Rated YA-MA discussion

Book Chat > What Are Your Reading Habits?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Nov 13, 2011 10:37PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes?

Do you normally read late at night, during your lunch break, etc?

Do you tend to read a bunch of one type of book until you get sick of it, then switch, or are you constantly mixing it up?

Do you read in spurts, where you find yourself reading several books in a short period of time, then burn out? Or do you find yourself pretty consistent in your reading patterns?

Do you read on an ereader, borrow from the library, or purchase your books?

message 2: by Wendy F (last edited Nov 14, 2011 07:34AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments I read on all my lunch breaks, for sure. Then it's harder to read at home because of my daughter and her needy father, but I try to steal moments when I can. I always take a book to the bathroom. My husband teases me because I'll sit in there for 15 minutes, squeezing in one more chapter. Then I read for half hour or so right before I go to sleep. But heaven help my life if I'm close to the end because I won't do ANYTHING until I finish it. It's funny because it's like my husband has a sixth sense. He'll always manage to walk through the front door right in my very last chapter! drives me insane!

I jump around genre's. I don't like to read the same genre or style back to back (generally) because I hate to have similar books competing with each other. If I loved a dystopian then I don't want to read another one right away because it'll either be better, and I'm not ready for something better. or it'll be worse and I'll be ticked.

When I was younger I read in spurts. I'd read 20 books back to back and then not read much for a year. But now that I'm older I pretty much read consistently. I get in about 2 (sometimes 3) books a week.

I have about the same number of print books that I do ebooks that I actually want to read. I have 394 books on my kindle, but of those I've only read or want to read 220. I have 239 books in print. (funny you ask this because I just counted them last night because I'm manic about my books.) I never borrow from the library because I hate returning good books.

message 3: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Reading is my only hobby so I read whenever I find a spare moment - during my commute and during my lunch hour I read on my iPad, but I listen to audiobooks at work when I'm doing something mindless or when I'm exercising or even walking down the streets (I've learned I'm risking my life trying to read an actual book while walking about in NYC!) I only read at home though when my husband is otherwise engaged. Whenever I'm reading, he just cannot leave me alone. Drives me nuts!

I read almost every genre. If somebody recommends me a book, I give it a try, no matter the genre. Like Wendy, I seldom read the same genre back to back...I feel I need a breather!

Since I found GR, I read all the time. If I find myself with free time where I can read a lot, then I get burned out and need to stop for a while. But no more than 2 or 3 days.

I read mostly on my iPad or listen to audiobooks. I belong to 3 libraries with an amazing ebook/audio selection and they have around 70% of the books I get recommended so I don't buy as much. I have less than 60 print books (recently I traded all those I could find as ebook in the library) but if my library doesn't have the ebook or audio, I'm just buying the ebook. It's just easier that way.

Next year I'll try to read all the print books I can get rid of them. I seldom re-read so I don't mind giving books away.

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 828 comments I read whenever I feel like and have time. Although I will try to get any school assignments out of way so I can have a block of time to read if I want to.

During the week most of my reading takes place at school during my breaks, or in the car on the way there and back. I'll also get some reading in before bed. I rarely read in the morning, but sometimes I just want to finish the book I'm on so I'll read at any time I can!

I do tend to read a lot of paranormal, but not so much that I get sick of it. I do mix other genres in a lot.

I'm a pretty constant reader. I read a bit just about every day, but sometimes I go a day without reading anything, then I'm excited to get back to my book.

I read almost exclusively on my Kindle these days, but I do like to mix in a paper book every now and then. I try to avoid buying books if I can, and thankfully my library has a pretty great selection of ebooks and paper books. :)

message 5: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments During the day/evening, I read if I have a minute and am in the mood for it (provided that I'm not distracted by the internets or family or something). And I make time to read most nights, once it is quiet and I can do so in peace.

I wouldn't say that I have to switch the genres up, nor that I read in genre spurts. Sometimes I read a different type of book every time, and sometimes I get on a specific genre kick and read several in a row. But I am the type of person who, if I start a series, will usually read the whole thing back to back if all of the books are out, unless other reading obligations get in the way of that.

I read pretty consistently. Sometimes I do get burnt out on reading for a few days or a week or two, so I do other things for a while. Usually this happens after I finish a series or book and just want time to let it sit in my mind without moving on to something else too soon. Harry Potter, for example.

