Art Lovers discussion

Art Museum Forum > Museum News

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Wal-Mart Heiress Brings Art Museum To The Ozarks

by Elizabeth Blair
NPR

Of Art And Nature: A model shows one of the three ponds that will surround Crystal Bridges. The museum got its name from the two galleries that will actually serve as bridges over the ponds. Architect Moshe Safdie says his design is meant to help blend the experience of the museum's art with that of its natural surroundings.

The American art world's biggest event in decades is happening this week — but it's not where you'd expect it to be.

Bentonville, Ark., is home to Wal-Mart headquarters and, starting Nov. 11, it will also be home to the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art and what some critics are calling one of the world's best collections of American art.

Crystal Bridges is the brainchild of Wal-Mart heiress Alice Walton. While it's not as vast as New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art or the National Gallery in Washington, D.C., the museum is set to showcase an impressive collection of American art, including well-known pieces by Alexander Calder and Devorah Sperber.

Bringing The Art World To Bentonville

Crystal Bridges is often referred to as "the Wal-Mart museum," but the corporation has little to do with the art. If you go looking for an actual Wal-Mart museum in Bentonville, the closest you'll get is the Wal-Mart Visitor Center's Wal-Mart gallery.

nside Crystal Bridges, galleries will feature colonial, 19-century, modern and contemporary artworks including Alexander Calder's sculpture Trois noirs sur un rouge (center).

The company's headquarters employs more than 11,000 in Bentonville, but it isn't exactly a thriving metropolis. It has a small town square, and the rest is pretty much strip malls.

Monica Divis and her mother, Rita Divis, sit outside a restaurant on the square. Monica, who has worked for Wal-Mart for 22 years, says people from all over the world visit Bentonville — and even move to the city — to do business with Wal-Mart.

"If you sit out here long enough, you're going to hear several languages spoken," she says. "We were just in the visitor's center, and there was a lady from China buying things to take back because we have a Wal-Mart in China. There's Wal-Mart in Japan. So it is becoming an international destination."

Still, according to Rita Divis, art is something Bentonville could use more of.

A model shows a view of the Crystal Bridges pavilion some museum staff refer to as "the armadillo" because of how its curved, copper bands resemble the animal's shell.

More... http://www.npr.org/2011/11/08/1420197...

message 2: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments I shook Sam's hand once and tried unsuccessfully to do business with him. It's wonderful to see his daughter doing something artistic with her money. That's all I'll say.

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments I kind of liked this article because the thought of a somewhat major art museum in AR is nice. For one who lives in an area with very little to quench the art thirst, it gives me hope that maybe, just maybe, we will actually get some real permanent art here.

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments
Employees of the Staedel Museum transport the portrait of Pope Julius II by Raphael to its display location in Frankfurt Main,Germany, 06 December 2011. Stephan Knobloch (L), director of the restoration workshop at the Staedel accompanies them. According to museum director Hollein, the museum is extraordinarily happy to have this high Rennaissance work in their collection of old masters. There are a few versions of the painting in existance; one hangs in London, one in Florence. EPA/ANDREAS ARNOLD.

FRANKFURT.- The portrait of Pope Julius II is one of Raphael’s [sic] most famous works. It was in Rome between June 1511 and March 1512 that the artist executed his likeness of this highly art-minded – but also extremely strong-willed and irascible – pope. It shows the bearded pope in a three-quarter view, life-size, sitting in an armchair. The portrait has come down to us in several versions, of which the most well-known is in the holdings of the National Gallery in London, and another is in those of the Uffizi in Florence. The Städel Museum quite recently succeeded in acquiring a hitherto unknown version of the portrait of Pope Julius II by Raphael and his workshop. Measuring 106 by 78.4 cm and painted on a poplar panel, the work has been comprehensively examined and analyzed by art-historical as well as technological methods, and old retouchings and layers of varnish have been removed. The likeness is cap ... More...

message 5: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Feb 29, 2012 06:45AM) (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Museums love teenagers, but only if they are in uniform

Salford Museum's decision to throw out two teenagers was more about protecting its cathedral-like status than the girls' safety

By Dea Birkett
The Guardian

What do you have to do to get thrown out of a museum? Smear sticky fingers on the Persian tapestries? Scream so loud that other visitors can't thumb quietly through the browning albums of dried Azolla caroliniana? Do a cartwheel in front of a Caravaggio? Last week, two girls were asked to leave Salford Museum and Art Gallery. They were thrown out for being 13.

