The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > ocd bookcare

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (goosers34) got to thinking after I read a few other topics..

Is anyone as ocd about there books as I am?

I try not to crease the bindings, covers or pages. no dogears ever. If I write in a book or underline anything it is with pencil. the whole writing in my books thing is a weird habit started in college upon the inisitence of a poetry professor (grades depended on it). It took me two full days to arrange bookshelves when we moved.

I am sure I am not the only one!...Please tell me I'm not....

message 2: by Cheri Howard (new)

Cheri Howard Not me, I look at a book that's dog-eared and creased as well-loved!

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10123 comments Mod
oh wow..... writing in book is a huge no no for me. I cant do it. Textbooks for school are one thing, but books read for pleasure.... uh uh.. no way.

I never crack a spine and want to cry when I see books that are so cracked and split that you cant even read the title on it... poor poor babies....

message 4: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (petra-x) I can't write in books. I can drop food on them, turn over pages, lose the jackets but write in them, no! Doesn't make sense really.

I am totally OCD about classification of books by subject then author in my bookshop so when I come home, so long as the books are on shelves in piles I don't care. I do tend to separate out the hardbacks from the paperbacks though. Mostly because when the bookshelves overflow I give away the paperbacks but never the hardbacks.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I'm not overly protective of my books. But if they start to fall apart, I lovingly tape them back together, rather than buying a new one. I wouldn't want to lose all my notes. ^^

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren *alphabetical order on my book shelves by authors last name.
*dont open it too wide or the spine gets creases.
*dont write in it except my name in the front even though I dont lend books out (why I write my name then I dont know)
*dont lend books out they either come back with bent front covers, creasy spines or dont come back at all.
*no dog ears

i think thats all....

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 510 comments I'm ocd when picking out a new book to buy. I rarely take the copy on top. I pick through until I find the "perfect" one. This habit has been ridiculed by family and friends, but I continue.

message 8: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 33 comments I am definitely ocd about my books. It's kind of a family joke even. I treat books with care and respect (this is something I am trying to pass on to my son as well). No writing, no folding pages, I only use bookmarks. No creases on the spine. I never open a book fully, and I cringe when I see others do it, or worse if they fold the book in half backwards!

My husband doesn't get it, and after almost nine years I still have to tell him to be careful with my books.

I also arrange my books in certain ways on the shelf, and I rearrange frequently in various methods to see what I like best. I cannot stand a haphazard shelfing system.

message 9: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments No writing in the book, no using of the page to mark where you finished, no throwing with the books (not even to just make it land on the bed), preferably be held only about myself (I know it is alot to ask but when someone wants to read the backcover or so, i am always watching and being afraid that they will do a NO NO with my book), I take really well care of them(even if they aren't mine and come from the library), can't stand it when someone else threats there books 'bad'.....okay I threat them like people should threat there babies. They are so dear to me....

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments Hmm...I didn't even thnk of that. I usually shelf mine by theme. Text book, religious studies, fiction, poetry, art books, writing, Stephen King, etc...

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Never, ever, dog-ear. Don't crease the spine. No writing of any kind, pens and pencils must always stay far away from my books.

message 12: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I have a simple rule actually: everybody has to threat books like they are the most precious thing in the world, like they are gold (if gold is something you would threat with white, expensive gloves!), like the world is lost when you break any of the rules....

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (goosers34) It is interesting how many people say no way to writing in books. I agree but do it anyway. (again weird habit from college)

I write in margins. underline sentences. star passages. etc. I NEVER write my name in my book, mainly for fear someone will pick it up and think I am a complete idiot based on my observations and underscores. And I have been known to tape few things back together, too

But I guess my ocd is somewhat oxymoronic. I don't do many of the things I think give a book character. Cheri is right.

a worn-out book is also well-loved and well-read. It has traveled the world, seen things, met people.

message 14: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (petra-x) If people picked up one of my well-loved, well-read books the first thought they would have is, "This belongs to a dirty eater."

They'd be right. But only when I'm so into the book I leave the fork hovering in the air.

message 15: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Sarah, I did it but I found it difficult to even write in my books/courses of Uni. That's maybe why I would summarise every course and learn from that.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I am anal about my bookcare. I always take the dust jacket off the hardback when I read it. If I love the book and have it in hardback I buy a paperback copy to read so the hardback doesn't get damaged.

I don't ever write in books. I loaned a book to a friend who highlighted in it. Needless to say I don't loan books out anymore. I was so upset!

message 17: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments I ADORE books and try not to spoil their binding and pages while reading. It was such a mania with me till few years back that I never allowed my mom to read a book(esp. ones that I love) folded on its binding. Now, I'm a bit relaxed about it all but on my part I try my best to read with care.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I just read a book from the library. And when I got about a 5th into it, half a crumbled cracker fell into my lap.

message 19: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (petra-x) Abigail you can't stop there! What did you do?

a) Cry 'ewwwww' and drop the book
b) Shake the cracker on to the floor (where the dog, who isn't fussy, got it) and carry on reading, or
c) eat the cracker yourself?

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments EEWW! Lol...I shook it out over the trash (I don't have a dog or any pets actually) and finished the book.

message 21: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (petra-x) Pretty gross to find someone else's food dropped in your book. But funny to read about!

