The Sword and Laser discussion

Latest Hunger Games Trailer (not the teaser trailer)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (last edited Nov 14, 2011 06:55PM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments http://io9.com/5859221/new-hunger-gam...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/li...

Finally shows a bit of what the world will look like. Effie for some reason is dressed like a 80 year old.

message 2: by JP (new)

JP Capili (jpcapili) | 37 comments The trailer is awesome. I can't wait! The red dress that Katniss is wearing... is that the "girl on fire" costume? If so, I was expecting it to be more glamorous.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (kovaelin) | 30 comments John Paul wrote: "The trailer is awesome. I can't wait! The red dress that Katniss is wearing... is that the "girl on fire" costume? If so, I was expecting it to be more glamorous."
What dress? I didn't see any flames. I'll have to watch it again.

message 4: by JP (new)

JP Capili (jpcapili) | 37 comments ah.. the red dress was her interview costume.. the 'girl on fire' costume can be seen 1:32 into the trailer... right before the scene with a magnifying glass.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Bergman (loonyboi) | 166 comments I think Effie looks spot-on. The only person who looks weird is Cenna. Not digging Lenny Kravitz in that role.

But pretty much everything else is perfect.

message 6: by JP (new)

JP Capili (jpcapili) | 37 comments Jason wrote: "I think Effie looks spot-on. The only person who looks weird is Cenna. Not digging Lenny Kravitz in that role.

But pretty much everything else is perfect."

I don't like Heimlich's hair. I thought he had darker hair.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments In really wan't looking forward to this, but now I think it might be a little bit awesome.

message 8: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Jason wrote: " The only person who looks weird is Cenna. Not digging Lenny Kravitz in that role."

I never did understand everyone's opposition to Kravitz being cast. I think he'll be great in the role.

message 9: by JP (new)

JP Capili (jpcapili) | 37 comments Nick wrote: "I never did understand everyone's opposition to Kravitz being cast. I think he'll be great in the..."

Yes. I'm okay with Kravitz too. He's a great, not-over-the-top actor, and could pull off some dramatic roles. Have you seen Push? I think that's the name of the Sapphire book made into movie. He was great in it, even for a small role.

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Kate wrote: "In really wan't looking forward to this, but now I think it might be a little bit awesome."

Yeah I agree, I thought it was looking pretty good.

message 11: by Nick (last edited Nov 14, 2011 02:09PM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments http://io9.com/5859347/everything-you...

A bunch of still images from the trailer. Read the slide captions, they point out a few interesting things.

message 12: by Don (new)

Don McDonald (dmmacs) | 114 comments Looks better than the teaser trailer. Definitely plan to see this when it comes out. I agree that Heimlich's hair doesn't fit my image but I think Woody can play a good drunk.

message 13: by Remington (new)

Remington | 38 comments I didn't care that much for the book but I think I might check this out. Looks promising.

message 14: by Walter (new)

Walter (walterwoods) | 144 comments This seems like a real tossup. I can see it going either way. Fingers crossed though.

message 15: by JP (new)

JP Capili (jpcapili) | 37 comments Walter wrote: "This seems like a real tossup. I can see it going either way. Fingers crossed though."

and this is also the weakest book among the 3 in my opinion.

message 16: by Mitchell (new)

Mitchell (mitchbones) I find it funny that the trailer came out the day after I finished the book! Totally forgot there was a movie in the making for it. I felt that the movie sort of spoiled the first half of the movie, especially the "drawing" which was sort of a dramatic moment. The trailer didn't do anything for me really, I feel like it could have been better and I cannot tell if the movie will be good or bad.

message 17: by Linguana (new)

Linguana | 148 comments @Mitchell: Well, it's not like you don't know Katniss is gonna be in the Hunger Games. That's the whole basis of the story with her as protagonist. So I don't think anything was spoiled, really.

I am not very impressed by the trailer but I think the movie's got potential. We'll see. I was a much bigger fan of book 2 anyways.

message 18: by Mitchell (last edited Nov 15, 2011 04:17AM) (new)

Mitchell (mitchbones) Linguana wrote: "@Mitchell: Well, it's not like you don't know Katniss is gonna be in the Hunger Games. That's the whole basis of the story with her as protagonist. So I don't think anything was spoiled, really.

I..."

Some spoilers, that are already divulged in the trailer

You assume she will be in the hunger games since she is the protagonist yes, but I remember reading that when Prim was chosen I was like "holy shit, what's gonna happen?!" but the trailer shows her volunteering and taking her place and I think ruins that emotional moment since the viewer now knows it will happen.

message 19: by Soragon (new)

Soragon I've never read the books but this really, really makes me want to.

message 20: by Linguana (new)

Linguana | 148 comments Mitchell wrote:.."but I remember reading that when Prim was chosen I was like "holy shit, what's gonna happen?!"

Yeah, you are right about that. I'm not sure now, but I think the German text on the back of the book might even already spoil that. But it's true, this takes the air out of the moment.

message 21: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Yeah the back of the english book I have gives it away;

"... When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. ..."

..but I hear what you are saying.

message 22: by Mitchell (new)

Mitchell (mitchbones) Andrew wrote: "Yeah the back of the english book I have gives it away;

"... When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. ..."

....."

Maybe I'm just a stickler, but I try not to read the backs of books anymore. I accidentally picked up the third book of the mistborn trilogy instead of the second and it totally ruined a lot for me :( Ever since then I just go off of people's amazon reviews.

message 23: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Mitchell wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Yeah the back of the english book I have gives it away;

"... When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sen..."

Even some of those reviews you need to be careful with. I do totally understand though, I tend to be similar with movies not wanting to know anything going in (beyond whether it's worth my time/$ in the first place).

Bummer about mistborn. I'm trying to recall the book but I've done that with a series before as well, though thankful I recall being more confused than anything.

message 24: by A.J. (new)

A.J. (ajbobo) | 72 comments I haven't read this book yet, but I am now sold on the movie. Looks good.

message 25: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2454 comments Looks pretty good so far, but then again a lot of movie trailers turn out to be better than the finished product. We will have to wait and see. Now, if Quentin Tarantino was producing it might really get my attention :)

message 26: by Andrew (last edited Nov 17, 2011 09:55PM) (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments @Andrew: he (Tarantino) produced anything interesting lately?

message 27: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Mabe (beckegirl) | 26 comments Looks great! I'm excited and not so anxious now even though all the actors look like they have been cast by the WB.

message 28: by JP (new)

JP Capili (jpcapili) | 37 comments It's CW now.

message 29: by Eric (new)

Eric (ericbooth) | 24 comments Looks awesome. All I know is these kids better get dirty because when I read these books everyone was filthy. Kinda looks like district 12 was a little too clean.