philosophy, psychology and other long words beginning with p. discussion

New book to read

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex | 8 comments Hi! I'm new in this site and I search a new book to read.. somebody whant to suggest me some books titles?! I search a book that talk about the uman mind!
ps: Sorry for the bad english..

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex | 8 comments who is the writer?!

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex | 8 comments thanks, but I have a little problem.. I'm italian, maybe the book isn't translate in my language becouse i can't found it.. :( do you know if it was translated?

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex | 8 comments I found many books of MALCOLM GLADWELL in italian language. What do you think about "The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference"?!
Well I don't have read many books.. I'm interested in psychology, sociology and filosophy,(in general I prefer books who help to think) but I don't know where start..

message 5: by Peg (new)

Peg Tittle (ptittle) | 12 comments Hi Alex, sorry, no, Shit that Pisses Me Off is only in English. (thanks Aleph and Nina for recommending it!!)

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex | 8 comments I have ordered "the tipping point" and "Blink", for a pair of mounth I'm ok ;)
Thanks you all for helping me choose, especially Nina who was very patient. :)

message 7: by Peg (new)

Peg Tittle (ptittle) | 12 comments Hm. Read what Pinker has to say about Gladwell. (I think it was Pinker. Something about all anecdote, mistaking correlation for causation through and through, no hard evidence, just faddy, ... )

message 8: by Nina (new)

Nina (luminolpdx) | 7 comments I've read all of Gladwell. Blink is about thin-slicing, v. near Ekmans lie detection work in theory. Gladwell strikes me as a well, poor writer, but beyond that I think Goleman has more to say on similar topics. Pinker makes me swoon, How the Mind Works is a must-read.

message 9: by Nina (new)

Nina (luminolpdx) | 7 comments in addition, keltners ucb lectures are free on itunes opencourseware, and worth a listen.

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex | 8 comments I had read and is very nice, worth it! however I start to read "the tipping point" and I found it a very interesting book..

message 11: by Jacob (new)

Jacob De | 2 comments I'm currently reading "Thinking, fast and slow" by Daniel Kahneman. If you're interested in all kinds of flaws which exist in human cognition, I would really recommend it!

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess (rappy18) | 1 comments One of my favorites, re-reading it right now.. The Myth of Sisyphus, Albert Camus

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bkbsmiles) | 134 comments Mod
Here is a post I did about a book on depression by Dr. Deb Serani
http://population-we.blogspot.com/201...

message 14: by Felix (new)

Felix Brambaifa (FelixBrambaifa) | 2 comments hi people, there is a book OF PHILOSOPHY on Amazon that is on free download now, THOUGHT:THE bASIC SUBSTANCE OF BEING, CHECK IT OUT, www.amazon.com/dp//B009QKSF5M.