Russian Readers Club discussion

Too good not to pass on - enjoy!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Oksana (new)

Oksana | 19 comments Made me laugh... Thank you!

message 3: by Margarita (new)

Margarita (goodreadscomneedlesandherbs) | 45 comments I thought it was right on!

message 4: by John (new)

John | 30 comments First, it's not that funny.
Second, most of the readers here do not speak Russian.

message 5: by Margarita (new)

Margarita (goodreadscomneedlesandherbs) | 45 comments First, I didn't say it was funny - but I thought it was well written and sharp.. anyhow it is such a small issue... Second, I have always been a firm believer that reading in the original language enhances one's literary experience, also contributing to one's appreciation of quality literary translation - same goes for English, Russian, German, etc. In fact, a fair number of folks in this group do read Russian, and/or want to be encouraged to do so. In short, there is something for everyone - variety is key here :)

message 6: by Sergey (new)

Sergey (sergeybp) | 18 comments I don't see what's the problem if someone shares a link to a *funny* piece in Russian about Russian writer among members of the Russian Readers group.

message 7: by John (new)

John | 30 comments Sergey wrote: "I don't see what's the problem if someone shares a link to a *funny* piece in Russian about Russian writer among members of the Russian Readers group."

Nothing, it is just arrogant, like speaking Russian in a company where some people don't speak the language. And yes, Russians do it all the time, as opposed to most other ethnic groups, and I am always embarrassed by that.

message 8: by Margarita (new)

Margarita (goodreadscomneedlesandherbs) | 45 comments I have to admit you lost me here - I thought the whole point of this group was to promote Russian lit in the original language, as well as issues in literary tranlslation. I know for a fact that many members reside in Russia and may not speak/read English, and therefore, I apologize for my rudeness in posting this comment in the *English* language. As an example, in the French lit group that I also belong to all posts are in French, and it appears to be perfectly the point, to everyone's satisfaction! I definitely did not mean to offend. In the US, many so-called "ethnic" groups are bilingual and resort to various languages all the time, and it is not offensive to anyone. (I know some still consider bilingualism and multilingualism "arrogant", but I think it is a bit outmoded.) Not that the US pop culture in general is a model of high manners, but that is not the issue, in my opinion. The goal is to promote the subject matter in all related ways, not to police the language of expression...

message 9: by John (new)

John | 30 comments When you were little, you were probably taught that it is rude to whisper to your friends in public. If you have a secret, you tell it between four eyes, or you speak in such a way that everybody present can make it out.

This is the same thing. It has nothing to do with respect to multilingualism, it has only to do with elementary respect to others. In my place of work (in the U.S.), we have international workforce, but it is unimaginable that, say, two Greeks will be conversing in Greek at lunch with the rest of the group sharing the same table.

Now regarding "many members in Russia". There are ample opportunities to discuss Russian literature in Russian among Russians. If you need references, I can refer you to several discussion groups. *This* group is for people who are interested in Russian literature, but who are not Russian speakers themselves. Our role as Russians is to help them in this endeavor, not to transform this group into another Russian-to-Russian chat.

Note that our English speaking friends will not stand up against such rudeness. They will tell you that, no, no, feel yourself at home to do anything you want, talk in any language you want. They will just leave, eventually, as it happened at some other internet forums. I am Russian, which means that, if I want to, I can be naturally arrogant, just as you, therefore I stand up to you and say that your position is wrong.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna (anna3101) | 5 comments And who is being arrogant here? People were just having a normal conversation until you stepped in and announced that giving a link to a site in Russian is actually - wow - wrong to do!

I also work in a multinational environment and somehow neither French, nor Italian are very preoccupied with speaking English which is supposed to be our company's official language. What's more, their attitude - rude as it may seem - is actually helping other people to learn French and Italian. I would never dream of judging them for wanting to keep their language alive and speak it!

message 11: by Grozny (new)

Grozny | 13 comments > *This* group is for people who are interested in Russian literature, but who are not Russian speakers themselves.
--

Said who?

Ваня, подите попарьтесь в бане. Давайте вы не будете говорить кому что делать - и вас тогда никто никуда не пошлёт.

message 12: by John (new)

John | 30 comments Grozny wrote: "> *This* group is for people who are interested in Russian literature, but who are not Russian speakers themselves.
--

Said who?

I just said - there are dozens of forums for Russian speaking book lovers, and only one for English speakers who likes to talk about Russian authors. Yet there is an urge to come overand spoil it.

Ваня, подите попарьтесь в бане. Давайте вы не будете говорить ком..."

Узнаю брата по крови. На мат скоро переходить будете? До чего мне надоело это вечное российское на просторах интернета...

message 13: by Grozny (new)

Grozny | 13 comments >only one for English speakers who likes to talk about Russian authors.
--
Well, when I go to french literature formus, I'm putting up with french and the same goes with germans or spaniards when discussing Goethe or Borjes. And you know - I don't mind. Why english speakers on russian forum has to be treated any different? It's not that hard to learn a foreign language - we did it. Besides, they could always ask and no doubt many russians will be happy to explain. And certainly I don't buy that rare posts on russian would spoil anything to anyone.

