Banned Books Club discussion

Off Topic Topics > Broken Wrist!! But just starting Marquez!!!!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments Hi Serena, Satia, Anda & the rest of the group!!!

I have fallen SO BEHIND on my reading because this job is taking up so much of my time, and to top it off, two weeks ago I was crossing Third Avenue here in Manhattan and was lost in thought (thinking about work, money, the economy, etc.) SO, due to lack of paying attention, I went flying! (and no, I was not wearing high heels.)

Anyway, I used my hands to break the fall and wound up with a broken/fractured wrist!!! And I may need surgery. I have an appointment for one more set of xrays next week, which will determine if I need surgery. If I do get surgery I will only be in a cast for an additional 3 weeks. If surgery is not an option I will be in a cast for around TEN WEEKS!!!!

Needless to say, I am now even FURTHER behind at work, and I've hardly been coming here to Goodreads.

BUT -- here's the good news -- I bought myself a Nook as a get well gift and the FIRST book I put on my nook was One Hundred Years of Solitude.

I just got it over the weekend and it's been difficult for me to get used to reading on the Nook, so it's been a bit hard to get into the book so far. I need to get used to the Nook and there are still so many features I have not yet figured out.

Anda, are you going to continue moderating the discussion here until the end of the month??? I may not finish by the end of the month, but I hope we can keep the discussion open for a while!!! I've been wanting to read this for so long!!!

I hope all is going well for all of you!!

b.

message 2: by Satia (new)

Satia As far as I'm concerned, all discussions remain open. the person who leads the discussion may or may not be around but, hopefully, one or more people who read the book will be.

I hope your wrist heals well and quickly. Congrats on buying yourself a Nook. I'm still waiting to get enough clicks on my book review site to earn enough to buy myself an e-reader. And my son is planning on publishing an ebook in the near future so I hope I get enough clicks soon because I'd like to be comfortable using it before his book is finished. (He's looking for a cover artist, last I heard.)

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments Satia, I didn't realize you had a book review site as a business!!! (Although you probably mentioned it but I've been so wrapped up in this job that I just spaced out on it!!!!)

Please post the link here, or send it to my personal email address (which I'll send to you through a personal facebook email.)

I'd love to see your site and I'll click away!!!

By the way -- not crazy about the Nook just yet. There's a lot for me to get used to, because I never used touch-screen before. AND, something went wrong with 100 Years of Solitude -- I purchased the book for $9.99, but for some reason I only got the first 11 pages!!! So I'm going to call them later to find out what's going on.

Best of luck to your son on his book!! Please share the title and author's name so I can check it out!!! As long as it's not scary or too depressing I'd love to read it.

b.

message 4: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments Hi Barbara, so sorry to hear about your accident! Were you hit by a cab? 10 weeks in a cast is a long time, but it's probably not as traumatizing to your body as a surgery would be. Either way, I hope you heal nicely and soon!

Do read One Hundred Years of Solitude if you have time, like Satia said, discussions remain open, and it's such a wonderful book.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments Hi Serena! Thank you SO much for your concern! You're right -- surgery would be traumatizing. It would be great to just keep my wrist in a cast and let it heal on its own, and I am seriously considering that option but I'm going to wait until the next set of xrays next week and I guess I'll just go through the pros and cons of surgery vs. long time in a cast.

No, I wasn't hit by a cab (although, based on the way these taxi drivers speed through the streets while talking on their cell phones, it certainly wouldn't be a shocking scenario!!) I was just crossing the street and not really paying attention to anything -- I was lost in thought about work, money, bills -- you know, all the stressful things that life throws at us, and I somehow lost my balance and fell. OMG -- it REALLY hurt!!!! There weren't many people around -- it was around 8pm in a pretty quiet neighborhood in the East 30s, but a woman and man came running from different directions. I'm so grateful to them, because I really needed help. So the woman called my ex-husband (he and I are still very close) and he came right away and took me to the emergency room.

This has been physically painful, but the inconvenience of only being able to use one hand has been much worse than the pain.

