Tudor History Lovers discussion

1534 Tudor Fiction Novel.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela Simmons (simplyangela) | 34 comments I am currently working on my first Tudor-themed novel set in 1534. While the publishers will not allow me to give out much of the plot, I can tell you that the novel is set in England in 1534 and told from the perspective of a member of the Kildares.

As many of you know, the events of 1534 forever changed the relationship between Ireland and England. Since I am writing my book from an Irish perspective, Henry’s reputation is becoming a bit tarnished as I am relying on historical documents to relay the sentiment of the era. Although I am trying to stay true to the Irish-sentiment regarding Henry VIII, it’s absolutely killing me to do so.

I know Henry was viewed as this atrocious tyrant in the eyes of the Irish especially during the mid 1530‘s, yet I don’t see him that way and writing him that way kind of makes me feel guilty. While I feel that story of the Kildare’s needs to be told, I feel as though I am doing a disserve to Henry VIII.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) You can clarify in your author's note that you don't share your characters' views of Henry VIII. And you can always write another novel where you give Henry's perspective!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I agree with Susan, Angela. If you make it clear that the book is PURPOSEFULLY told from the Irish perspective I think people will get it. As for me, I really love reading "the other side of the story" and that is sometimes hard to find!

message 4: by Marylou (new)

Marylou (loulu) | 164 comments hink aboutd the atrocities Henry did and you might changve your mind.

message 5: by Gregory (new)

Gregory House (greghouse) | 122 comments To Angela this sounds like a very intersting story, I'll keep an eye out for it. In one of my Red Ned novels to come out early next year one of my characters makes some mention of the Irish situation and the Earl of Kildare. Being english he is none too sympathetic to the Irish, mind you he also dislikes scots, northerners, French and Spaniards. I wish you the best of luck, the more Tudor books out there the better and I certainly look forward to reading it when the novel comes out.
Regards Greg

The Liberties of London
The Queen's Oranges
The Cardinal's Angels

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Bilyeau | 21 comments Angela:
I have the same challenge. My historical thrillers are set in the late 1530s and my protagonist is a novice in a priory. Joanna, my character, fiercely loves her life as a novice and she struggles to save the monasteries. So Henry VIII and Cromwell are opposing forces. To be true to my character and my story, they must be seen through her eyes.
Your book sounds very interesting! I look forward to it.