I prefer to buy my books because I like having a home library. I have a mixture of paper books and ebooks. Hardcover books are my preference. If they're only available in paperback, or if they're really thick/heavy epic fantasies, etc., then I get them in ebook. Usually.

message 6: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Nov 14, 2011 02:42PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I do most of my reading before bed. I try to allow myself at least an hour to read before trying to sleep, but it often goes longer because I'm an insomniac. Usually, there isn't much chance to read during the day because my house is hectic (my escape usually involves ducking into the computer room, throwing on some music headphones, and surfing the net for a little while), but if I do end up reading at all, it will occur when my husband is watching an early evening t.v. show that I'm not interested in. I used to complain when he put on MMA, but not anymore. I just pull out my ereader.

My reading patterns are strange. Sometimes I'll read one type of genre, then switch to another and keep doing this for a little while. Other periods of time, I'll find myself on a theme (right now it's train wrecks/movie stars/rock stars) and read several books with that theme until I'm ready to find something else. Other times I'll find myself needing to detach from YA and stick to adult for a while, then after I'm sick of adult, I completely glut myself on YA and books which are quicker reads. I tried for the longest time to keep to a 50/50 adult and YA, but haven't been successful with it lately.

In 2010, most of my books came from the library. In 2011, the majority of my books are now on my ereader, whether the books are gallies, loaners, freebies, or obtained from elsewhere...uh, yeah. I rarely buy a hardback or paperback anymore, unless it's either one in a series I've already started in print, or if it's one of my all time favorite books that I want to own in print. Shelf and storage space is practically nonexistent in my house, so e-readers have been a lifesaver for me.

message 7: by Leea (new)

Leea | 325 comments Reading is what I live for... Yeah the kids and husband are great (haha!) but I've always been a reader and I can't imagine my life without the world that books let me live in.

I read whenever I get the chance. My kids have 'quiet time' so I read then, my favorite is when I've got both the kids in school and I can read and drink coffee all by myself - Yahoo!! Mostly I read after dinner while my husband takes the kids outside to play.

I tend to bunch my genres up... all YA, HR, PNR or whatever. Then I get burnt out and switch. I should mix it up and not get burnt out but i'm a sucker for a buddy/group read because I'm such a social person.

I used to love getting books from the Library, then in April (happy birthday to me :) I got my Nook and I feel in love and have not gone back. Now I can't even read a paper book... i'm spoiled!

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 358 comments The only time I consistently read every day is my lunch break. It's not uncommon for me to read at night or on a lazy weekend morning, and if I'm into a book, I'll read it all evening.

Right now, I read physical books from the library almost exclusively. (Keep in mind that I work at a library AND I'm the one who orders the teen books!) I've told my husband I want an ereader for Christmas. I miss audio books but have only a tape deck in my car, so I'm looking forward to being able to listen to audio books again when we get a new car. (My husband laughs every time I tell him that's what I am looking forward to most about a new car. Never mind it being reliable and not making funny noises, I want audiobooks!)

I read a pretty big range of genres. I read pretty exclusively YA, with the occasional kid's chapter book or grown-up book thrown in. (And craft books, but that seems to be its own catagory.) If I'm listening to an audio book, I try to have it and my physical book be different genres.

I've been trying to avoid series lately because there are so many books I want to read (and it's hard to keep up with you guys!) that I don't want to commit to a lot of the same in a row.

message 9: by Cortez_jk (new)

Cortez_jk i can finish a book in 2 days if im really into it. but if the story doesnt grip me i could be reading it for months.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

My reading habits are all over the place.

most times I read whenever I can (always try to sneak in some chapters at one of my jobs), I can pretty much read anywhere I totally zone out when reading so noise and people dont bother me (much to my mothers dismay while trying to get my attention) like Syntax I can finish a book in just a couple of days if I get really sucked in (have even taken days off to read books).

I usually read more then one book because quite often my mood can change and therefore I can read a different book to my mood...I usually have one big fantasy book going that might take a while and then one or two other easier reads on the side.

at the moment I have slowed to just one book has having two jobs has just got a touch hetic.

I try to borrow my books as much as possible but usually I cant help my self and I have to buy them (huge library sale tomorrow....cant wait :D)

pretty much I would usually rather be reading then anything else...I'm sure I would be a recluse if I could

message 11: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I have really enjoyed reading your posts on this topic. Interesting stuff!

Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes? I have always been an avid reader, since around 2nd grade -- that is my earliest memory. Even in college, grad school and law school when I had so much else to read I would find time to add other books. Maybe high school was when I read the least, more focused on socializing and boys. :) When I started working after law school I immediately had a train commute and that is when I started the habit of reading twice a day on the train and at lunch. That was in the fall of 2001. I always have books and back up books since then. When I got my kindle in the fall of 2009, I started reading while I nursed my last baby to sleep. And that began my habit of reading after I put my kids to bed. Now I read during my commute, my lunch hour and before I go to bed. I started listening to audio books during part of my commute (walking to the train, exercising, and walking to my office from the train), around 2004/05 I think. Now, though, in addition to commuting and exercising, if I am in the car by myself, doing mindless tasks at work, and mindless tasks at home -- I am listening to an audio book.

Oops, I guess I answered this one above!

Do you tend to read a bunch of one type of book until you get sick of it, then switch, or are you constantly mixing it up?
I mix it up. I have a huge range of books I like -- classics, literary fiction, award winners, science fiction, fantasy, urban fantasy, historical, non fiction, sociological, urban fantasy, dystopian, horror, post-apocalyptic, erotica -- and if done well romance, historical romance, romantic suspense and PNR. I can't stand memoirs though. I just can't do them. So I get bored easily and frustrated with cliches in genres, so I will mix genres up. But it isn't a formula, I just know when I am ready for something else.

Do you read in spurts, where you find yourself reading several books in a short period of time, then burn out? Or do you find yourself pretty consistent in your reading patterns?
I am consistent. I read about 2-3 hours a day.

Right now I only read on my ereader -- although these books include books purchased, borrowed from the library, friends, and other manners. If a book is not available in ebook format, I will wait for it to be available in ebook format -- with some exceptions. I also listen to books on my iPhone, most are borrowed through overdrive, some are borrowed CD books uploaded, and very few are purchased through audible.com. Before fall of 2009, most of my books were either checked out from the library or bought from amazon or at a book store near my office. I typically got what was displayed or caught my eye, was recommended to me by real life friends, or was a new publication by a favorite author. Most of these books were literary fiction, non fiction (political or parenting), and sometimes fantasy.

I buy less books now than I did before, although now I do not hesitate to buy my favorites. Probably b/c I know I can check out mostly what I want in ebook format from the library.

message 12: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 93 comments My reading habits, is based on my free time...

message 13: by N.B. (new)

N.B. Dixon I've always got a book on the go. I read whenever I have the time but I especially love to read at night. Often I go to bed ridiculously early and read for hours. Once I discover a genre I like, I tend to devour every book in that genre I can get my hands on. I purchase my books but I also borrow from the library sometimes too. If I go anywhere that involves me staying over night, I have to have a book with me. Even if I don't get to read it, it's a comfort to know it's there. I've been known to read while travelling, but I prefer to be curled up in bed where it's nice and peaceful and god help anyone who disturbs me!

message 14: by Stacie (new)

Stacie  (stack-i-e) | 299 comments My reading habits are all over the place. I jump from genre to genre easily. My randomness is not just through books, I do it with tv shows and movies as well, lol. But I seem to prefer action/fantasy and humor. Over the past year or two I haven't read much but now with the libraries and hopefully an actual kindle that I'm asking for as a christmas gift (not just the app on my computer), I'll get some more reading in. Especially since you can still get library books and lend books to others through the kindle! Usually I read whenever I have time, usually after work and before class. And recently this new job pays me just to be here, hence why I am on this site before lunch time. But if the book gets me hooked I will forgo sleep until its finished!

message 15: by Cortez_jk (new)

Cortez_jk Melanie wrote: "My reading habits are all over the place.

most times I read whenever I can (always try to sneak in some chapters at one of my jobs), I can pretty much read anywhere I totally zone out when reading..."

im like that as well. check out bookmooch.com to trade books. i do it all the time. my library doesnt have book sales very often, more like once a year

message 16: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Stacie wrote: "And recently this new job pays me just to be here, hence why I am on this site before lunch time..."

