1) by Rachel Caine , Trance (MetaWars, #1) by Kelly Meding and Dark Beginnings (Includes Lords of the Underworld, #0.5 & #3.5 & #4.5) by Gena Showalter

message 21: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Kyle wrote: "Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2) by James Patterson..."

I love James Patterson, and the Alex Cross series are some of my favorite books. I haven't read the two newest ones yet.

message 22: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Jacqui wrote: "I will just put the 1st book in the series down and I will try to add books that other people haven't added already!

Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh, Blood of the Wicked (Dark Mission, #1) by Karina Cooper,..."

I haven't read any of these, but most of them are on my to-read list!

message 23: by Tanecia , The bookworm (last edited Dec 15, 2011 06:26AM) (new)

I love the Sookie Stackhouse series Sheri their great and I need to get back into the groove of reading the feast of the series.

Is kiss the girls a movie ? I think I remember seeing it a long time ago.... But thank you guys for your suggestions I will definitely have to add all of these to my list.

message 24: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Yep, Kiss the Girls was made into a movie with Morgan Freeman (who I love!) playing the lead, and so was Along Came a Spider, which is the first book in the series.

message 25: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Has anyone read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson ? I've been hearing a lot about it, and it has been made into a movie. Is it good?

message 26: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

I haven't read the book but the movie was a good mystery type suspence movie but it had really bad language and some disturbing stuff in it just to warn you. But I've seen I think it was the Canadian version and they just remade the movie and it came out this month.... I want to read the books because I've heard the books are way better than the movie.

message 27: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria Nicole (alexandriatheo) | 51 comments Melissa wrote: "The The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larssonis a decent book but it takes several hundred pages to get going. I almost gave up on it but after that it picks up and the rest of the series..."

I felt exactly the same way about this book! It kind of freaked me out too since I'm not much of a mystery reader, so I haven't read the second yet, not sure if I'm going to.

message 28: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

I guess I've been holding off on it because isn't it set in Sweden or somewhere? I find it hard to get into books that are set in different countries for some reason.

message 29: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) I found the entire trilogy excellent. The first book does start out slowly, like a heavily loaded freight train pulling out of the station--but once it gets started, it picks up speed and you don't dare jump off. Book 2, The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson , starts much faster and hits a breakneck speed--and you shouldn't start book 2 unless you have book 3 right at hand, or you'll be very frustrated until you can get to it. All 3 books are incredibly dense in details. Stieg Larsson was a journalist, and he makes research very interesting. The character of Lizbeth Solander will haunt you.

Yes, the books are set it Sweden. Larsson loved his native country, and his descriptions of the land, its culture, and its people will tempt you to move to, or at least visit, Sweden. He makes you perfectly welcome and at home in his country.

The movie of Dragon Tattoo is great. Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara give fantastic performances, as does the entire cast. But read the book first, or you'll be confused. As I mentioned, the books are very densely packed with characters and details, and the movie's only 2-1/2 hours long. It's very true to the book, but it would take a 6-hour miniseries to fully explain who all the characters are and exactly what they're doing. But once you've read the book, you appreciate every bit of it.

I rated all 3 books at 5 stars apiece.

message 30: by Alana ~ The Book Pimp (last edited Dec 25, 2011 11:43PM) (new)

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 374 comments PNR:
Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1) by Larissa Ione (1st in series)
Covet (The Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward (1st in series)
On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews (1st in series)

More UF than PNR:
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison (1st in series) Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong (1st in series)
I second Night Huntress and Fever series- and Succubus is a great series!

Light(little or none in some books) on Romance, but still good:
Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire (1st in series)
Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne (1st in series)
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher (1st in series)
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews (1st in series)

message 31: by Sheree (new)

Sheree I am coming to the end of Night Huntress so am looking for some suggestions of what series to read first. Everyone on our other group suggest's I start BDB but other's are strongly suggestion 50 Shades Of Grey....I'm feeling conflicted lol

message 32: by Alana ~ The Book Pimp (last edited Dec 26, 2011 01:23AM) (new)

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 374 comments If you are hankering for paranormal, go with BDB if you don't mind an absence of magic then read 50 Shades. Many people suggested BDB to me, and I read the first book. I didn't dislike it or anything, it was good... I just have not been bitten by the BDB bugs apparently. I'll eventually read the entire series. And 50 Shades is very emotional. You must have book 2 ready; if you don't - wait to read it until you do.

message 33: by Sheree (new)

Sheree Alana wrote: "If you are hankering for paranormal, go with BDB if you don't mind an absence of magic then read 50 Shades. Many people suggested BDB to me, and I read the first book. I didn't dislike it or anyt..."

lol Alana I will have to wait for pay day to get 50 shades 1&2 but I have the first BDB book already on my Kindle thank's to P.A. I will get them later in the week when the money eventually goes in the bank. It will be late due to Christmas & public holidays. I hope your Christmas was great :) xx

message 34: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) try Nora Roberts.
Key of Light (Key trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts Key of Knowledge (Key Trilogy, #2) by Nora Roberts Key of Valor (Key Trilogy, #3) by Nora Roberts

and these

Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island, #1) by Nora Roberts Heaven and Earth (Three Sisters Island, #2) by Nora Roberts Face the Fire (Three Sisters Island, #3) by Nora Roberts

message 35: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Beatrice wrote: "try Nora Roberts.
Key of Light (Key trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts[

Ive heard a lot of good thing about this author I will have to read some of her books to see for myself :)

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 27, 2011 03:15PM) (new)

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1) by Jocelyn Davies Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie
all of which i recently finished reading (=

message 37: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Peterson | 217 comments I would suggest Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) by Laurell K. Hamilton Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3) by Laurell K. Hamilton The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #4) by Laurell K. Hamilton Bloody Bones (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter, #5) by Laurell K. Hamilton etc.

