Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Silver Sparrow
This topic is about Silver Sparrow
"Silver Sparrow" Now On The Goodreads Choice Awards Ballot!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments Because of a large number of write-in votes (some of which came from LFPC group members), Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones has been added to the semifinal ballot for Best Fiction in the Goodreads Choice award! The number of nominees by authors of color seems painfully low. Did anyone notice any other nominees of color that we should know about?

http://www.goodreads.com/award/choice...

Doret | 15 comments For novel of the year - my write in vote was for Please Look After Mom by kyung-Sook Shin. It was a very difficult decision but its an amazing novel and I loved it as much as I did Silver Sparrow.

Also Walter Mosley's When The Thrill is Gone wasn't on the mystery ballot. Yet, James Patterson, JD Robb aka Nora Roberts, Janet Evanoivch all have mysteries in the next round. Evanoivch's Stephanie Plum is great and a lot of fun, but should it be in the running for the best mystery of they year, probably not. And anyone is going to argue that Patterson and Robb should be, then we can never ever ever be book friends.

The more I look at what's nominated in the mystery genre the more upset I get. How is Jo Nesbo not nominated. And do not believe the hype about Before I Go to Sleep.

Hey Mina sorry for going way off topic but very happy to see Silver Sparrow make it to the next round.

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments No problem, Doret! I noticed that Zone One by Colson Whitehead is nominated in Horror. Has anyone read it yet? If anyone is planning on voting in the semifinal round, the polls close on November 20.

Doret | 15 comments Actually reading Zone One now, its very good and classic Whitehead, I voted for it but I wouldn't consider it Horror and that is in no way meant to be a knock to Horror since its a genre I love. I think Zone One is simply a difficult novel to label.

Rashida | 264 comments I wrote in Pym: A Novel. Ah well. But I have a disadvantage on these kinds of polls, because I don't usually read books so soon to when they're released.

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3702 comments Mod
How impressive for Silver Sparrow to be added on the list. A groundswell of support! I voted.... Thanks, Mina!

message 7: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo | 1031 comments Rashida wrote: "I wrote in Pym: A Novel. Ah well. But I have a disadvantage on these kinds of polls, because I don't usually read books so soon to when they're released."

yay Pym! i voted SP.

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments If the book that you voted for in the first round didn't make the semifinals, you can vote for one of the selected books this week.

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments More good news for group member Tayari Jones! She has been awarded a 2012 Literature Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts. She is among 40 American writers selected for this distinction. Ms. Jones will use the $25,000 unrestricted grant to research her fourth novel.

http://www.nea.gov/grants/recent/12gr...

And Silver Sparrow was chosen by Library Journal as one the top ten books of 2011.

http://reviews.libraryjournal.com/201...

Rebecca | 386 comments Wonderful to hear. Congratulations Tayari!! Looking forward to her next novel.

message 11: by Adrienna (new) - added it

Adrienna (adriennaturner) | 557 comments Wow...I would love to get grants for research...sounds great.

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3702 comments Mod
Wilhelmina wrote: "More good news for group member Tayari Jones! She has been awarded a 2012 Literature Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts. She is among 40 American writers selected..."

Mina, I just checked out The Library Journal's list of Top Ten Books for '11 and Silver Sparrow is in mighty good company (or should I say the other books are in good company?) Certainly a testament to the great writing in Sparrow, that Tayari would be included on this list from top editors who select from a variety of titles and genres, to make this year-end Top 10. Impressive! ....thanks again for sharing with us!

Regina (reginar) Wilhelmina wrote: "More good news for group member Tayari Jones! She has been awarded a 2012 Literature Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts. She is among 40 American writers selected..."

I saw the Library Journal honor yesterday while I was on their site, but great news all around! It is a well-deserved honor.

Barbara Albin | 24 comments Silver Sparrow was great! So happy for Tayari, has been a great year for her 2011 into 2012