I'm curious about this job now!

message 17: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments I'm all over the place...all I know, is that I have to keep reading. =)

message 18: by Stacie (new)

Stacie  (stack-i-e) | 299 comments I work in the audit or cash room at a zoo. So once all the bags are counted and the paperwork is done, I'm free to do whatever. But since its a secured area, someone needs to be here for petty cash, change, or other misc. items. And since its winter here, there we aren't busy and I'm free for over half my shift.

message 19: by Nola (new)

Nola Lightman (nola_lightman) I read whenever and wherever I can. And I do mean WHEREVER, if you get my drift. My schedule is really hectic, so I have to seize whatever free time I have to squeeze in a chapter or two of reading. Not to mention, I'm usually reading two books at a time.

message 20: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 76 comments I guess the only time I set aside for reading is at night. My days are all over the place so some days I can read a bit, and some I can't. At night I always read before bed. Sometimes if it is later it is only 20 mins but usually it is on hour or three. Once I feel tired I put on whatever audiobook I am listening to and within half an hour I am usually asleep (this is a new development, I never used to be able to fall asleep).

Throughout the day if I am driving, cleaning, or working doing labels/filling etc, I listen to audiobooks. Since I am self employed and can usually work around my schedule, I have been known to get up in the morning, do some of my routine, and then go back to bed for an hour or so to read (if it is a really good book). But it is random.

Also, if it is a book I am obsessed over, I have been known to actually book off and even bribe my husband to watch the kids for a whole weekend (or wed-fri depending on the release). I have done that with the last few Wheel of Time books, last two Potters, and Breaking Dawn. Basically, I got the book on release day (or midnight if available) and spend the next two-3 days reading non-stop. People that know me know not to disturb me. I lock myself away in my room and only eat occasionally, totally engrossed in my book. :)

I usually read 2-3 books at once, but not in the same genre. So if I am listening to a epic fantasy I will read a YA contemporary or an adult UF. But sometimes I will read a bunch of YA fantasy or YA contemporary romance in a row, but I am always reading something else along with it.

I read every day, but some days if I have more time I will binge read, and then only read small amounts for a few days after (usually because I am busy catching up with work).

I used to purchase most of my books, and I LOVED to see them on my shelves. But I started to realize how much waste it was to buy DT books. I have been known to borrow heavily from my library, but now I mainly borrow digital books. I buy and borrow mostly ebooks now. I still buy my very favourite books/series in hardcover, but it is very rare now. I have had 3 ereaders and still have my nook touch and nook color, and even though I thought a reader could never replace a real book, I really don't like holding a real book anymore. I am so lazy now!

message 21: by Samantha (last edited Nov 21, 2011 02:14PM) (new)

Samantha | 178 comments Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes? Both. If I'm reading a book I need to finish (for a challenge or buddy read) and can't drag on, I set time aside. Otherwise I read when the mood strikes me.

Do you normally read late at night, during your lunch break, etc? Normally before I go to bed, almost never during a lunch break because I hate short short snippets of time. If it's a good book, I don't want to have to worry about heading back into work. Blegh!

Do you tend to read a bunch of one type of book until you get sick of it, then switch, or are you constantly mixing it up? Mix-up all the way, although there are times I'm only in the mood for certain genres.

Do you read in spurts, where you find yourself reading several books in a short period of time, then burn out? Or do you find yourself pretty consistent in your reading patterns? Mostly one at a time at all times, I like to give each book their own time and space. When I do feel burnt out it can get bad, like this month I've only read 4 books. 4! Normally, I read 10-12 every month consistently.

Do you read on an ereader, borrow from the library, or purchase your books? All of the above. Paper and ebook from the library, purchased ebook and paper. Anyway I can get it, lol!

message 22: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Nov 21, 2011 02:18PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Carrie (Care) wrote: "I really don't like holding a real book anymore. I am so lazy now!..."

I completely understand! After reading for over a year on an ereader, I find it hard to switch back, especially if the book is a large hardback. I'm used to one-handed reading, and being able to prop my reader up on something while I lay on my side. Reading an actual book requires me to have to prop it open and often use two hands, otherwise I get a hand cramp.

There are the die-hard paper readers who love the feel and smell of a book, but I guess I'm not that nostalgic. I just want to read. Although, it's nice to have some of the favorite books and ones with beautiful covers in print form, just to have that feeling of "ownership."

message 23: by Jen (at last!) (last edited Nov 22, 2011 06:17PM) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 204 comments Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes? I read as the mood strike, but if I'm obsessed with a book I'll read every free minute.

Do you normally read late at night, during your lunch break, etc? I read late at night, in the morning and especially during my hour lunch break.

Do you tend to read a bunch of one type of book until you get sick of it, then switch, or are you constantly mixing it up? I have to mix it up or I WILL get sick of a particular genre. I never get tired of historical, though...

