Penny for Your Thoughts discussion

Other Coins > Speake Ye Olde English?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (last edited Nov 14, 2011 04:26PM) (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 415 comments Mod
Hear ye, hear ye! Listen well, my good ladies (and gentlemen!). Dost thou not wish ye could speakst in Olde English? Here, I have procur'd for ye some fine Examples of Written Text, in which those Authores hath describ'd (in great detaile) how ye would say Variouse Things in Olde English. If any of ye could kindly find me a Site that hath Rules for whence to use an 'e' at the end of thy words, and whence to make some Letters Capitaliséd (because, at this moment, I am winging it), it would be much appreciated. I have not found suche Rules as of yet, so ye should have fun with it.

For the use of Verbe Endings and how to Address People
For the Olde English sayings
For Olde English vocabulary
Olde English Grammars

So, have ye some fun and Chatte Here:

message 2: by Larissa (new)

Larissa | 56 comments Whatte do ye wishe to Chatte about?

message 3: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) "About what dost thou wish to Chatte?" ye pert, unlearned knave.

message 4: by Larissa (new)

Larissa | 56 comments I do most humbly apologize.

message 5: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (last edited Nov 14, 2011 04:24PM) (new)

Good e'en, and welcome, lasses, to my most humble Chatte Topick. Pray tell, whatever hast ye been about?

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori What dost thou cooke for thine e'en meal?

message 7: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (last edited Dec 10, 2011 05:09PM) (new)

Ah, I had not cooked an e'en meal at that time yesternight. 'Twas the Night of Foode Left-Over from Some Prior Meal.

^Green Pnanda O.o Ye dost wantest me to tell ye about chicken?

message 9: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

If thou wouldst, t'would be a moste delightful tayle.

message 10: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) Why'th shall we be chatten in Ol' English?

message 11: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (last edited Dec 10, 2011 05:25PM) (new)

Why, Shay, a moste excellente query. Methought 'twould be a moste enjoyable exercyse. Would anyone be willingye to role-playe with myself in any of those grouppes I am in?

message 12: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) Why, I would be most honored, Maggie. Thy have a most brilliant idea. 'Twould ye enjoye hearingye of this most joyus of plans?

message 13: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Why moste certainlye, Shaye.

message 14: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) Well, Maggie, pardon my interuptione of this msot excellente of topics. Thy had the thoughte of makinge a groupe specifically for RolePlayinge in Ol' English and in the settinge of the 1700's in Olde England.

message 15: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

'Twould be moste intriguing, Shay. Shall we make this groupe?

message 16: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) Yes, yes we shall. Shall we discusse this over Goode Reads private messagese?

message 17: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Oh, moste certainlye.

message 18: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) Perhaps ye message thy firste? Thy must do a number of thingse fir thy mothere. *eye rolle*

message 19: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Mthinks thou art mistaken. 'Thy' refferres to another person, whome thou art talking to.

message 20: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) Thou art correcte. T'would 'ye' be the correcte term?

message 21: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) Once again, I inform thee with reluctance, thou hast made a mistake Grammatical. "T'would" serves as contraction for "it would," meseems.

message 22: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) How do thou know'th this?

message 23: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Helen hath read those linkes upp at the toppe, I would assume.

message 24: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) Indeed, I have not-- it hath long been my habit to indulge in such Frivolous Reading as Chaucer's Canterbury Tales and the Arthurian legends, whence I learned Proper English.

message 25: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Ah, a Sister in the Readings of Proper English? Indeed, I enjoy reading tayles such as "The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, in which the Olde Speake is used.

message 26: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) Thou have not reade such fine literature, and swear thou shall one of these coming days. But as for this momente, Thou choose'th to checke me maile and reply to Mags aboute the groupe.

message 27: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

*Palming of the Face* Shay, "thou" means "you" and "ye" means "y'all."

message 28: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) *palming of the face withe Mags* Terribly sorrye, Mags. I told you, I be no goode at this talkinge of Olde English ^^"

message 29: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

That is whye, Shay, I have a-posted those very helpful Links above. ^^

message 30: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) I thinke I shall go read those very helpfl Links nowe ^^ :)

message 31: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Aye, t'would be a Grand Idea.

message 32: by Shayla (last edited Dec 11, 2011 12:16PM) (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) Why did thou sayeth Grand Idea in capitale letters?

message 33: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Because, dearest Shay, the English Language back then was not as Refined as 'tis now, and thatte is whye Random words are Capitalised or have the Letter E attached to the end.

message 34: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) That maketh more Sense now. I art still tryinge to get a goode Enough grip on talkinge in Olde English.

message 35: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (last edited Dec 11, 2011 12:32PM) (new)

Put simply:

Thou = You (subject) = 'st endings (thou hast... thou dost...) = Thou art a pig!
Thee = You (object) = Sarah, get thee gone! Grace, I do love thee!
He/She = He/She = 'th endings (he hath... she doth...) = He hath too many freckles!
Ye = Y'all (subject) = All of ye shall rue this day!
You = Y'all (object) = The others shall beat you!

My cat (starts with consonant).
Mine apple (starts w/ vowel).
Thy trousers.
Thine apron.

message 36: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) I thinke it maketh slight more sense...

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Howe fare thee?

message 38: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

I fare well, thank'ee. And how fare thee? Fare thee well, I hope.

message 39: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) T'is 'How thee fare?' like sayinge 'How are you?'. I art confused with this notione.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I am splendid, thank'ee.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Aye, Shaye, t'is like sayinge 'How are you?'. Thou shalt not be confused withe this notione!

message 42: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

This Said Notion is explained right-quick: Many Olde English sentence structures switch around the words in syntax. "Farewell" cometh from "Fare thee well," literally meaning "go you well" which maketh no sense Todaye. Therefore, 'tis plain to see that sometimes, to make it sound better, the syntax is bechanged.

message 43: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) Not anymore, Amara! Thank'ee for comfirminge my questions. Then, wouldeth that make 'Aye' like 'Yes?'. ^^ I liketh my Name spelte as 'Shaye'.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I liketh it as well, Shaye.

message 45: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) :D-eth *laughing out loud* I be sorrye, but it was all too temptinge to trye!

message 46: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Aye, thou art moste correct, Shaye.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

T'was an amusing momente! XD-eth, indeed.

I quite liketh thate.

message 48: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylaalexander) Shall I calleth thee Mage, then?

message 49: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (last edited Dec 11, 2011 01:06PM) (new)

Mage, indeed!

O! I also have founde a few other tippes: In the case of words where thou wouldst like to use an 'e,' be sure to Double Up on consonants, like thou wouldst do when adding 'ed.' For example: Tip = Tippe, not Tipe. Rain = Rayne or Raine, ye ken? Or fly = flye.

O, and 'ye ken' meanes "thou knowest?" or "thou understand'st?"

message 50: by Ada (last edited Dec 11, 2011 01:11PM) (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) Aye, but tis broadest Yorkshire Dialect, scarce suited for the high-blooded Ladye.

« previous 1