I'm a huge fan of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series.

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) Stephen wrote: "I found the entire trilogy excellent. The first book does start out slowly, like a heavily loaded freight train pulling out of the station--but once it gets started, it picks up speed and you don't..."

Thank you for the warning about not starting book 2 without book 3 at hand. I just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo yesterday and I have Girl Who Played with Fire, but I am going to take a break to read the latest book in another series. That will give me a chance to go get The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest first :)

message 39: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) Hope you enjoyed Dragon Tattoo. Now go see the movie. Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara are superb.

Yes, this is a good place to take a break...'cause once you start Played with Fire, you won't be able to come up for air until you're finished. Played with Fire and Hornet's Nest are really one very long novel broken in half. Hornet's Nest doesn't end with a cliffhanger, but when you finish you'll be cursing anyway that Larsson died before he could write any more of them.

message 40: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Thanks Stephen. I'll stop analyzing the reviews and add them to my to-read list!

message 41: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Nikki wrote: "I would suggest Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) by Laurell K. Hamilton "

Ive heard some mixed reviews of the Anita Blake series and I'm afraid to read it because if I start a series if I like it or not I have to finish it and I definitely don't want to be stuck reading a series I don't like because of my OCD with finishing series.

Isn't there like 13 books in this series?

message 42: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Peterson | 217 comments There's actually 20 out now.... Maybe that isn't a good suggestion then... I think she has another one coming out shortly as well. I would hate for you to not enjoy what you were reading because of something I like, but you may not.... I know several people that do enjoy them though.

message 43: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) I haven't read them, but my wife has. She enjoyed the first several, but says Hamilton got trapped into some bad cycles and later books go off on weird, repetitive tangents that she simply finds annoying. Based on that, and your OCD, you might be careful. But you shouldn't let yourself be trapped into reading something you no longer find enjoyable...there are simply too many enjoyable books out there!

Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer (michmag) Melissa wrote: "The The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larssonis a decent book but it takes several hundred pages to get going. I almost gave up on it but after that it picks up and the rest of the series..."

I agree Melissa. It took me about 100 pages to get into the first book but after that I couldn't put it down and read the whole series pretty quickly after that. Loved it. I got a bunch of people at work to read them too and we all loved them.

message 45: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Nikki wrote: "There's actually 20 out now.... Maybe that isn't a good suggestion then... I think she has another one

Yeah, I have picked up this series a couple of times in my local book store but was skeptical about how many books that are in the series and the mixed the reviews that's all. But I try not to judge a book by other people's opinion but it does have a small influence on the books I do choose to read(rarely).
But if you can enjoy them then why not? I'll give em a try maybe after my long TBR list. :)

message 46: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Linwood (alycia_linwood) I love Anita Blake series too! There are a few books somewhere in the middle of the series which I didn't enjoy as much, but I still liked them.
I'd also suggest A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1) by Adrian Phoenix It's a series, but there are only 4 books out so far and they are so awesome. They're just getting better and better. One of my favorite series ever.

message 47: by Tanecia , The bookworm (last edited Dec 30, 2011 06:44AM) (new)

Thanks Alycia I will have to check those out as well as the Anita Blake series.

message 48: by Berenice (new)

Berenice (ccb014) | 18 comments I love the iron druid chronicles by kevin hearne, the first book of the series is Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne and there is also another series that I adore and its Chloe Neill's Chicagoland vampires the first book of the series is Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill

message 49: by Sarah Marie (new)

Sarah Marie Here are some books:
How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks (first in series)
Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter, #0) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (prequel to Dark-Hunter series)
Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (first in series)
Born of Night (The League, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (first in series)
Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh (first in series)
Love in the Time of Dragons (Light Dragons, #1) by Katie MacAlister (first in series)
Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper (first in series and really funny)
Night Myst (Indigo Court, #1) by Yasmine Galenorn (first in series)
Touch of Evil (Thrall #1) by C.T. Adams (first in series)
Kiss Me Forever by Rosemary Laurey (first in series)
Bad Attitude (B.A.D. Series, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (first in series)

Historical Romance (I'm not a fan of historical but these books are great):
Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers #1) by Sarah MacLean (first in series)
Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1) by Lisa Kleypas

I read this book but it wasn't that great but you might like it:
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

message 50: by Rubi (last edited Jan 03, 2012 08:21AM) (new)

Rubi (shall813) | 67 comments I ♥ Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison (first in a series)
First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones (first in a series and very funny for paranormal, to step away from the more serious books)
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning first in a series,

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness first in a series, and the adult twilight they say!!! I don't see it!

« previous 1