Do you read in spurts, where you find yourself reading several books in a short period of time, then burn out? Or do you find yourself pretty consistent in your reading patterns? I only burn out if I can't find anything that draws me. I'm pretty consistent in my reading. I'm always reading SOMETHING...

Do you read on an ereader, borrow from the library, or purchase your books? All of the above. My favorite format is still paper book. I like the smell and feel so my favorites/keepers are always paper books. Books I'm unsure of I'll borrow from the library and freebies I tend to get on ereader.

message 24: by Rachael (pagesofpiper) (last edited Nov 28, 2011 01:25AM) (new)

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes? Do you normally read late at night, during your lunch break, etc?
I read on lunch breaks and before I sleep. Very rarely read in the mornings. On my days off I try to set a time to read.

I read whatever book I pick up next. Sometimes I have to be in a mood for a heavy going book, I prefer light reading.

I usually read a book a week. Only on holiday do I read more!

Borrow from the library. It's important to support your local library! I do have a kindle where I can read books on offer etc... but mostly I support my local library.

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  D. I read at lunch, before going to sleep, when waiting at doctor's appointments, basically whenever I can! I read pretty much all the time, especially on my days off. If I read something good in a series, I may go through the rest if the series before moving on. Usually, I am just racing to keep up with my hold list at the library. Working in Collection Development for my library district can be both a blessing and a curse! I read a lot of library books and advance reader copies (that'd be the blessing!). I do buy books, but those are mostly series or authos that I like. I have recently started reading ebooks, although I am still more partial to print books. Netgalley has been giving my iPad a workout, though, so the scales may soon tip.

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6 comments I generally read in the evening after my youngest two kids go to bed but while sometimes read at other times of the day if they are occupied. I prefer real books to e-books but read a few that are e-book only format. I have my favorite genres and try to rotate through them with each book. For example, I'll read a star wars book, the one of the left behind series, then a zombie book, then a YA book, then back to star wars.

I like to buy books and have a reasonable sized personal library of my favorites but will pick up books from the library too (especially those that I don't know I'll want to keep). I like reading books multiple times if I enjoy them (usually read the harry potter series once a year, generally when a new movie comes out). I also listen to a lot of audiobooks. I drive a half-hour one way to work so it lets me get through a lot of books in a short time while I focus my reading time on other novels.

message 27: by Faith (new)

Faith McKay (faithmckay) | 5 comments Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes? I spend pretty much every evening reading, so I suppose I set aside time for it.

Do you normally read late at night, during your lunch break, etc? I mostly read in the evenings, but I bring my kindle everywhere so whenever I'm waiting at an office or something I'll read.

Do you tend to read a bunch of one type of book until you get sick of it, then switch, or are you constantly mixing it up? I mix it up. Even though I mostly read fantasy, I switch between young adult, urban, and epic. If I just read an urban fantasy novel, it's very unlikely I'll read another immediately after.

Do you read in spurts, where you find yourself reading several books in a short period of time, then burn out? Or do you find yourself pretty consistent in your reading patterns? I'm fairly consistent, but if I get sucked into something particularly amazing I'll find time and read through it faster. Also, I'm chronically ill, so there are times when I'm in bed for a week with nothing to do but read, so it seems like I'm less consistent some times... but in my average day to day, it's all about the same.

Do you read on an ereader, borrow from the library, or purchase your books? All, but mostly on my kindle these days. I travel full time. I read a lot of comics and graphic novels though, which I mostly just buy. My kindle has really been life changing, as funny as that sounds.

message 28: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Bumping an old topic. I'd love to see what some of our newer members have to say.

message 29: by Andria (new)

Andria | 7 comments I read all the time and roughly have 4-6 books started at any one time. My family says that I swallow books because I read so quickly. They don't seem to understand that I can't seem to slow down. I have so many books started because I never know what I might be interested in reading at any given time. Purses are chosen on the basis of whether a book or device with a book on it will fit inside.

message 30: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 9 comments What a fun discussion. I'm glad it got bumped! :-)

Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes?
When I was a child, my punishment for misbehaving was to have my books taken away. I read whenever I am not doing something else - and I often have to consciously choose to be "an adult" and do other things/be social when I'd rather be reading! I read before bed, if I wake up middle of the night and can't get back to sleep, and if I wake up before my alarm in the morning, I'll roll over and read for a while, instead of dozing off for those last few alice-in-wonderland half-awake dreams. If anything, I've only started reading MORE since I got my kindle.

