Around the World in Books discussion

Book Suggestions > December book suggestions - DENMARK

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Fletcher | 124 comments Mod
The country we will be reading from in December is Denmark.

Please let me know any Danish books (or books about or set in Denmark) that you would like added to the poll.

I will set the poll up on the 24th November, so it would be great if you could get your suggestions in by then.

message 2: by Chris (new)

Two books immediately spring to mind that I'd like to read:

1. By a famous Dane - The Complete Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales.

2. Shakespeare play Hamlet, Prince of Denmark.

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue | 14 comments No trip to Canada?
Suggest Number the Stars by Lois Lowry or Smilla's sense of Snow.
Not read either - but also wouldn't mind either of the ones you suggested Chris.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Hi Sue, we are rotating by letter of the alphabet now, so will have to wait a while for Canada I'm afraid!

Thanks for the suggestions - I know somebody who really likes Number the Stars, which is always a good sign.

Gotta love the top review in Smilla's Sense of Snow ... "Miss Smilla and her cast of characters were so quirky that after 100 pages I found all this quirk over the front of my shirt, all over the dining table (well, I call it a dining table) and stuck between the keys on my keyboard. Had to get it out with a Swiss Army knife, once it had dried."

(not to put anyone off or anything ;) )

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue | 14 comments we are rotating by letter of the alphabet now, so will have to wait a while for Canada I'm afraid!

no problem, just wondered! :)

message 6: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) I like the sound of The Boy in the Suitcase and The Keeper of Lost Causes. I've read Number the Stars and it was an interesting and easy read.

message 7: by Lara (new)

Lara (laradyane) I've always meant to read something of Karen Blixen's. She wrote Out of Africa, but maybe Babette's Feast and Other Anecdotes of Destiny would be a better fit for Denmark?

I've been meaning to read Number the Stars for ages as well...

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 179 comments Mod
Okay - okay so I think it might have been my idea a few countries back to skip countries once in a while so we would get through the alphabet.There I was walking home from work today thinking about some funny Canadian books we could read given the seriousness of the selections we've made lately. Does anyone have know of any books about the lighter side of life in Denmark?

message 9: by Chris (new)

Definately time for a lighter book (I made sure I was reading some Roald Dahl whilst reading about Cambodia to make sure I didn't get too depressed hehe).

I can't find any funny Danish books, but Tales of the Night by Peter Hoeg looks lighter. 8 unconnected short love stories all set on one night in 1929.

message 10: by Autumn (new)

Autumn Victor Borge published a memoir of sorts My Favorite Intermissions,. The book itself is not focused on Denmark but he is Danish so...?

I'm not sure the literary mentality in Denmark is necessarily humorous!

message 11: by Chris (new)

The poll is now live. Please vote at http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/57...

thanks

message 12: by Chris (new)

Poll's over .... the winner was Jussi Adler-Olsen's The Keeper of Lost Causes (a.k.a Mercy).

Discussion held here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...