The museum explained that their expulsion was "for their own safety". Like most self-respecting teenagers, they'd gone out over half term without an adult.

I don't for one minute believe the museum's action was prompted by concern for any child. If that were the case, why would they propel two girls into the streets of a busy town to wander across roads all on their own among total strangers? And sadly Salford isn't the only museum to discriminate against young people; many have similar bans.

It's odd that Top Shop shares no such anxieties – my own teenager hangs out there and at vast, alienating shopping centres all the time. Libraries and leisure centres also welcome her and her friends without their mums in tow. So why is it particularly dangerous for teenagers to visit a museum unaccompanied? The real reason museums don't want them is not to protect children from danger, but to protect their precious objects and preserve their cathedral-like status. They are worried about how the teenagers will act within their highly cultured walls.

Many museums argue, completely erroneously, that they don't have a choice; it's illegal to allow teenagers in by themselves. There is no such law. But there is an age limit. For a museum to allow a child to visit aged eight or under, it may possibly need to be Ofsted registered. But any older than that, it's up to the individual institution to set its own rules.

It would be wrong to say museums shun all teenagers. They love them in school uniform, all besuited and trotting along behind a teacher. They are very keen to support "out of the classroom learning" as long as those having the lessons are accompanied by plenty of classroom assistants. They'll issue them with the modern-day equivalent of clipboards – hand-held electronic devices – and send them out on tightly controlled trails. Then they'll boast about how many young people have visited their museum each year, and how much they have learnt.

Yet if these same teenagers turned up out of school hours, dressed in hoodies, T-shirts and trainers, they'd get a very different reception. Many museums ban mobile phones at the door – sometimes the same museums that thrust gadgetry upon their school and youth-group visitors. On a recent visit to Tate Modern, even middle-aged me was told off by a gallery assistant for answering my mobile and asked to switch it off. Yet that same museum runs pioneering programmes with young people, involving some of the most hi-tech digital gadgetry available.

That's not the only irony teenagers face when trying to access our artistic and cultural heritage. Over half of Britain's museums charge entry at the door. Many of these begin to charge full admission aged 12 and up, forcing teenagers to purchase an adult ticket. Yet if two 13-year-olds turned up on their own, they'd be turfed out for not being grown up enough.

There is another relationship museums could have with their teenage visitors. Museums are wonderfully safe places. As far as I know, no museum has suffered a spate of muggings or been the scene of a murder. It's unlikely that rival teenage gangs will wage turf wars under the Tintorettos or between the Stegosaurus and the Tyrannosaurus rex. It would be difficult to clandestinely shoot up by the glass cabinets of 19th-century French porcelain. There is no casual street violence in a museum, the thing we all fear our children will get caught up in. What wonderful places museums could be for teenagers in a sometimes threatening and troubled world. They could be havens from harm. They could, in fact, be places where teenagers could congregate, hang out and wander around unaccompanied "for their own safety".

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments That's terrible.

Our local museum is making tremendous efforts to be inclusionary. It's really become a very exciting place:

http://www.santacruzmah.org/

message 7: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Feb 29, 2012 08:34PM) (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Ed wrote: "That's terrible.