Yes. :-) Before bed, before getting up, on breaks, while dinner is cooking, while watching tv, while "contemplating" in WC, while in line, while knitting/crocheting if the pattern is repetitive enough... If I'm not actively being social with another person or involved in some physical task (cleaning, exercising, driving, etc.), I'm reading.

It varies. Often when I finish one book, I browse titles until something catches my eye. Other times, I'll deep end in an author, series, or genre until sated. And sometimes it kind of mixes. At the moment, I'm on book 6 of a series that I started this month for a challenge, and am reading them just as fast as they come in at the library. I tend to stay in the same genres, though - scifi&fantasy of any/all subgenres, adult & YA, with some Jane Austen & friends tossed in on occasion for some seasoning. I tend to venture out of genre only when someone I trust recommends something to me.

Pretty consistent. The oddity is when I *don't* read. Which is usually a good indicator that I'm coming down with something.

Since getting my Kindle for a birthday gift a couple of years ago, I've been pretty exclusively reading ebooks. The advent of library lending support for Kindle has been a real treat. I read probably 50-50 library and purchases.

message 31: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes? Do you normally read late at night, during your lunch break, etc?
I don't set aside time, I just read whenever the mood strikes me. I get most of my reading done at bedtime.

I try to keep a good mix of books so I don't burn out on any one type.

I'm fairly consistent in that I'm usually always reading something. Sometimes I have more time to read than others. I try to get it at least 6 books a month.

All of the above.

message 32: by Roberta R. (Offbeat YA) (last edited Jan 29, 2013 01:29AM) (new)

Roberta R. (Offbeat YA) (offbeat-ya) Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes?
I usually read in the late evening, before I go to bed or when I am in bed. Sometimes I sneak a chapter or two in the morning, before I start on the housework ;). When I'm not at work, that is.

Late at night sometimes - if I have a new, exciting book on my hands that I can't wait to finish!

Constantly mixing it up.

Consistent, like many of my fellow readers seem to be :). Also, I always read one book at a time.

No ereader. I always purchase books - want to keep them! Of course, I try to buy books that I'm fairly sure I'll like LOL. I was more impulsive once...and had a couple of not-nice surprises.

message 33: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I like actual books the best but I do also have an e-reader which I like because I don't feel that I need to have a physical copy of all books. I find that e-books can be very cost effective as well. My newest obsession is audiobooks because I can listen to them while I drive and while I am knitting!

message 34: by Eager (new)

Eager Reader (TheEagerReader) | 3 comments 1.) I read all the time...well, as much as I can.

2.) Late at night - I have little kids and I read after everyone's asleep. I read during nap time too.

3.) mix it up.

4.) Consistent

5.) Kindle app for iPad.

message 35: by R.A. (new)

R.A. Desilets | 375 comments I read whenever I can. When I was pursuing my degree in college, I didn't read that much because I was so busy with reading for school that I lost the ability to read for pleasure. Though, I somehow always found myself in the library fiction stacks, thinking about all the books I could read...

Once I fell in love with reading again - and realized how dramatically it was improving my own writing - I started to read whenever I could. 15 minute breaks, lunch break, at night, after I get home for work. Reading replaced the television.

Mix it up - but I definitely go on binges with certain genres. When I got back into reading, Dystopian was all I read for a few months.

I'm always reading two books at once - one on my ereader, and one in paperback/hardcover. The ereader is on my phone, so I can take it wherever I go - the physical books are for my longer breaks at work or curling up in bed.

As an indie author, I try to support other indie authors by purchasing their books. But, I borrow from the library a lot. That being said, if I fall in love with an author, indie or not, I'll make a point to buy their new series or next book to support them. Often, I'll wait for sales because I lack money to purchase all the books - but I sometimes catch myself spending entirely too much on books (is there really such a thing?). The physical books I own that I haven't read outweighs those I have... And for some reason, I still borrow from the library - hmm...

message 36: by Niel (new)

Niel | 273 comments I read when I can. I use to not read at all so now I read whenever I can unless I'm in a slump which happens often.

If it's a good book I will stay up late to finish it, if I have around 100 pages left. I usually wait until early morning or around late evening to read during the week.

As most people, who have been in this group awhile, can tell I read almost exclusively fantasy books. I do read other genres but they have to capture my interest quickly.

I read a lot of books at once and burn out. I try not to but it happens so much to me. This year I probably won't since I will be so busy with classes.

