Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > anyone read Deborah Crombie?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7899 comments I just came across a link for this series featuring Scotland Yard Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and his assistant Gemma James. It's comparison to PD James makes me want to take it on. Anyone else read these, and what do you think?

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1199 comments Hi Carol,

I do really like the series though must admit I have fallen a bit behind recently. I would compare her more to Elizabeth George (though much less wordy) since she is an American writing British police procedurals. Just FYI since I know you are a RIO, the first book A Share in Death was, by far, the weakest in the series for me. I think she really hit her stride by the third book and the fifth, Dreaming of the Bones, was excellent.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Carol, I've managed to read the first 8 books in the series. There has only been one so far that I didn't care for and that was A Finer End. The rest of them have been really good ;)

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7899 comments Thanks guys. I've got A Share in Death on request. I'm always up for a new British police procedural series.

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellenrt) | 18 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I just came across a link for this series featuring Scotland Yard Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and his assistant Gemma James. It's comparison to PD James makes me want to take it on. Anyone else..."
I have read them all, and really like them, but don't think I would compare them to PD James. James is a lot more complex, and although I loved all of her books, I have always found them hard to start-once in can't put them down. Crombie's are a lot easier reads.

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7899 comments Thanks, Ellen. I love PD James but I also like them easier to read. These sound a little more like Elizabeth George, like someone already said. I have the first in the series waiting to be picked up at the library

Ellen wrote: "I have read them all, and really like them, but don't think I would compare them to PD James. James is a lot more complex, and although I loved all of her books, I have always found them hard to start-once in can't put them down. Crombie's are a lot easier reads. ..."