Брянские леса вам мерещатся - я кровь с вами не делил. Надоело в трубах интернета - сидите в бане - здоровее будете.
Вам обязательно матом надо объяснить, что вы не модератор форума и потому настаивать на соблюдении несуществующих правил - это не comme il faut? Могу, ага.
Такой вот мы грубый народ - но другого русского народа, увы, нету.

message 14: by Sergey (new)

Sergey (sergeybp) | 18 comments For Ivan:
...Что помогает идиота
В толпе сограждан различить,
Так это страстная охота
Сограждан разуму учить.

Игорь Иртеньев

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott Smithson | 13 comments Ivan wrote: "First, it's not that funny.
Second, most of the readers here do not speak Russian."

Really Ivan, lighten up. Maybe it wasn't that funny... I mean I didn't laugh much. But I can't see anything wrong with posting a link to something in Russian. Many of us do speak Russian, which is why we are here.

message 16: by Irina (new)

Irina (eereena) | 1 comments come on, people! please stop arguing and telling each other what to and not to do :)))the issue raised in the article was really interesting, let's get back to it!
is it really possible for talanted russian writers nowadays to create something truely outstanding and be supported on that, rather than end up as the one in the article?..

message 17: by Grozny (new)

Grozny | 13 comments >is it really possible for talanted russian writers nowadays to create something truely outstanding
---

I'd say - yes. There's a lot of next-gen russian authors of all kinds and flavors. "Lighten up" - while article has good points, it exaggerates situation quite a bit. That's what made me chuckle in the end.

And maybe the fact that I personally don't like Dostoevsky - he's too mad for my taste (duck and cover, here come flames).

message 18: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie | 2 comments "...St. Petersburg, with its oppressive atmosphere of the brain that is suitable for writing novels with a minimum number of paragraphs and points"

ha ha I find this funny but then, it could be just the wonky google translation. And I know machine translation is far far from perfect, but still, it makes the text somewhat accessible.

message 19: by Yuliya (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) А я вообще даже не понимаю, почему бы нам не общаться здесь на русском! У меня тоже английская клавиатура, но я помню наизусть где прячются русские буквы.... Или же можно всегда купить наклейки с русскими буквами

message 20: by John (new)

John | 30 comments Yuliya wrote: "А я вообще даже не понимаю, почему бы нам не общаться здесь на русском! У меня тоже английская клавиатура, но я помню наизусть где прячются русские буквы.... Или же можно всегда купить наклейки с р..."
Вы не поверите, но здесь далеко не все знают русский язык. Многие любят русскую литературу, и читают ее в переводе. Элементарное уважение к этим людям - вы же не станете говорить по-русски в компании друзей, которые по-русски не понимают, это неприлично.

message 21: by Sergey (new)

Sergey (sergeybp) | 18 comments Юля, как говорят на некоторых форумая: "Не кормите тролля". Вы же видите - это б е з н а д е ж н о.

message 22: by John (new)

John | 30 comments Sergey wrote: "Юля, как говорят на некоторых форумая: "Не кормите тролля". Вы же видите - это б е з н а д е ж н о."

Не беспокойтесь, я больше не буду отвечать. Бесполезно - такие, как вы, придут куда угодно, и изгадят просто ради удовольствия изгадить. "Учите олбанский, а кто не выучит, того затопчем." У советских собственная гордость, на буржуев смотрим свысока.

message 23: by Oksana (new)

Oksana | 19 comments Ребята, если знаете русскозычные группы на этом сайте, то пригласите меня, пожалуйста! Интересно бы посмотреть.

message 24: by John (new)

John | 30 comments Oksana wrote: "Ребята, если знаете русскозычные группы на этом сайте, то пригласите меня, пожалуйста! Интересно бы посмотреть."

Этот сайт не организован по отдельным языкам, он организован по литерaтурным интересам. Это американский сайт, и было бы не слишком логично пытаться расширить его на все языки мира. Есть русскоязычное сообщество в ЖЖ, называется chto_chitat, там регулярно обсуждают литературу, и, кстати, там несколько раз обсуждался вопрос о том, какие русскоязычные аналоги Goodreads существуют, и какие у них достоинства и недостатки.

message 25: by Elena (new)

Elena (pessimisticelly) | 1 comments Sorry I can't type in Russian.. It seems to be a big deal around here? I can only read, and I found the article great and I'm glad it was posted here. This group helps me improve my own Russian language a lot.

I see this group as a place for all Russian literature lovers, including Russian speaking and not.

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna (anna3101) | 5 comments Totally agree with you, Elena :) Some people like to fuss over nothing. To me, it doesn't matter how you type or what language you speak. What matters is we have the same interests and we can share them here. In any language.