Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Nicola Marsh
This topic is about Nicola Marsh
Ask An Author, Win A Book Corner > AC: Nicola Marsh of Busted In Bollywood (January 10 - January 12)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Nov 14, 2011 06:29AM) (new)

Fran | 10930 comments Nicola Marsh, a Romance author; will be joining us for a Q&A and book giveaway on January 10- January 12, 2012.

Meet Nicola:
USA TODAY bestselling Aussie author Nicola worked as a physiotherapist for thirteen years before she tired of saying "I'm going to write a book one day" and actually did it. She started writing late 2001 and found once she started she couldn't stop!

Nicola currently writes for Harlequin Mills and Boon Romance and Modern Heat/Presents series, has published 30 books and sold over 3 million copies worldwide.
She also has a mainstream contemporary romance release coming in Dec 11: 'Busted in Bollywood', 'Sex and the City' meets 'Eat, Pray, Love', from Entangled Publishing.

Also a Waldenbooks and Bookscan bestseller, she has finalled in several awards including the prestigious HOLT (Honoring Outstanding Literary Talent), Booksellers' Best, Golden Quill, Laurel Wreath, More than Magic and won several CataRomance Reviewers' Choice Awards.

Nicola loves the hip, vibrant, cosmopolitan vibe of her home city, Melbourne, where she's set the bulk of her novels, highlighting fabulous cultural and food havens like Acland Street (St. Kilda), Brunswick Street (Fitzroy) and Lygon Street (Carlton).

When she's not writing she's busy raising her two little heroes, sharing fine food with family and friends, cheering on her beloved North Melbourne Kangaroos footy team or her favourite past time, curling up with a good book.

Books: Sex, Gossip and Rock & Roll (Presents Extra) by Nicola Marsh Girl in a Vintage Dress (Harlequin Romance) by Nicola Marsh Marriage For Business or Pleasure? (Harlequin Presents, #2898) by Nicola Marsh Princess Australia (Harlequin Romance) by Nicola Marsh Her Bad, Bad Boss by Nicola Marsh Overtime in the Boss's Bed (Presents Extra) by Nicola Marsh Executive Mother-To-Be (Harlequin Romance, #4008) by Nicola Marsh The Billionaire's Baby (Harlequin Romance) by Nicola Marsh The Boss's Bedroom Agenda (Harlequin Presents) by Nicola Marsh Three Times a Bridesmaid... (Harlequin Romance #4173) by Nicola Marsh Tag Team by Nicola Marsh Mistress To The Tycoon by Nicola Marsh The Desert Prince's Proposal (Harlequin Romance) by Nicola Marsh Purchased for Pleasure (Modern Romance Series Extra) by Nicola Marsh Impossibly Pregnant (Harlequin Romance) by Nicola Marsh Deserted Island, Dreamy Ex! (Harlequin Romance) by Nicola Marsh Busted in Bollywood by Nicola Marsh Two Weeks in the Magnate's Bed (Harlequin Presents) by Nicola Marsh Hot Nights with a Playboy 0 (Modern Heat) by Nicola Marsh A Trip with the Tycoon (Harlequin Romance) by Nicola Marsh The Wedding Contract (Harlequin Romance) by Nicola Marsh Wife And Mother Wanted (Harlequin Romance) by Nicola Marsh Found His Family (Silhouette Romance) by Nicola Marsh Hired By Mr. Right (Harlequin Romance) by Nicola Marsh Interview with the Daredevil (Harlequin Presents Extra #187) by Nicola Marsh Inherited Baby (Harlequin Romance, #3926) by Nicola Marsh Contract to Marry (Nine To Five #754) by Nicola Marsh Two-Week Mistress (Modern Romance Series Extra) (Modern Romance Series Extra) by Nicola Marsh

Giveaway: Nicola will be giving away 1 copy of her lastest release Busted in Bollywood. Winner's choice of either a print copy (open to U.S./Canada only) or an ebook copy (open to everyone).

message 2: by Jonell (new)

Jonell Cash (jonellkirbycash) | 2 comments My complements to you on fulfilling your passion.

Jonell

message 3: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 649 comments What pushed you to finally take the leap from saying "I want to write a book" to actually writing it?

message 4: by June (new)

June What character is most like you?

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 1 comments Did you get an agent or just send your manuscript in? How long did it take to hear back from them?

message 6: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (selana) what an interesting career change... congratulations on making it work

message 7: by Juliana (new)

Juliana (julianabrian) | 2 comments Who inspire you to write? What was the craziest or funniest moment happened when you're in progress of writing?

