Book Haven discussion

Kindle > Is it worth it?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (atkinshayley) | 5 comments So I've been considering getting a Kindle or some other kind of e-reader for a couple of months now. I just wanted to know if you all think it's worth a couple hundred dollars. I can see the benefit of having one, but I love my books and I'm not sure whether or not it's actually worth it.

message 2: by stormhawk (last edited Nov 14, 2011 12:48PM) (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments The Kindle is worth every single penny.

But you don't have to spend $100s of dollars. There are a lot of different models now available, and are quite affordable. If you want just an ereader, go for the Keyboard or Touch, if you want a tablet, the Fire releases tomorrow and is only $199

message 3: by Tori (new)

Tori (mommywonderland) | 1 comments Personally I don't think its worth it. Maybe for reading in the dark since it has light, but other than that. You have to factor in keeping it charged. Plus you can't drop one. If you drop a book you pick it back up. You dont have to keep a book charged. Plus it kinda takes the fun out of shopping for a book in a bookstore or library. I thought of getting one myself, but after making a pro and con list I will gladly take my old fashioned books.

message 4: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I have thousands of paper books.

And I have (as of tomorrow) four Kindles of various styles.

I love them all, but the convenience of the Kindle cannot be beat. The only one that I'm willing to part with is my DX, and even that's hard, because it's perfect for reading unconverted PDF files.

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) I got my first e-reader for Christmas in 2009. At first I was secretly horrified at the idea - I love my 'real' books.

And then I discovered all the books I could get, instantly, for free, from many different websites and I fell in love.

So in love I now have three e-readers. I still buy paper books, and love them too, but I love the convenience of being able to buy what I want, when I want, and having it instantly.

The portability is also a huge drawcard for me - no more holidays with a small carry-on bag jammed with books - and if I get bored of what I'm reading, I can change within 10 seconds.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy an expensive model first up - try a basic model and see if you like it first - then upgrade to all the bells and whistles if you think it's worthwhile. For example, I have a Sony Touch, but I never use the touch function for page turning, only for menu selection.

message 6: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) I didn't think I'd get an ereader for a long time. But as the print books take over my very small house-I decided to finally get one. I actually got mine for free by using my Amazon credit card pts. (I pay the bill off everymonth so those points didn't cost me any interest).

I made the decision after my library finally got Kindle books and Amazon started the Lending Library for Prime members (my Prime membership was also free with my credit card pts). It's only 1 book a month but it's a pretty extensive list. Before I committed though: I looked up many of my wish list books on paperbackswap to see what they were on Kindle. I found several that haven't been posted to PBS in years (not an exagerration-they literally hadn't had a single copy posted in 2+yrs-it shows the last posted date on the wish list)-anyway they had several of those on Kindle for under $5. I also found several of my paperback swap wish list books for free or .99.

I will probably remain primarily a print girl. I think most ebooks are way over priced. Why pay $7+ for an ebook you don't truly own, when the same book can be purchased used in print for $4 that you can trade, sell or donate it aftewards?

But I have to say it's really handy for reading at work. I am allowed to read at work. But print books can be awkward. If someone comes in the office it looks bad for me to be sitting there reading a romance novel. The kindle is small and just sits on my desk asleep until I want to read. I play games on paperbackswap. I have a book to mail for that this week. I was able to download a sample to my Kindle from work and read the first 2 chapters.

message 7: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) Also trolling for super cheap/freebie books for the Kindle is fulfilling my need to acquire new books. Without adding to the clutter in my house or really costing me anything. I've spend maybe $20 on ebooks but there's almost 80 on my Kindle. Not a single public domain free everywhere book either.

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) I bought a Sony ereader last Christmas, thinking that it would never replace my fave paperbacks and it would only serve to read a freebie or two every month. I was so wrong! I now read almost exclusively at it; I've read only 3 paperbacks in 3 months and the rest 15-20 were ebooks:) Now I can't imagine living without it and if it ever broke, I'd buy another one the next day.

Plus, like Mary says, it's VERY handy to have to carry only one ereader in your bag when travelling, instead of a case filled with paperbacks, as I used to.

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) I am an avid reader who can read a book in a couple of hours, I love spending time in the library and wondering who has read the books before me. My house it littered with apaerbacks much to my husbands horror! However I recently booked a holiday and whilst counting up the 6 books I would probably have to take to get me through the 10 day period my Mum suprised me with a Kindle. And I have to say it has completely taken over my life, I love it! I already have 1,700 books on there?! god knows when I going to read them all. But I find myself reading even more. It is so easy to now eat whilst reading or read whilst cooking without having to hold a book open and turn the pages....and I cant agree with Fani more if mine broke today I would be out tomorrow buying a new one :)

message 10: by Karen M (new)

Karen M I also thought I'd never want a Kindle. Well, when I started seeing all the free downloads and at the same time my TBR shelf was getting smaller I decided to go ahead and download the Kindle for PC App. Well, three weeks later I ordered a Kindle Touch which is due to arrive on Friday, HURRAH!