Our local museum is making tremendous efforts to be inclusionary. It's really become a very exciting place:

http://www.santacruzmah.org/"

That sounds like a fun place to go. These young minds are impressionable, how else to delve into art but when you start young?

message 8: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments

This is the last weekend to see Wolfgang Laib’s "Pollen from Hazelnut"! The exhibition closes on Monday, 3/11. More info: http://bit.ly/Y2qz3Y

Watch a behind-the-scenes video about Laib's process in creating "Pollen from Hazelnut": http://bit.ly/Zs2JSZ

message 9: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Our local museum.
Watched him at work in 75 foot mural project....

http://www.santacruzmah.org/2013/have...

message 10: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Best Museums In The U.S.: Art Institute Of Chicago Takes Top Honors In Trip Advisor Reader Poll
August 11, 2013 Huff Post Chicago

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07...

The Art Institute of Chicago has been voted the top U.S. museum -- and third most popular museum worldwide -- in Trip Advisor's Travelers' Choice Attractions awards

1. Art Institute of Chicago
2. Frick Collection New York, NY
3. National Gallery of Art Washington D.C.
4. Metropolitan Museum of Art New York, NY
5. Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum Tucson, AZ

To see all of the top 25 best museums...
http://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersC...

message 11: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments I do not agree with the poll but I must say the Cornell boxes make the Art Institute of Chicago very special.

message 12: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments I don't know if I agree either, Monica. I was very surprised that the Met was 4th. But maybe the Chicago paper is a bit biased.

message 13: by Lobstergirl (last edited Aug 11, 2013 09:24PM) (new)

Lobstergirl Wow, the Frick placed second....and Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum placed fifth? Whatever that is...never heard of it.

My suspicion is that the Art Institute placed first because it has a brand new wing and people are always excited about newness.

The National Gallery in Washington should be first, not just because it's a great institution, but because it's free! For the people! All Americans. All residents of Earth! None of this $25 admission business - which is probably why the Met is 4th.

message 14: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Now we need a list of best and worst Art Museum cafeterias/cafes.

I had some really good pasta at the Vatican museum restaurant!

message 15: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments I don't think I've eaten in a museum restaurant so I wouldn't have anything to post. But, cool topic! I'll have to check that one out when I get my rear end back to Italy. I believe in good Italian pasta!

message 16: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl How do you avoid eating at museum restaurants? Looking at art is exhausting - makes me very hungry and thirsty and desperate to sit down. If I don't make it to the museum cafeteria, at least I have to go outside to the hotdog vendor!

message 17: by Dvora (new)

Dvora I like art (and like to read about art and artists), but I have to say I like food more (both to experience and to read about. So here's a thread I can really relate to! Thanks, Lobstergirl.
I don't often go to museums, but I did visit the Guggenheim in Bilbao a few years back and can heartily recommend their restaurant. It is't too expensive for lunch and it's wonderful (Make a reservation if you plan to go)
Lobstergirl wrote: "Now we need a list of best and worst Art Museum cafeterias/cafes.

I had some really good pasta at the Vatican museum restaurant!"

message 18: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments NY Guggenheim has a spot on restaurant.

message 19: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments I think we need a thread just for the 'culinary arts'. It is an art form, right?

message 20: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Heather wrote: "I think we need a thread just for the 'culinary arts'. It is an art form, right?"

"There are only two true arts, painting and ornamental pastry" -- Claude Lorraine

One of my favorite art quotes of all time.....

message 21: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Ed wrote: "Heather wrote: "I think we need a thread just for the 'culinary arts'. It is an art form, right?"

"There are only two true arts, painting and ornamental pastry" -- Claude Lorraine

One of my favor..."

great quote!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Ed wrote: "Heather wrote: "I think we need a thread just for the 'culinary arts'. It is an art form, right?"

One of my favor..."

I actually joined this group because my daughter is the artist. She's in her Senior year as an art major. Funnily enough she has always had a love for culinary art but I don't think she ever put it all together in her mind. For that matter neither did I! I think the artist mind seems to work in many areas.