Sirens Conference discussion

Local Events: New York

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ambrose (JenniferWriter) | 11 comments When: Monday, November 14, 2011 at 7 PM

Where: Books of Wonder, 18 West 18th Street, New York, NY 10011

What: NATIONAL BOOK AWARD NOMINEES Author Event

Who: Franny Billingsly! She will be joined by fellow nominees Debby Dahl Edwardson and Gary Schmidt

Entrance Fee: *Free*

Book: Chime by Franny Billingsly
My Name is Not Easy by Debby Dahl Edwardson
Okay for Now by Gary Schmidt

message 2: by thistle (new)

thistle (tigrey) | 10 comments Hi there--are these event threads really relevant to Sirens? Just wondering.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ambrose (JenniferWriter) | 11 comments Hi Thistle, I certainly think so. I like to think of Sirens as a community that continues to exist outside of the actual conference. By sharing upcoming book events, it gives people the opportunity to connect locally with others who share the same interests and to participate in the ongoing conversation of Sirens whether or not they can attend the convention each year.

But since you have asked the question, I guess you don't think it is relevant. This is something new I'm trying out. I encourage you to share more of your thoughts on how this might add or detract from the greater Sirens community.

message 4: by thistle (new)

thistle (tigrey) | 10 comments Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Jennifer. I agree about Sirens existing as a community beyond the annual conferences. I was thinking about the fact that many members of that community don't live near one another; that's why we have these online spaces, after all. Thus, though the events may be relevant to readers of fantasy, an event in Seattle or Boston doesn't matter much in practical terms to someone in Dallas, London, or Pretoria, and the announcements are just another thing to ignore.

This may be mild sour grapes due to the fact that I clicked through on the "new thread" e-mail notification expecting to find a book discussion, without paying attention to the thread's subject heading. :) I'd be interested to know what others think, if anyone else is reading this thread; mine is only one opinion.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ambrose (JenniferWriter) | 11 comments Thanks for sharing your thoughts, thistle. I agree, I hope lots of people join in the conversation and make their voices heard.

I also really hope that people share local events in different areas that might be of interest to the Sirens community. I know I started with the east coast since that's where I live, but everyone is welcome and encouraged to join in.

Let's get the conversations going!!

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie Nolan (monstrousfictions) I'm not local to NYC really, but I also like the idea of people advertising local book events here. A lot of people are spread apart, but there are pockets of people in similar areas, and it's always fun to see Sirens people outside of Sirens.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ambrose (JenniferWriter) | 11 comments Katie, if you want to share events closer to you, please feel free to start a new thread! Or send them to me and I'll do it. I too love any chance to see Sirens people outside of Sirens.

message 8: by Shveta (last edited Nov 17, 2011 10:50AM) (new)

Shveta Thakrar (shveta-thakrar) | 5 comments I wonder if we could have a separate thread on Goodreads for events? Like thistle, I'd actually prefer to keep this one for book-related talk.

message 9: by Guenevere (new)

Guenevere | 2 comments I know there's some debate about using this group to post/discuss events, so my apologies to those who are uninterested in this sort of thing, but for those who are interested the New Jersey Council of Teachers of English (NJCTE) is having its Spring conference March 31st at Montclair State University, and I thought some of you NYC area people might want to check it out. Sheila Kohler, Gayle Forman, and Neil Baldwin will be there, and there will be book giveaways and all attendees are entered in a raffle to win a Nook. If you're interested, there are details at www.njcte.com