I borrow from the library at the moment. I use to buy all my books. When I first started reading, regularly, I had so many books that I hadn't read growing up that I never borrowed or bought any books

message 37: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela Well, first of all, ever since I learned to read I was reading something. I honestly can't remember a time in my childhood when there wasn't a book on my bed with a bookmark on it, so naturally my reading changed a lot during the years.

Right now, I'm reading quite a lot but not as much as I used to. Back in July last year I decided the career path I was starting wasn't for me so I dropped most of my classes and I read on my long hours of free time (I think from July to December I read a little over a 100 books). Now I've cut my reading in half, though I'll probably have to cut it back a little more when college starts again in March.

I normally read every chance I get, except on the bus because I get dizzy, and all throughout the day.

I like pretty much every genre within Young Adult and Adult and I normally mix it up.

Most of the books I like I can't buy on my bookstores nor borrow from the library so mostly I read on my Kindle and buy online. But I love paperbacks so I have my classics and a few others on bookshelves.

message 38: by Angie (new)

Angie | 1 comments I try to read during the day before 9:30 pm because if I read after 9:30 pm I start to feel sleepy.

I usually want to read when there is free time.

message 39: by Dainty (new)

Dainty (daintyness) I read whenever I feel like it. Mostly during the day if time permits and before bed. I recently gave into ebooks, so if I ever come across a not so good book, I'm not too upset for spending so much money on something I didn't even like. Plus, I can borrow some from my local library's digital collection for free. So far, I'm on a reading streak since I've gotten many recommendations on this site.

message 40: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 3 comments I read whenever I can. I am a wife and mother of two small kids so during the day If I get to read I get interrupted a lot. I mostly read at night in bed when my husband is watching tv. I have perfected zoning background noise out so I can read. I will read anything though I prefer paranormal fiction. I don't have to switch up genres but I do like to read the whole series through if all the books are out. I prefer physical books over ebooks but I do have both. I am always looking for more books to add to my collection. I do borrow from the library if I'm not sure about a series. If I know I'll like it I'll buy it. I do get burnt out if I read a long series but that's only for a day or two and then I'm back at it.

message 41: by Magda Żmijan (new)

Magda Żmijan | 61 comments Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes?

I love reading, but when I'm home I usually spend time with my PC rather than a book :) That's because I like games, movies, tv-shows and basically everything you can find in the internet :P
There are those moments when I find a really good book that I just can't stop reading and then I forget about computer... for a while.

I mostly read on my way to work: walking to the train, on station, in the train etc. There are also audio books - these I listen to at work mostly :) when I have some 'mindless' task to do or when I just want to forget about everyone around me.

Sometimes I go to bed 'earlier' (which usually mean round 23:00) to read for a while. Since I'm the kind of person who tends to fall asleep over a book, even if it's interesting, this kind of reading ends rather fast ;)

I never actually thought about this, but I guess I do tend to read books of the same type or theme.
During some longer home breaks (long weekends, illness, Christmas) I usually do some manga reading - it's easier to read on big screen rather than kindle.
At the beginning of the year I had Alice in Wonderland phase. It started from original book, some manga's and finally Gears of Wonderland (that one was good!!)
Now I'm in a middle of Norse mythology - started with Loki, then I've chosen some random book to listen to at work and it happened to be Witches of East End. Not particularly good one, but what was my surprise when I found out it was also about Norse gods :D
I can only guess what will be next.

I almost always read during journey to and from work - that's pretty constant. But when it goes to reading home - it comes and goes.

What would I do without my Kindle :) It makes life of a book lover so much easier, lighter and cheaper.
But I do love paper books. The smell, the sound, the feel of a cover. And no, I'm not the kind of person who likes old library books. I love the smell of new books, I love to be the first person who opens it.

I also like buying books. Just like some people enjoy buying clothes I like going through book shops online or 'offline' and check what I would like to read.

When it goes to eBooks I usually search for promotions and some freebies to try out new author or series. Luckily I'm not bound to my home language. There are so many books I would miss if I were bound myself only to polish.

message 42: by Sandra (last edited Feb 05, 2013 01:49PM) (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes?
- Nope. I'm addicted so I have to have my dosis every single day. No mood strikes.

- I read everyday while commuting (1h20min) to work. At home I need some minutes before getting sleep but I only read beyond 12PM if I'm really hooked. In that case I'll probably will set aside a couple hours in the evening and certainly at the weekends.

- Always mixing up.