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahdonald) What book or author first inspired you to have a go at writing your own book? Do you get embarrassed regarding 'intimate scenes' and having your readers read them, knowing you have 'dreamt' them up?

message 9: by Dragana (new)

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) I see that Busted in Bollywood is set in Mumbai/New York. Did you ever visit those cities, or is your book based only on research?

Your bio says that you a lot of your novels are set in your home city - Melbourne. Did you find it more challenging to write about different country/culture?

message 10: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Jonell Kirby wrote: "My complements to you on fulfilling your passion.

Jonell"

Thanks Jonell, I still pinch myself I get to write for a living these days, I love it!

message 11: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Nicola wrote: "What pushed you to finally take the leap from saying "I want to write a book" to actually writing it?"

Hi Nicola (seems weird to be writing what I sign off with!)
I think I got tired of saying 'I'll write a book one day' and thought if I don't actually give it a go, I'd never know if I could do it. I remember telling my hubby and he had an incredulous goofy grin on his face, like 'what are you thinking?!' Needless to say he's supportive now :)

message 12: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) June wrote: "What character is most like you?"

Wow, that's a toughie, June!
I'd like to think there's a little of me in all my characters...I like to write modern, strong heroines who know what they want and aren't afraid to go out there and grab it with both hands!

message 13: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Heather wrote: "Did you get an agent or just send your manuscript in? How long did it take to hear back from them?"

You don't need an agent to submit to Harlequin Mills and Boon, Heather. I subbed without one. They rejected my first partial but sent really positive feedback asking to see if I had anything else. Sent them the partial of what turned out to be my first book...had a request for a the full a few months later, then 4 months later got 'the call'!'

message 14: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Yvonne wrote: "what an interesting career change... congratulations on making it work"

Thanks Yvonne! I think some of my physio buddies are still in shock, it's such a big career change. Interestingly, I went to a physio reunion last year and people I hadn't seen in years were fascinated. I felt like an exhibit in an exotic zoo!

message 15: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Juliana wrote: "Who inspire you to write? What was the craziest or funniest moment happened when you're in progress of writing?"

I've always had a passion for writing, Juliana, initially fostered by my high school English teacher who was absolutely brilliant! She encouraged me for years and I'll never forget her. Craziest moment is every time a box of my books arrives and I sit down to read, not quite believing I actually wrote it!

message 16: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Sarah wrote: "What book or author first inspired you to have a go at writing your own book? Do you get embarrassed regarding 'intimate scenes' and having your readers read them, knowing you have 'dreamt' them up?"

Enid Blyton's books inspired me to write as a child, Sarah, and later Agatha Christie.
No embarrassment regarding 'intimate scenes', as it's all fiction :) Though I do feel a little funny knowing my mum and Nan read them!

message 17: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Dragana wrote: "I see that Busted in Bollywood is set in Mumbai/New York. Did you ever visit those cities, or is your book based only on research?

Your bio says that you a lot of your novels are s..."

Sadly I haven't visited Mumbai or NYC, two cities I'd love to visit! Busted in Bollywood is based on research, via the Internet, and interviewing family and friends. It was definitely more challenging writing this book because of the amount of research hours...I spent a LOT of time researching!

message 18: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10930 comments Welcome Nicola, it's a pleasure to have you with us!

I hope you enjoy your time with our members; and good luck to you all!

GUIDELINES FOR AUTHOR AND PARTICIPANTS: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

Members, if you can please write the questions in bold; it would be easier for her to know that you have asked a questions and less chance that it will be missed. Thanks!

message 19: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10930 comments If you don't know how to bold, cut and paste the following (and remove the !)

- at the beginning
- at the end

message 20: by Nicola (last edited Jan 10, 2012 06:42AM) (new)

Nicola | 649 comments Nicola wrote: "Dragana wrote: "I see that Busted in Bollywood is set in Mumbai/New York. Did you ever visit those cities, or is your book based only on research?

Your bio says that you a lot of..."

Not having been to any of those places what inspired you to write about them?( sorry, I haven't read the book yet, the answer may be in there)

message 21: by Dragana (new)

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) Nicola wrote: "Sadly I haven't visited Mumbai or NYC, two cities I'd love to visit! Busted in Bollywood is based on research, via the Internet, and interviewing family and friends. It was definitely more challenging writing this book because of the amount of research hours...I spent a LOT of time researching! "

I am sorry to hear that. I hope you will have a chance to visit them soon. :)
My husband has been to both of these cities, thanks to his job & work trips, and he says they are amazing. I will definitely read Busted in Bollywood when I manage to get my hands on it. I love to read about India.
Do you have any other books set in India or some other oriental countries?

message 22: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Reynolds (goodreadscomelylibrarysec) | 49 comments Does your cooking style ever appear in any of your books?

message 23: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Hi Nicola, welcome.