Try the Kindle for PC App first.

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) Or Kindle for iPod/iPhone if you have one.

Another thing about Kindle (if you are in the US), you can also lend and borrow books from other readers (there's already a few websites and lots of GR users participating in lending).

The downside is you can only lend a book once, but if the group of lenders continues to grow, that won't be such a biggie.

message 12: by Denise (new)

Denise | 6 comments I have a Kindle and a Kobo reader. I prefer the Kindle. I love that I can have a thousand books in my library and not have to store them or worry about them being destroyed while in storage, which did happen to me. Had to get rid of a major number of complete series I had been collecting for over ten years because the critters got into them.

message 13: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Stanton (hazels) | 8 comments I must say these views are very interesting. My family are all readers and of late my son has mentioned the kindle and I was toying with the idea of getting one for xmas. Now we all love books, the feel of the pages, the excitement of getting your latest author's offering and the whole stacking on shelves, which then start to over take your home..so I still a little reluctant to buy one since we all like the physicality of ownign actual books, Has anyone felt anmy loss after buying a Kindle etc?

message 14: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) Not at all. It opened up a whole new world to me - for example I just saw a book I wanted, and thirty seconds later it was on my kindle, ready to read. The samples are also really helpful, I find the 'look inside' function on Amazon isn't really that easy to read.

I still buy paperbooks if I really want them, or if I can't get them electronically. No rule to say you can't do both :)

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily (emily_meek) I've been an avid reader my entire life, and I bought the first Kindle years ago... I think it was 5 or 6 when it was first released. (I had one before Oprah thought it was cool), and I use it fairly regularly. I'd say it's split about 50/50 between my using it and reading a normal book, because the majority of my book shopping gets done at thrift stores where they're about 2 dollars each. For new releases that I really want to read, I use my Kindle, and in the long run it has saved me tons of money. I also use it often for books for my classes, being an English and History major a lot are available for free since they're copyright expired.

Basically, I feel it's a purchase you need to want to make, and if you're on the fence about it, you should learn more. I purchased the Kindle Fire (upgrade, yay!) and I can let you know how I feel about it after Christmas (when my mom's letting me open it.) Hope this helps!

message 16: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Stanton (hazels) | 8 comments thanks all

message 17: by Carolyn F. (last edited Nov 17, 2011 04:52PM) (new)

Carolyn F. One of my Goodfriends went to Best Buy where they have the Kindle, the Nook, the Sony e-reader, etc. all lined up and picked the Kindle because it was more user friendly. You might want to do that.

message 18: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (atkinshayley) | 5 comments Thanks guys! You helped a bunch :))

message 19: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lmsgro) When I see patients in the waiting room at work with a Kindle or Nook, I can't stop myself from asking their opinion. I haven't found anyone yet who doesn't love theirs! I am almost swayed, but I feel like I'd miss the feeling of accomplishment I get from flipping the pages and the classic "book smell"! :)

message 20: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. You'll never replace real books completely, but it's much easier to haul around. I'm going to load mine up for a vacation next year. I still buy a lot of real books - at least 10 a month but I'm also buying about 10 ebooks a month. It has helped me winnow what books I do have. If I don't love the books/authors/series, I don't keep them. If it's a new author, this gives me a taste without having to try and get rid of/make room for it later.

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily (emily_meek) Lindsay wrote: "the classic "book smell"! :)"

I think they should make a febreze with that scent.

message 22: by Karen M (new)

Karen M I just got my Kindle Touch yesterday and I love it already. Very easy to use, fast downloading books and easy on the eyes for reading. Right now I'm only downloading free ebooks so, yes, it is worth it!

message 23: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) Lindsay wrote: "...but I feel like I'd miss the feeling of accomplishment I get from flipping the pages and the classic "book smell"! "

It can't compete with the "book smell" but there is a little bar on the bottom of each "page" that fills up as you read and gives you a percentage. Talk about 'feeling of accomplishment'! I just got my Kindle a few weeks ago and I find myself peering at that bar every time I turn a page. lol!

message 24: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lmsgro) Ooh, I like the idea of the little bar at the bottom. You guys are slowly converting me...

Emily, I got goosebumps at the thought of Book Smell Febreze!

message 25: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Stanton (hazels) | 8 comments Emily wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "the classic "book smell"! :)"

I think they should make a febreze with that scent."

Brilliant idea!

message 26: by Deb (new)

Deb Danielson | 1 comments Made a lifestyle change a few years ago that involved selling our house (with lots of bookshelves) and becoming camp hosts at our local state park(which involves living in a 5th wheel camper.) Never thought I'd give up paper but have no room for hundreds of books. In searching for Kindle info I found goodreads yesterday. (It's my new playground.) I cant wait to get my Kindle!

message 27: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments it is a worthy purchase!