- My library hardly has YA books, less in English. So I started purchasing in bookstores and soon at Amazon. Last year I got my Kindle and I don't buy paperbacks anymore.

message 43: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 114 comments Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes?
I'm more of a mix. I generally read more at night or on weekends and I have recently started listening to audiobooks on longer drives. If I have a library book due soon or a challenge I'm trying to finish I tend to make time for reading but if it's something more for fun I read when I feel like it.

More at night if I can, though it can be hard when my SO is home and wants attention. He also has that uncanny skill of getting home right as I'm almost done. I have been known to read during the day at work.

I can read a bunch of the same or alternate every book. If I'm really engrossed in a series and have access to multiple books I will generally tear through them.

I do not have a pattern. With the exception of when I have library books due and I have not finished them yet. But I rarely read multiple books at a time. I used to, but I found it difficult to remember where I was or what was happening so now I try finish one before starting a new one.

I do all three. If I can and am unsure of a book I try get it from the library first. If I really like I will buy a physical copy for myself. If I like it enough that I'd like to own it I generally try pick up the ebook version. And I am a sucker for kindle sales. I had to stop reading the free kindle books of the day newsletters because I kept buying everything.

message 44: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 38 comments Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes?
- Nowadays I read almost all the time when I'm not busy. And when I am busy, I continue to think about the book I am currently reading (provided it is a good book).

- I usually read once I hop into bed before I sleep, but then end up reading all night and finishing it at 4 am if I don't have work the following day. I feel less distracted at nighttime and can get into the story fully.

- I try to switch it up but I like to finish a series first before starting a new one.

- I am pretty consistent in my reading pattern. I can read through books in one sitting and usually take a few days break when I finish a series I loved before starting a new one (book hangover).

- I have done all three, but currently I am reading on a kindle. Later on I plan to purchase hardcovers of all my favorite books for my future library, like Beauty and the Beast or like Barrons' Books & Baubles :P

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes? I read as the mood strikes, but sometimes during my busier days I need to set aside an hour or so before bed to get at least one chapter done.

Do you normally read late at night, during your lunch break, etc? I read every chance I get. I carry a book around in my bag, and whenever I can, I pull it out and read a page or two. I read just before bed, during my breaks at work, with my coffee in the morning, and then with my after-work cup of tea.

Do you tend to read a bunch of one type of book until you get sick of it, then switch, or are you constantly mixing it up? Yes. I will read similar genres until I tire of them, then I start a new genre.

Do you read in spurts, where you find yourself reading several books in a short period of time, then burn out? Or do you find yourself pretty consistent in your reading patterns? I think I'm pretty consistent. It's very rare that I don't have at least one book on the go.

Do you read on an ereader, borrow from the library, or purchase your books? All of them. I read on an eReader whenever I travel, I borrow from the library whenever something catches my eye, and I purchase a book every time I pass a bookstore! ;)

message 46: by Mugzy (new)

Mugzy (mugzys) | 22 comments Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes?
Both. I read any chance I get. Riding in the car, walking, breaks, mornings, night. If a book is good enough I'll even read between bites at meals or just skip them altogether

If the book is good I will stay up all night to finish and not feel a twinge of regret the next day!

Usually I read the same thing but every now and then I'll switch it up.

I'm very consistent, there is never a time when I'm not reading something!

I used to only purchase my books but now I'm strictly on an e-reader.

message 47: by Amber (last edited Sep 08, 2015 09:39AM) (new)

Amber (amberm867) Are you the type of person who sets aside time for reading, or do you read as the mood strikes?
- I set aside time for reading. I read on my lunch break at work and usually for 30 min - 1 hr before I go to sleep. But with a new baby, it's hard - sometimes I'm too tired.

- haha - I didn't realize this was the next question. See above.

- I mix it up between a few genres. Right now, I'm reading Brisingr, but I'm also perusing some baby books and before Brisingr I re-read Garden Spells and next I'm going to read a cozy mystery (A Cookbook Conspiracy). So, Fantasy YA, chick-lit, research, and cozy mysteries. Sometimes I throw in something random (usually for a reading challenge) but those are my fav genres.

I ready pretty consistently. Lately I'll go through spurts of I'm too tired to read, but that only last a day or so.

- I purchase most of my physical books, but I do borrow some here and there (research books and audio books, books I'm not sure I want to own). I have never and will never buy an ebook - I can't justify the purchase of a non-physical book. If I like it enough I'll buy the hardcopy. However, I do borrow ebooks from my library. I typically read them on my phone, but I also have a Kindle.