You have an impressive number of published books in only 10 years. Start to finish, about how long does it usually take you to write a book?

message 24: by Desiree (new)

Desiree reilly (desitheblonde) | 37 comments hi well i love the book cover you have do you use the same one and then do the cover come after your have
a reviewer read the book or do you do the book and then they deiced on the cover of the book
then the other question when you do one book do you ever think it will go to series or just one book

message 25: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Fran wrote: " Welcome Nicola, it's a pleasure to have you with us!

I hope you enjoy your time with our members; and good luck to you all!

GUIDELINES FOR AUTHOR AND PARTICIPANTS: http://www.goodreads.com..."

Thanks for the welcome, Fran, it's great to be here!

message 26: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Nicola wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Dragana wrote: "I see that Busted in Bollywood is set in Mumbai/New York. Did you ever visit those cities, or is your book based only on research?

Your bio says that..."

My dad got me hooked on Bollywood movies a few years ago, Dragana, and the magic, mayhem, colour and romance instantly captivated me. I thought 'wouldn't it be great to capture some of that in a book?' and Busted in Bollywood was born!

message 27: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Dragana wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Sadly I haven't visited Mumbai or NYC, two cities I'd love to visit! Busted in Bollywood is based on research, via the Internet, and interviewing family and friends. It was definitel..."

Yes, I have a category romance A TRIP WITH THE TYCOON set in India (on the Palace of Wheels train travelling through Rajasthan). This is one of my favourite books I've written.
A Trip with the Tycoon
A Trip with the Tycoon (Harlequin Romance) by Nicola Marsh

message 28: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Desiree wrote: "hi well i love the book cover you have do you use the same one and then do the cover come after your have
a reviewer read the book or do you do the book and then they deiced on the cover ..."

Hi Desiree, I write the book first and the publisher chooses the cover later. With a standalone book versus a series, I originally wrote Busted in Bollywood as a standalone book with no sequels in mind. Then one night recently I was flipping through an Indian cookbook and the sequel popped into my head! I'd love to write it one day...!

message 29: by Nicola (last edited Jan 10, 2012 03:04PM) (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Lynn wrote: " Does your cooking style ever appear in any of your books? "

I love to cook, Lynn, and like to include food in most of my books!
As most of the reviewers have said, BUSTED IN BOLLYWOOD left them starving & craving Indian food, and I've posted recipes for dishes in the book on my blog http://www.nicolamarsh.blogspot.com/p... I'm a huge food lover and think it adds richness to a story.

message 30: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Iris wrote: "Hi Nicola, welcome.

You have an impressive number of published books in only 10 years. Start to finish, about how long does it usually take you to write a book?"

Great question, Iris, but difficult to answer as every book is different. My Mills & Boon category romances roughly take 4-6 weeks. Crazily, I wrote BUSTED IN BOLLYWOOD in a month, but revised it many times after that!

message 31: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Reynolds (goodreadscomelylibrarysec) | 49 comments Is there any type of genre that you do not think you will ever attempt to write?

message 32: by Literary (new)

Literary  Chanteuse Would you ever write a book about India in a historical setting and story?

message 33: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Of all the many books you've written, who would you say are your favorite characters?

message 34: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Lynn wrote: " Is there any type of genre that you do not think you will ever attempt to write? "

I doubt I'd ever write horror, Lynn. I want to sleep at night ;)

message 35: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Margaret wrote: "Would you ever write a book about India in a historical setting and story?"

I think historicals are incredibly hard to write, Margaret, with an immense amount of research to get the details right, so at this stage I can't see myself doing it. But never say never, right? :)

message 36: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Iris wrote: "Of all the many books you've written, who would you say are your favorite characters?"

This is always a doozy of a question to answer, Iris, but I'll give it a go. My personal favourite characters I've written would be, in no particular order: Amber from The Wedding Contract (an aromatherapist theme park operator), Beth from The Boss's Bedroom Agenda (a stand-in museum curator) Charli from Sex, Gossip, Rock & Roll (PR whiz for an Aussie music company) and Anjali from Busted in Bollywood (she's the aunt and steals the show!)

message 37: by Nicola (last edited Jan 11, 2012 05:10AM) (new)

Nicola | 649 comments Do you base many (any) of the characters on yourself? Or even close friends or family? Or do you try to create a completely unique character in your stories?

message 38: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Nicola wrote: "Do you base many (any) of the characters on yourself? Or even close friends or family? Or do you try to create a completely unique character in your stories?"

Oddly enough, Nicola, I couldn't imagine basing characters on anyone I know. Would feel too weird! I prefer to use my imagination & create characters from scratch

message 39: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10930 comments Good Morning Nicola!