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments At least it was just cracker crumbs. It could have been a lot worse! ;)

message 23: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (petra-x) Danish bleu cheese crumbs!

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Mmm...crumbled bleu cheese is the best. I love it on my salads.

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Although I would not want to find it in my book!

message 26: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Petra, i was wondering what would have happened now when getting to this page and have it open on a post of Danish Blue cheese crumbs!!! You have a sick mind!!! :-)))))) But continue along the way of the cheese crumbs, the poo talk was too bad!!! :-))
I hate it when I find crisps between books of the library. I already see the whole image of someone reading the book whole eating crisps and touching that sweet innocent book with greassy fingers..:-((((((

message 27: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (petra-x) I didn't talk about poo, Jeane. That wasn't me. I was the one talking about vomit :-)

I must say though that every now and again I do have to turn my laptop upside down and beat its little bottom so that the crumbs, cat hairs and assorted mini-insect corpses can fall out. No bleu cheese though. Not yet :-)

message 28: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 38 comments At the risk of demolishing any "normal" thought anyone had about me, I am very OCD. Not only are my book never written in, if it becomes too worn from reading, i have get another one. I like mine by author's name, then title, then smaller copy to the right. I love my books. If they have a sticker on them, it must be removed once i read it. I figure I have loved books as a first memory, I am not materialistic at all. I can live with my book issues, I figure I make up for it other ways lol

KB

message 29: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments bleh Petra and Fiona. Yes it was Petra with the vomit and Fiona with the poo....I jsut start to see them all mixed up, vomit, poo, blue cheese....

message 30: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (petra-x) I know what you mean the books, Kristin. I don't reread books (hardly ever) but I only have to look at the cover and I am taken back to it. A room full of books is a room full of memories.

message 31: by Lynai (new)

Lynai i highlight wonderful quotes from books i read, a habit i acquired while still in lawschool. a professor once told me my textbooks look like coloring books.

but i don't think my "highlighting" behavior counts as ocd. :)

message 32: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (petra-x) Jeane you are as guilty as Fiona and me. It was you that 'brought up' the blue cheese :-D

message 33: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) You're in good company Sarah!
I, too, am like that. There also comes a point that my friends shun or name calls me selfish for when they always see a book I'm reading they're also itching their hands to borrow it.
Just to protect these special loved ones of mine (read:book) I don't just lend my book to someone who, I justify, cannot reciprocate the same tender loving care I have for my books.
I suffer your same ails. I consider my books precious collections and intends to keep them in god shape for posterity (how odd does that sound?!)
I even choose the finest plastic cover available (I do cover my books, even those hardbound ones) just to ensure that they will always be "clean" to look at.
It is doesn't just a thing we place on our shelves. I consider every book of mine have a shelf-life...
So fret not..Stop worrying..It's just part of being a book enthusiast!!!
My warm regards and happy reading.. ^_^

message 34: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Petra, meeeeee?????!!!!!!! Nooooooo...it was the first view I gotof this thread and hmmmm, guess whose name was next to it: Petra X, the vomit-girl:-))))

I got a bit scared to reply on anything like poo, vomit, cheese...after I saw Lori her picture!

message 35: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10123 comments Mod
oh, Jeane, you are too funny! I dont care about the vomit/poo/cheese talk. You obviously arent aware of the potty mouth I have... haa haa!
Im all good with that kinda talk....

(psttt... im really not as tough as i look!)

message 36: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments And you doooo look really tough!!!!!! The talk is okay, in some way...the images I get in my head not at all!!!!

message 37: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (petra-x) Jeane, your message 28 is where blue cheese first came up. It all did get a bit gross didn't it and I do admit it was mostly me and Fiona but you added the cheese!

message 38: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Okay Petra, so Fiona is the poo girl, you are the vomit-girl and I am the cheese-girl? I am soooo okay with that!!!!! :-))))))

message 39: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Fiona!!! Don't go that road again!!! :-)))) You know the images you get in your head? well the mix doesn't give nice once at all!

message 40: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Oh Fiona!! That's tough. I understand that you are really stressed about lending your book. I would be too. And like you say, telling him would make him not want to read the book anymore and it is great when someone wants to read a book, isn't it?
Good luck!!!!! If something happens, look at the good side: you will always be able to think that you gave him the pleasure of reading that book! (I hope it is a good book, but how you sounds it must be!)

message 41: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (petra-x) No Jeane, you are the chocolate girl around here :-)

message 42: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Hmmm..white chocolate...really nearby....hmmmmm

JG (Introverted Reader) Yeah, Jeane's the chocolate girl and Laura's the cheese girl. :-)

message 44: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments You really shouldn't call me like that, otherwise the couple of moments with me thinking about chocolate will be gone too!

message 45: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (petra-x) Please don't say I'm the v... girl. I'm the Barbie girl living in a barbie wo-o-o-o-rld.

message 46: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments :-)
Sometimes I am watching up to see under what subect I am writing because what we are writing doens't tell you that!!! Like now: cheese, chocolate, v- and p- girls and the subject is ocd bookcare! :-) And not only this one:-)))))