On a much brighter note, I did start reading One Hundred Years of Solitude and was enjoying the very beginning, but I just purchased a Nook and for some reason the Nook version of the book stopped at page 11!!! So I called customer support and they tried to replace the book for me, but they discovered that ALL the copies of this book stop at page 11. So they're refunding me for the book and contacting the publisher to get this issue fixed. I may just get the actual book (unless the Nook version is resolved within the next few days.)

I can already tell, even just from the first 11 pages, that I will really like One Hundred Years of Solitude!

message 6: by Anda (new)

Anda | 34 comments Hi Barbara,

I am so sorry about your accident. I hope you will quickly heel, no matter how. Regarding 100 years of solitude, don’t worry, I will be here, since my rhythm of reading it is veeeery slow nowadays. ..100 years :) But as Serena said, the book is wonderful and it is actually the first time when I don’t gulp it and I have time to enjoy it.
Satia, good luck with your blog and to your son!
I've never tried a Nook, but I can't wait my Christmas gift, which is an Ipad :) I have ordered it myself, through a special employee program we have at work that allows us to buy different media gadgets, which are, most important, deductible. And in Denmark the taxes are huge:) It will be delivered just before Christmas. As far I have used my Iphone for reading ebooks or audible books; but and Iphone for reading it is definetly not the best experience.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments Hi Anda!! Thank you for your kind words on my accident!!

I think I'm finally getting used to my new Nook!!! I think you'll be very happy with it as a Christmas present!!!

I've been able to read other books on my Nook, but there was a problem with !00 Years of Solitude. For some reason, it only went up to page 11!!! So I'm going to try to get to a Barnes & Noble this weekend to see if they can help me find and download a better version of the book!!!

Based on the first 11 pages, I am really looking forward to reading it!!!

message 8: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments See? New Yorkers are nice. :)

When my pup and I got bit 2 weeks ago at the dog run, after we separated the dogs (the other held onto my pup's face and wouldn't let go), I saw my fingers were bleeding cuz I was accidentally bitten in the chaos. I was in shock, but a lady offered to hold my dog while another lady quickly too took out 2 bandages and wrapped me up. One gentleman reminded me to get the other owner's information, and another older lady hinted to me he should pay for the vet. By the time I gathered my thought, those nice people were all gone. As if they materialized out of nowhere just to help me. Lol!

Anyway, I hope your 100 Years of Solitude problem gets solved and you can continue the story soon.

message 9: by Satia (new)

Satia I do too because I love this novel so much. My mother says that Love in the Time of Cholera is even better but I haven't read it.

message 10: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments I personally like 100 years better because it has everything... "Love in the Time of Cholera" is excellent but because its theme, it has a smaller scope, I feel.

Funny thing is I have tried to read In "Evil Hours" twice and still can't get through the first fourth of the book. Just can't get into it. I would like to try his collected stories, especially "Big Mama's Funeral" and "The Incredible and Sad Tale of Innocent Erendira and Her Heartless Grandmother" which are also mentioned in 100 Years of Solitude.

message 11: by Satia (new)

Satia Barbara, I sent you a message through goodreads. Not sure if you've noticed and I didn't want you to think I'm ignoring you but I chose to reply that way rather than there in this thread.

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments Hi Satia,

I have not seen your message yet because, believe it or not, I forgot my password to get into the messages!!! And it's funny because the reason I was trying to get into my messages was to send YOU a message!!!!

I saw your blog and your Journal Site and they're great!!

So I clicked the "I Forgot My Password" link, so once I go back to my regular email I'll be able to set a new password and get into my messages.

message 13: by Satia (new)

Satia LOL!

With a name like "satia" I'm pretty easy to find. :)

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments Speaking of the name Satia (great name by the way) I was wondering about the correct pronunciation.

I'm guessing it's SAY-sha or SAH-sha (the caps being on the accented part.

Or, it could be SAH-shee-a or say-SHEE-ah.

LOL -- are you going to share the correct answer with us????

message 15: by Satia (new)

Satia Finally. Silly good reads is finally allowing me to leave another reply. Sheesh. Error message after error message.

It is SAY-sha as in "insatiable." :)

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments Yay!!!! That was what I thought!! (You see how it was my first guess???)

Absolutely AWESOME name!!!