I recently read Deserted Island, Dreamy Ex! and enjoyed it. I am a sucker for a second-chances story :)

My library just obtained the ebook version of Girl in a Vintage Dress and I'm reading it now. I'm 30% in and it's really good. I really like Lola. I am not that familiar with some Australian terminology...

What is a hen party? It seems like it is going to be something like a bachelorette party would be in the U.S., but not held at a strip club, dance club, or something like that.

message 40: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Fran wrote: "Good Morning Nicola!

I recently read Deserted Island, Dreamy Ex! and enjoyed it. I am a sucker for a second-chances story :)

My library just obtained the ebook version of [book..."

So glad you enjoyed Deserted Island Dreamy Ex, Fran. I love reunion stories too, so much fun to write! And Lola is a heroine I had a ball with too.
Now, onto the Aussie-isms...yes, hen's party same as bachelorette party. Can be held at any of those venues you mentioned or anywhere at all :)
1am here, I'll be back later today!

message 41: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Did you always know you wanted to be a writer? And what made you decide to finally go ahead and write your first book?

message 42: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 649 comments To add to the last question from Iris
Do you have any recommendations for others who are thinking about writing?

message 43: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10930 comments Nicola,

I just finished Girl in a Vintage Dress (Harlequin Romance) by Nicola Marsh and I really enjoyed it! A feel- good, sweet love story. Lola is such a likable person, I was rooting for her HEA.

Can you tell us a little about the heroine in Busted in Bollywood?

message 44: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Iris wrote: "Did you always know you wanted to be a writer? And what made you decide to finally go ahead and write your first book?"

I always wanted to write from a young age, Iris. I constantly wrote stories and kept a diary all through my teens into my early 20s! I got sidetracked into the health industry after doing a work experience stint at a rehab hospital when I was 15. Until then, I wanted to do journalism (writing!)

I finally decided to go ahead and write my first book one day at work (I was working full time as a physiotherapist at the time). I'd been a physio for 13 years and while loved it, it became energy sapping. I wanted to do something different and thought 'what have a I got to lose? Time to write that book I'd always been talking about?'
So I did :)

message 45: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Nicola wrote: "To add to the last question from Iris
Do you have any recommendations for others who are thinking about writing?"

My recommendations: to stop procrastinating and just do it. Write daily. Write as much as you can. If you're targeting a certain genre, read widely in that genre. Write anything, let your creativity flow, that will help find your voice. 'How-to' books are great but you can get bogged down in technicalities when you're starting out. Same with many resources on the Net.
The best thing is to just sit down, open up a blank page, and do it! The more you write, the easier it becomes.

message 46: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Fran wrote: "Nicola,

I just finished Girl in a Vintage Dress (Harlequin Romance) by Nicola Marsh and I really enjoyed it! A feel- good, sweet love story. Lola is such a likable person, I was rooting for her HEA.

Can you..."

Thanks Fran, glad you enjoyed Girl in a Vintage Dress. Another one of my personal favourites :)
Shari Jones in BUSTED IN BOLLYWOOD is a woman at the crossroads in her life.
She's 29, has just come out of a relationship where she got duped by a married guy and is angry at herself for being so foolish. When she has the chance to travel to Mumbai (albeit in a crazy scheme where she's impersonating her best friend to get her out of an arranged marriage) she sees it as a chance at a fresh start.
Half Indian herself, Shari has grown up in NYC and doesn't know much about her heritage. Being in Mumbai changes all that and when she returns to NYC she's better equipped to handle her new life-which is filled with chaos!
Shari goes on a journey of self-discovery and she's much stronger by the end of the book for it. I love her, and her zany sense of humour!

message 47: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10930 comments Sounds great Nicola, looking forward to reading it :) I love when the story has humor in it. It's always fun and refreshing to read about a heroine that can laugh at herself and her situation.

message 48: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh (nicola_marsh) Fran wrote: "Sounds great Nicola, looking forward to reading it :) I love when the story has humor in it. It's always fun and refreshing to read about a heroine that can laugh at herself and her situation."

thanks Fran, if you love humor you'll enjoy Busted in Bollywood, it's packed with laughs!

message 49: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Nicola, do you feel you work best under a deadline or when you're free to let the story take it's time?

message 50: by Nicola (last edited Jan 12, 2012 02:12PM) (new)

Nicola | 649 comments Hi Nicola,
Thanks, I am really enjoying hearing your thoughts and ideas. I was wondering, since you write your books in a what seems to me to be a relatively short period of time:
When writing do you completly block everything out for a short period of time and resurface when you are finished, or do you write a bit each day, treating it more like a job with "office hours"?

« previous 1