The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > G'day / goedemorgen!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) Hi all,

I'm Kat, an Aussie who's been living in the Netherlands for nearly 4 years now. I speak about 5 words in Dutch. Repeatedly :-D

I've always been a reader, right from when I was small. The only time I wasn't reading was when I first moved here as I couldn't get many English language books...then I got an e-book and was reborn!

I love zombie, post-apocalyptic/dystopic and horror books, but I'll read pretty much anything (except paranormal romance/fantasy. Baddies are supposed to be, well, bad!)

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10022 comments Mod
Hey Kat,
Welcome to the group.. and hooray for Zombie, Post-Apocalyptic fiction!!!

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) Thanks Lori! Really looking forward to getting more involved in this group.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark (slvrshmrk) | 92 comments Hey Kat! How hard was it to move to the Netherlands? I really want to move there too!

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) Hi Mark,

Moving here was easy - I got really lucky in getting a five year visa straight away and I didn't have to be 'assimilated' by doing all the language courses & exams.

Finding a job in my field was not so easy as it's a huge advantage to speak the native language. But especially in the IT / software devt. areas finding a job without speaking Dutch is very easy (Dutchie's don't tend to be techie types). There's lots of international companies with their European headquarters here so there's a lot of choice in most other areas too.

Culturally it's very different to Australia, and I'll always be grateful for the toughness this country has instilled in me, but sometimes I also get incredibly frustrated with peoples attitudes.

I don't live in Amsterdam - that place is a whole different ballgame!

Kat

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Burke | 10 comments Kat,

I lived in Amsterdam one year. What do you mean by "incredibly frustrated"?

Dutch is such an impossible language--like German being gargled.

I do love so many things about the Dutch, however, such as their devotion to the arts lifelong, not just as something you participate in in college and your 20s. I've been working on a memoir of our time there, which I hope to epub someday. Are their bookstores suffering from the economy/epublishing, like here in the U.S. and the U.K.?

Enjoy the wonderful holiday celebrations coming up! I will never get over the sight of St. Nick riding into central Amsterdam on his horse and the huge crowds of Dutch families so excited to see him.

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy (judygreeneyes) | 409 comments Hello Kat! Welcome! I'm also a big fan of Post-Apocalyptic fiction, along with most other sci-fi. I'm dying to visit both the Netherlands and Australia someday. I'm in sunny Southern California, where it is currently 60F (16C) at dinner time.